FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tubular Lock Pick

<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:42 am

Tubular Lock Pick

Tubular Lock Pick

A tubular lock pick is a specialized lockpicking tool used for opening a tubular pin tumbler lock. Tubular lock picks are all very similar in design and come in sizes to fit all major tubular locks, including 6, 7, and 8-pin locks.
tpxa-7_med.gif

The tool is simply inserted into the lock and turned clockwise with medium tension. As the tool is pushed into the lock, each of the picks is slowly forced down until they stop, thus binding the driver pins behind the shear line of the lock. When the final pick is pushed down, the shear plane is clear and the lock opens. This can usually be accomplished in a matter of seconds.

Most tubular lock picks come with a "decoder" which lets the locksmith know at what depths the pins broke the shear plane. By using the decoding key after the lock has been picked, the locksmith can cut a tubular key to the correct pin depths and thus avoid having to replace the lock.

In 2004 it was widely publicized that the barrel of a cheap ballpoint pen would act as an effective lock pick for many brands of tubular lock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

ChipShuhart

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:39 am

Re: Tubular Lock Pick

I had one for awhile but recently sold it. It worked great for most tubular locks it was made for but you should know a few things. Many tubular locks are 7-pin offset left or right, or 8 pin. This means the clock positions of the pins has been rotated one position to the left or right and thus a normal tubular lock pick wont work, and you will need an offset-type lock pick. Also know that some tubular locks have springs of different materials for different stiffness, which forces you to SPP with the tool which is much more difficult and time consuming. But all in all, they work great and there is really no better way to open a tubular lock. They also decode the lock when you open it so that you can get a key cut. Hope that helps.
<<

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:11 pm

i've hardly ever used mine, it's not very often i have to open tubular locks on a job either
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:27 am

ChipShuhart wrote:I had one for awhile but recently sold it. It worked great for most tubular locks it was made for but you should know a few things. Many tubular locks are 7-pin offset left or right, or 8 pin. This means the clock positions of the pins has been rotated one position to the left or right and thus a normal tubular lock pick wont work, and you will need an offset-type lock pick. Also know that some tubular locks have springs of different materials for different stiffness, which forces you to SPP with the tool which is much more difficult and time consuming. But all in all, they work great and there is really no better way to open a tubular lock. They also decode the lock when you open it so that you can get a key cut. Hope that helps.

I haven't seen a tubular lock anywhere in a few years, they seem to have all disappeared from common use. They haven't been on vending machine either for years now that I think about it. All of the vending machines I have seen use TuBAR and ABLOY. Even the ones used on the Club and the one that goes around the brake pedal are awkward size tubular locks that no tube pick in commercial circulation is made to pick. I have rarely seen tubular cam locks as well. Sort of a dying breed in locks it seems in my location.
<<

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:54 am

they seem to be everyware in the UK, they are very commmon on condom machines arround here :D
<<

ChipShuhart

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 pm

I see them all over the place, but I agree that they are less common than they used to be. I guess people caught on to how fast you can open a vending machine with the right tool, and take off with 80 bucks no problem.
<<

Rytanfan93

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:41 am

Tubular locks don't get the respect they deserve. Here's a goody from 1991, Kurt Cobain was jammin, Pickmasters(click to enlarge) COMPLETE, picksets. We're talking 10 and 11 pin within a pin here. Even accomidations for a Greenwald (deeply shrouded,armor plated-vandal proof-drill proof) housing. You can take your 7 or 8 pin ACE and call it a day. But these 9 and up, pin with in a pin tubular locks were not easily compromised by any HB or mod. Because of the pin within a pin, you could not modify exsisiting ACE picks. Trust me I tried to file one from HPC. These 9 and up, pin within a pin were once UL listed pickproof, then came Medeco and the infamous 5k reward for anyone who could compromise the Patriot sys(signature req for dup) biaxl.

Most of you may laugh at ACE tubs. But if anyone is fortunate enough to get hold of a REAL Greenwald gem, trust me, they aint easy pickins.

Enjoy this scan from my personal old school catalog collecion. For info and novelty purposes here.

Anyone who has a tubular lock north of 8 pins-CALL ME ASAP! Rare collectible- for me at least. (woohoo)

I believe this forum will enjoy this.

Again, Thank you for allowing me to participate.

Rytanfan93
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Release the hounds"
<<

Rytanfan93

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:42 am

Romstar- back me up on this one. You know.
"Release the hounds"
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:43 pm

I have done the Bic pen trick on my cable lock for my laptop and it does work!
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 am

can these sort of locks b sppd????????
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 am

Yes they can. Tubular locks can be SPP's so long as you have the right tension. It's been discussed many times.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 pm

What is this "bic pen" trick, any links or info on making it would be nice.
<<

barbarian

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Google is your friend..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qnHKoCYvM

You just stick the pen in there. The plastic is soft enough to impression the lock.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:14 pm

wow thats pretty cool im guessing it doesnt work on all tubular locks
barbarian wrote:Google is your friend..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qnHKoCYvM

You just stick the pen in there. The plastic is soft enough to impression the lock.
<<

kamikaze

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:11 am

I´m Trying this "Trick" of self-Impression on a 7-Pin Tubular in
Many ways with Tubes,Pins etc and it Doesn`t work...
Is there might be a Trick or somethin?
Next

Return to Tubular Locks