FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pull type impressioning tools

<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Pull type impressioning tools

dires.jpg

I am coming to the UK for xmas and can bring a limited qty of Dires type impressioning tools with me for interested parties. Anyone wanting one will need to let me know very quickly.

100 quid inc postage within the UK when there. Payment in advance (I have to order these specially) paypal or CC.

Limited qty available at supplier. PM me if interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am

Re: Pull type impressioning tools

Can you give some more info on what this tool does and how it's used ?
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Can you put one an Santa's Slay , and send it to me in usa. Santa knows I'm good for it - Thanks
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 am

I've had a few enquires from the US. The postage is a killer, plus it's rather 'coals to newcastle' ...
Bramah Australasia

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 am

Werewolf wrote:Can you give some more info on what this tool does and how it's used ?

Sold by LSC . com aus - clamps key & trigger action marks key... have not linked site

we got coal in Europe too - ???? as to the tool your selling looks like a bottle cork puller ... need one xmas lol

we got cork screws - in Europe too ... confirmed after checking ..... Happy xmas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

The tool was invented by Grumbach. Known as the Grumbach impressioning System. It is very old and never liked by anyone that knows how to impression locks correctly. Dire was or is a locksmith supply company at 2001 Broadway Denver Colorado 80250.

You simply clamp key blank hole in adjustable clamp with the wing nut. Then use handle just like a pair of vise grips to obtain initial marks to get spacing then continue getting marks the same way until you have some cuts that are deep enough to have a dip in them. Then insert tool instead of binding and bumping you bind and pull the trigger which pushes out the rod and forces the key to be pulled out and marring up the face of the lock it is pressing against. Only take one or to times doing this the lock looks like hell. With this method if cuts are deep enough on the blank like a number 2 level you will see a stretched mark on the cuts the more pronounced they are you can only assume that key needs to be filed down some more. But even when cut is at level of depth is it is suppose to be you will still see it digging into blank but really obvious because the pin is at shearline and doesn't move up like ones that aren't incorrect. So essentially you can do this same procedure with ordinary vise grips and bind and pull out on grip and NOT mar up the face of the lock. Grumbach tool only works on pin tumbler locks. If you are stupid enough to try it on a wafer lock it bends every wafer in the lock and you are screwed. I have the cheaper blue model and the super fancy chrome model I got from a locksmith shop I worked for decades. They gave them to me because nobody ever used them as they are basically a useless tool but looks like you have something special instead of vise grips. One they they will do better than anything is start tearing the key blank at the shoulder immediately because you have so much leverage with the gun grip like handle. The tool and the method is worth zero dollars. Dire company distributed a book called The Impressioning System of Key Fitting revised edition 1946 by S.A. McLean. This should tell you how old this tool is as they proudly show a hand drawn picture of it on first page in book. If you use one be prepared to throw away lots of blanks and possibly damage the appearance of ANY lock you use it on. Or you can use any other tool that clamps a key blank and simply bind and pull out on grips to get the same results without damage. You decide what you would like to do. :mrgreen:

P.S. In retrospect to the above I must add I am not trying to slow down any possible sales of this tool this is just my option and anyone I know that ever used one which is limited. No disrespect to original post in anyway meant. The above post is in reply to wondering how tool works.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 am

I have no more time to get more, so anyone else that wanted one - sorry.

A comment re the post from Mr Wizard.

I've taught impressioning, both bump and pull and when correctly instructed in it's use I would say over 90 % of the people I taught greatly prefer the pull system. Every system has pro's and con's and I don't mind listing some :

Cons - not for wafer locks, can require a specially prepared keyblank, requires spacing discipline

Pro - Marks are very very very very (you get the idea) much better than bump, works well on tight keyways such as restricted keys where blanks do not move up / down easily, greatly reduced marking on the lock plug, no loose locks, no cracked or broken keys from bumping stresses.

I can only assume the Mr Wizard does not know what he is doing with the tool.

Furthermore I designed an enhanced and updated version of the tool which is extensively used in certain circles. Proof of the pudding as they say ...
Bramah Australasia

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:29 pm

oldlock wrote:I've taught impressioning, both bump and pull and when correctly instructed in it's use I would say over 90 % of the people I taught greatly prefer the pull system. Every system has pro's and con's and I don't mind listing some

What is this "bump" method you mentioned? Never ever heard that term when talking and watching and doing impressioning.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Your assumption would be wrong and yes you get really really really great stretch marks that screws with the spacing right away. The pull method is fine if you are half blind and cant see the marks or in dim lighting. I just prefer the standard bind and bump method, the spacing is dead accurate and is the preferred method by true professionals. I have taught impressioning at ALOA seminars on and off for years I am well versed with all methods. Have had these Grumbach pull tools since 1978 and documented instruction from the guy that invented the tool how to use it properly. I don't like them and don't need it to do the pull method and don't have to worry about marring the face of the customers lock which is going to happen unless you pad it to protect it somehow if using this tool to some degree. There are times when pulling will yield a mark where bind and bump aren't working well this is true. But an inline straight gripping handle is superior in everyway than a pistol grip handle that many are heavy handed with and blanks will start to tear too easily. Much depends on brand of blank used and lock you are impressioning . I would be very interested in seeing an updated enhanced version of this tool. Innovated improvements are always a welcome sight to see. Wish you the best with your effort.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 am

You will need a login to see the tool :

http://mbausa.com/providence-elite-impr ... ith-light/

I no longer have any commercial involvement with the tool or the company that produces it, I am however pleased with it and what It can achieve .
Bramah Australasia

<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:30 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... EJGtInDSkg

If all went well the link will take you to MBA's 2015 tool catalog, on page three is the tool.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm

:shock:

At $1,295 USD, think I'll stick with vise-grips.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 pm

That is what I thought also that is insane an price. :shock:

Richard
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Just a quick reply. Yes it's very expensive. However short run CNC production plus prototypes IS very expensive to do ..

However a reasonable number of tools have sold world-wide.
Bramah Australasia

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm

oldlock wrote:Just a quick reply. Yes it's very expensive. However short run CNC production plus prototypes IS very expensive to do ..

However a reasonable number of tools have sold world-wide.

Will agree that short run CNC production would be prohibitively expensive. If I had that kind of money available to spend, might consider it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
Next

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade