FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock ID Help

<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Lock ID Help

Don't know if this is the right section or not, but have a customer who has lost his keys for his pinball machine. I know the pictures suck but they were taken with my camer phone on-site. Not sure the name of the lock or how though they are to pick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate to drill a lock, but if I can pick it I can just replace it with a tubular cam lock. Thanks.

Little more info, there are pins at 12, 10 and 2 and several pins around 4 5 6 7 8 o'clock. There is no little notch like a standard tubular lock, so not sure how it is tensioned either, it is totally round inner plug and outer shell. Thanks again.
Last edited by KokomoLock on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Lock ID Help

How many pins does the lock have ? 7 - 8 - 10 ??
<<

KokomoLock

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 pm

8 Pins.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 am

No idea kokomo, but there must be some way to tension it... I can see a little concave dimple on the right hand side but it's not nearly deep enough to use for tension, maybe you could try tensioning one of the pins themselves.
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 am

Try tensioning through one of the pin holes using a small dia. L shapped
tool. I have seen a only a few of these type of tubular variants-but never
had the chance to pick one. This style of lock was somewhat popularized
about ten to fifteen years ago. The intent of the altered pin positions was,
of course, to thwart the use of the common tubular pick.
<<

Jimmy-slim-smith

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:17 pm

Hey,,,,what you have there is the newer style pin ball lock, it is tubular but it has some diffrent security fetures with it........like if you look into the keyway you will notice the standord style tubular pins,,,,,,along with that you will notice that there are two/three ball bearings on the iside of the keyway,,,,,thats a tough lock to open with no keys, I used to have a box full of them,
the key,,,,,,its looks like a standord tubular key but in the area between the cuts on the tip of the key and the key bow there are dimples.....some times two other times three depending on the security level in the lock, these dimples activated the ball bearings inside the keyway and are another security feature....
as far a picing it,, its possable,,, its hard but we all no its possable,,
now making a key for it,,,,oh boy your in for some work, it cant be impressioned,,,,or decoded that i no of,,
if you need to makea key for it then you are going to go through
hell,,,,lol...seriously,,,,,but,,,what i would do is find out how many they have,,,,{all keyed alike,,this is were hobby vs real locksmith comes in,, a hobby guy would spend years trying to figure it out and make a key....but as a locksmith i look at the $ signs,,,,,,and....say if you were to sell the customer new locks you coudl make some money,,,,then you could drill out all there other locks,,,,get a little labor in there,,,and then install all there new locks. sounds like a productive couple hours ot me...lol..

Oh and for some reason i dont think you will be able to use a tubular saw bit to drill out the locks becuase you still have the ball bearings locking it as well as the pins.
I personally believe this is a pretty good lock as far as tubular locks, I dont care much for tubular locks beucase all the pins are exposed and able to to be seen but this one with the extra security feature...there tough,,,,
no tubular lock tool will work,

no much help but,,,,,,theres my 2 cents,

If you cant find a way to tention the inner cylinder attempt to drill a 1/16th hole in face of the lock,,,next to the keyhole,,,on the inner cylinder then use that small hole for a place to hold tention, ....
<<

KokomoLock

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Jimmy-Slim do you have any idea on the name of this lock???? I have spent forever on the internet looking at pictures of every lock ever made for gaming machines and cam locks and have not found anything close!!!!
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Thanks for the reply Jimmy-Slim do you have any idea on the name of this lock???? I have spent forever on the internet looking at pictures of every lock ever made for gaming machines and cam locks and have not found anything close!!!!

Long shot I know ,, sometimes there,s a sticker on the back of the machine with the company details of the folks that supply the equipment, more often than not they,ll remove the manufacturers locks and put their own on so their collectors / engineers have a master key to gain access,,Then when the machine gets sold on they will be sure to change the lock again...So there may be some mileage in looking up the machine supplier ....not much help I know but never say never :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

Jimmy-slim-smith

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:05 pm

To be honest I am not 100% sure what the name of this lock is or what company makes it ....but, I was just going through some stuff checking if i still had some of those locks and I do,, and another thing is while i was taking some pictures of it i noticed that on the side of the lock theres a code, so,, when i get back i will run the code and see what come up...that should narrow down who makes it, and where to get them, Ill tell ya man,, these locks are in every arcade in the northwest! there everywhere..

heres a better and more detailed picture, its obvious that a ace pick will not work becuase the pins are off set,

Oh,,,and if your interested,,,,i have some of these locks with no keys you can have to cut up and figure them out,
<<

KokomoLock

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks JImmy-Slim, I sent you a PM.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm

whats the code on that one to see what kind of lock it is??
<<

KokomoLock

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm

http://www.compxnet.com/products-natmtogaming.html

Found it Finally, it is a CompX National KeSet Camlock !!!!!!!!!
<<

Jimmy-slim-smith

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:37 am

I ran the code with no luck at all, it pulled up some old yale locks and we no thats not right, however i was able to make a breakthrough, the locks i have are not installed on anything so,,,,holding the lock in hand and using the tail peace as a way of applying tention i was able to use a stright pick to singlely pick each pin,,,,,,and holy smokes it worked,, I picked it with no problems at all,.,,,,the damn ball bearing didnt have anything to do with it,
also,,, while asking around about this lock i was told that the tubular looking keys come pre-cut with the dimples on the sides for the ball bearings,,,,and to be honest they didnt seem to do anything in the lock, ...

this lock is very pickable as i just picked it....but it picked like spp'ing a ace,,,,,,it only turns ablt 10 dagrees,,,,to pick it all the way open ....you would have to pick it as many times as there are pins in the lock becuase after every 10 dagree turn the lock will relock itsself,
<<

rickthepick

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 am

I dismantled and picked one a few months ago

aparently theyre pretty sketchy with a key to them.

The ball bearings are simply a warding mechanism to prevent tubular style tools being used.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks Rick! That's good info to know, and more proof that even locks that look impossible to pick, can be picked. When Jimmy says it's easy though, it probably isn't for the majority of people, that guys has experience with nearly everything! Oh, I forgot, how do you tension it??
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
Next

Return to Tubular Locks