FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The "Bowley Lock": Canada's newest and coolest lock!

<<

keymaster1053

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:35 am

Re: The "Bowley Lock": Canada's newest and coolest lock!

Just my two cents here. what would happen if this lock was to be mounted upsidedown on the door? I assume, lock out? as the free floating pin would never be in the proper "down" position? (gotta remember, the average joe that installs these, isn't the brightest bulb) LOL
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

keymaster1053

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 am

Bowley lock company wrote:Believe me i wish i could tell you yes. But I need to get these on a screw machine in order to bring the price down. And i need to be in the thousands. The few in my possession are done on standard cnc equiment and they over $300.00 each cost to me. And I need to be fair to everyone who wants this as a challenge, so its only fair to send them at the same time to everybody.
Sorry!
I have been bombarded by emails from the kickstarter about free samples and people wanting to distribute, but unfortunately we are not in the financial position to do that until after kickstarter.

2 questions, first can this lock be masterkeyed? and second, if I (or anyone) backs the kickstarter at say the one complete deadbolt package, if you don't meet your 500K goal, do I (they) still get a lock?
thanks.
great idea!
Keymaster
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 am

keymaster1053 wrote:
Bowley lock company wrote:Believe me i wish i could tell you yes. But I need to get these on a screw machine in order to bring the price down. And i need to be in the thousands. The few in my possession are done on standard cnc equiment and they over $300.00 each cost to me. And I need to be fair to everyone who wants this as a challenge, so its only fair to send them at the same time to everybody.
Sorry!
I have been bombarded by emails from the kickstarter about free samples and people wanting to distribute, but unfortunately we are not in the financial position to do that until after kickstarter.

2 questions, first can this lock be masterkeyed? and second, if I (or anyone) backs the kickstarter at say the one complete deadbolt package, if you don't meet your 500K goal, do I (they) still get a lock?
thanks.
great idea!
Keymaster

If the funding goal is not met nobody has to pay so nobody will get the rewards.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 am

keymaster1053 wrote:Just my two cents here. what would happen if this lock was to be mounted upsidedown on the door? I assume, lock out? as the free floating pin would never be in the proper "down" position? (gotta remember, the average joe that installs these, isn't the brightest bulb) LOL

What free floating pin? Your post is the first mention of a free floating pin that I can find.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:14 pm

More interesting to me is the construction of the lock. It doesn't appear to be installed any differently than a Defiant deadbolt. I would like to see how the lock is made (Construction snd strength of materials). Also, I would like to see the same construction of the bolt. How much of it remains inside the door, when it is fully extended. The world doesn't really need more pick resistant or bump resistant locks. We need better strength.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

keymaster1053

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
keymaster1053 wrote:Just my two cents here. what would happen if this lock was to be mounted upsidedown on the door? I assume, lock out? as the free floating pin would never be in the proper "down" position? (gotta remember, the average joe that installs these, isn't the brightest bulb) LOL

What free floating pin? Your post is the first mention of a free floating pin that I can find.

ckc123's post said this:
Same comments I made on another forum for this lock..

their statement about the oversetting of the pins and "falling" is not correct.

if you look at the design of the inner cylinder, when the key is not in the vertical position, yes they are over set.. but that's irrelevant since the key won't line up with the slot to put tension on the core..

NOW.. once you put the key vertically, yes they do fall.. BUT.. you still can't open the lock (even normally) when you first get to the vertical position. you have to push it in. when you push it in, the pins are in the same position as a regular pin lock.. they are DOWN.. (not up. ans they have already fallen).

that's where I used the term free floating, possibly not the correct terminology. Unless I'm not understanding how those particular pins work?? let me know. thanks.
KM
<<

Bowley lock company

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Keymaster,
Mounting the lock upside down does not affect the operation what so ever. The springs are far more forceful than gravity!
Regards,
Ryan
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Ryan, VERY good to meet you and certainly glad to see you here.
Throw your meat in the shark pond and see what's left of it, eh? lol

Really though, I can see you genuinely want to create a solid product. And if there's any flaws to be
found or things that could be improved, you recognize this place may be able to provide some insights.

I only wish more companies would take the same approach. Similar to Patrick from Commando Lock!
I felt privileged to be here when he came around with the same goals in mind. It was a real treat to
watch the good that came from it all!

Bowley lock company wrote:.....I just didn't like the fact that people on a budget have no security with the locks they have to buy and this lock is for those people.....

Really like your train of thought here. Feeling safe & secure is one of the basic human needs
and should not be contingent upon how much money you have. Of course, there's the other
problem - many people have more than enough money, yet spend only $20 on their locks.
As someone here mentioned once, "people tend to spend more time & money choosing
and buying a toilet seat than they do on their front door lock". lol. But that's an entirely
different problem and a whole different topic. lol

I wish you all the best. I look forward to closely following this and adding if/where I can.
Admittedly though, I'm not much of an innovator. I have a hard enough time learning
what's already known. Ha! But if I can help out, I'll throw in my two cents.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Bowley lock company

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Oldfast,
Thanks for your kind words. Peoples priorities are very strange indeed. Its very apparent on kick starter. I get that when you need a lock maybe you want it now and not in 6 months so maybe for me it is the wrong avenue. But there is a project that has raised $160,000 for a music project for their pet cat!!! Personally i'd rather have a new lock or a new toilet seat but maybe i'm the crazy one.
Cheers,
Ryan
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Wait. What? I'll tell you what... I'm not gonna go look. I don't even wanna know. lol Ha!
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Oldfast wrote:Wait. What? I'll tell you what... I'm not gonna go look. I don't even wanna know. lol Ha!

that must be Xeo's project! LOL "Mr. Meowmers"
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Ha!!!!
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:17 pm

I really admire your motivation in designing a high security lock at a reasonable price.

I’m sure that we here, at some time, have all thought of ways make a more secure lock. You have not only done this but have actually started building them.

As you stated, most people buy a lock based mainly on price. To the majority of people, a lock is just a lock. Put the right key in and it turns, wrong key, does not turn. Most people do not know about security pins, spools, serrated, pin in pin etc. If the packaging says “anti pick pins” then, they are “impossible to pick”.

At times we here can be like a group of mechanics sitting around shaking their head at why people buy car brand A, model B that are really crappy when, for a few dollars more they can buy a brand C model D that is, mechanically, much better.

Most people just don’t think about locks.

I was inspired to write about this by an incident that happened to me last week. My Doctor, who knows of my hobby often gives me old locks that he finds. Last week he gave me a stainless steel (steal more like it) Zenith pad lock without a key. He thought that it was a good lock as it was stainless steel (must be strong) and he had never seen one before. It was on a chain that he wanted and he cut the chain off and gave me the lock for my collection.

I popped a half diamond into it to feel it out and it opened ( an insult to the name lock!!!). Felt like that it was bitted all 8s or 9s and SO sloppy. He gets a buzz out of the fact that I can open it and even explaining that it was a really crappy lock didn’t impress him. He sees picking as some king of magic art form.

So here’s the problem that you will have to overcome to sell your locks. Your locks will have to be reasonably inexpensive and the buyers will have to be educated. Advertising will probably be your biggest expense.

People that have valuable (and stealable) objects will think nothing of spending a few more dollars buying a Hi Sec lock and this will be only a part of their security system. Alarm systems are getting cheaper all the time.

People who don’t have that much will economize on their locks, as the lock is probably the weakest link in their security system anyway. Windows, wooden door frames etc. offer quicker and easier means of entry. Burglars don’t usually learn to pick locks. Preferring less subtle means of entry.

So I wish you every success in your endeavor and once again kudos for making it happen. :hbg: :hbg:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Bowley lock company

Post Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Neilau,
Thanks for your support and you are totally right. Advertising and education our the biggest barriers and ones i am not sure we will be able to overcome on our own. The information is already out there and yet 90% of people prefer to live in ignorance is bliss state of mind.
We are currently looking for routes to bring this to market and believe that the independent locksmith route is our best bet.( I'd love some feedback here guys) It may take time but the locksmiths we have brought the lock and showed to them are all interested in carrying the product as they may be able to sell it to those people who walk in looking for a lock but are then unable to buy a high security lock because of the price. This may be that mid priced option and may make the sale for them. We will probably directly distribute to these establishments at first and attend the trade shows in order to build a base of locksmiths retailers. At some point where hoping larger distribution comes our way.

Regards,
Ryan
<<

Bowley lock company

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to let everyone here know that we have relaunched on kickstarter and this time we have already met our goal so we will be producing the locks this time around.
Here is the link if your interested in getting one for yourself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... k-relaunch

Cheers
Ryan Bowley
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks