FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Free .078 Music Wire

<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:05 am

Free .078 Music Wire

Hey folks,

I ordered a TON of .078 music wire, because 15x 36" rods of .078 music wire was gonna cost me ~$9 shipped, and 30x was gonna cost me ~$12, and it arrived today. Even 15x is probably more than I need, so who here wants some music wire?

I figure I can cut 6" lengths and tape/wrap them before putting in an envelope and mailing within the US, I have plenty o stamps (not sure if regular 1 stamp US mail will get to Canada?).

Not asking for anything in trade (these aren't worth much anyways), just trying to share the love.

Depending on how many take me up on this, I picture being able to send 5-6x 6" pieces per envelope. If a bunch of ppl take me up, I will likely reduce to 3 per package, and we will say I can afford to give up 15x of the 36" rods (I fully expect to be terrible at crafting at first, hence will end up with alot of useless pcs of metal wire), making for 90x 6" rods that I can mail, or at least 30 envelopes of 3 pcs each.

My way of saying thanks for the collective wisdom! PM me shipping info if interested, expect slow shipping.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Free .078 Music Wire

Been hunting some myself. I'm in
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:18 am

Very kind of you!! I'd certainly be interested if it works out. PMing now.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 am

I would be interested in some music wire, and will send you something back,

this type of wire can make very good loop handle hook picks. very effective picks and the easiest to make of any handmade pick.
bend the loop, to fit your middle finger loosely,

for hooks, you just bend the loop stick your middle finger in it and then put a bend over or just in front of your forefinger while your middle finger is in the loop.

this creates the shaft, next bend the hook picktip on it about an inch and a quarter of shaft
do not cut the final length at the hook end but leave half an inch after the hook picktip end because this will allow some thinning of the picktip whithout going too thin, when the shaft and tip end are thinned out and some of the sanding is done on the shaft,
then it is time to cut the length of the hook where you want it, (go for small or medium, there is little use for large hooks.)
then finish the sanding through 220 320 400 and 600 grit
you can put the sandpaper in some old paperback book and use this as a sanding tool. you can see this on one of bosnian bills pickmaking/sanding videos.

there is a thread called "tribute to rai" that will show you these loop handle picks,
that thread was started by Gweins2000 perhaps that will help you find it.

My address is
Removed by Riyame
thanks
Rai
Last edited by Riyame on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed publicly displayed address for safety and privacy reasons
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks, Rai! And I will do!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 am

That is exactly what I did a few years ago - bought a bunch and have been slowly parting it out.
Rai - you probably want to remove your address from this public post.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39 am

:agree: I already recorded it for sending the pkg.
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:12 pm

So the tracking number went from out for delivery to undeliverable address. this happened once before and it was just delivered the next day, so fingers crossed it delivers tomorrow. worst case another week to get replacements. that just allows more time for sign ups i guess.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:07 am

Hope you don't mind. Bumping for a great deal
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:10 pm

No problem. Got the pkg, was damaged and missing some of the wire. Replacement already otw. Will likely be ready to send on Friday, still have room for more interested parties.
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 am

Hey guys, got the replacement package, and it has NINETY 36 inch rods of .078 music wire (originally ordered 30, got only 6, was told replacement would be full 30). Soooooo, lots to give away, at some point I will simply ask for a self addressed stamped envelope to send these out, but not till I run out of my current book of stamps, so still a few truly free sets to be given out. I need to bust out the dremel and cut these to size, should have all those who have PM'd me mailed by Friday or Saturday.

For those who asked, I bought this on Amazon, through a seller called Hipp Modern Builders Supply. I think they originally had the item mis-priced (was ~$2 per 15 pack, with ~$8 shipping, when I added 2 to the cart, shipping stayed the same), but I cannot confirm as that seller is no longer offering this item on Amazon (I may have wiped them out -
I asked if they meant to send 90, they said yes, as an apology, though the issue was not that big a deal or delay). Either way, the issue was resolved quickly, politely, and MORE than fairly. End unsolicited seller endorsement.

Open to all, I saw some new folks introduce themselves over the weekend, Welcome guys and know that all on this forum are welcome to this offer. Hopefully in a few weeks we will have a flood of new home brew posts with fun and interesting tools made with this wire.

Again, PM me with shipping info if you want in.

Cheers guys! :hbg:
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:01 pm

OK - recounted stamps, and did some USPS postal calculation, so stamps are all taken, anyone wanting to take advantage (still plenty of wire) simply need to mail me a self addressed stamped envelope (easier for me), or at least the stamps to mail it (98 cents postage, I have plenty ov envelopes and packing material). PM me for where to send the postage.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:20 pm

A very generous things you are doing Freek. I am all wired up to make some wire tension tools :). I think I will like them much more than the standard wiper insert tools just because its all round and smooth and takes up less space.
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Over some years, I've had a wonderful overall experience with ebay.
Nearly all sellers are very respectful and willing to go the extra mile.

It's great to hear you made out so well because of the mishap.
Again, very generous of you to spread some of these around!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Took a little longer than expected, but they are all packed up amd stamped. Envelopes go out tomorrow. To those who generously offered to send something back, my address is on the envelope or you can pm me. Everyone is getting 3x 8in pcs and 9x 7in pcs cause i wanted to send 7 inch pcs so there is a little extra length to cut to size and that left some 8 inch pcs. They arent the most even cuts, lol, but i was cutting them after i got home from my weekend job as a craft beer sherpa (tour guide) so, yea.. Anyways enjoy folks and i hope to see some cool homebrew tools in the coming weeks. Still plenty more for anyone who wants to send a SASE with 98cent postage. :hbg: :hbg: :hbg:
Next

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade