FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LSDA Discus Padlock

<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm

LSDA Discus Padlock

Does anyone know anything about LSDA padlocks? Are they any good at pick resistance? I got this one today and wanna know if it's worth cleaning up & keeping for practice... :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Re: LSDA Discus Padlock

taurus420 wrote:Does anyone know anything about LSDA padlocks? Are they any good at pick resistance? I got this one today and wanna know if it's worth cleaning up & keeping for practice... :?:

How tight is that keyway? If it's restrictive - then you've struck gold. Think of the hours of fun you'll have trying to get a pick in there!

If it's like a Brinks it's easy as pie - but if it's like a Chateau disc- then you'll be playing around with it for a while.

Either way, I'd clean it up. But that's just me. I pick up stray locks like kids pick up stray puppies.
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 pm

I haven't gotten it open yet. The keyway is a bit tight & has a very stiff spring to the plug... Almost seems like thier is a spring that push's the plug back when you put tension on it. I don't have but one of my picks here with me so when I get home I'm going to try and rake it see what that does.

Thier web page says it's bump resistant but says nothing on pick resistance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:56 pm

taurus420 wrote:I haven't gotten it open yet. The keyway is a bit tight & has a very stiff spring to the plug... Almost seems like thier is a spring that push's the plug back when you put tension on it. I don't have but one of my picks here with me so when I get home I'm going to try and rake it see what that does.

Thier web page says it's bump resistant but says nothing on pick resistance.

I've run into that same springy feeling on the plug w/ Brinks and Chateaus. Makes it harder to pick I guess - and probably hinders the bumping aspect somewhat.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:40 pm

It's got deep spools, or mushroom pins. Never cut one apart to see for sure. It's better than the master, on par with a brinks, but it's no ABUS discus.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:23 am

I can pick'em when I'm playing. But I tend to get a little bit of performance anxiety when it's for real, sometimes. I was moving out of my own storage unit (something I shoulda done three years ago!). Last trip--felt for keys--you guessed it: Left them at home (a mere 7 miles). My son said, "Why don't you just pick it, dad?" After explaining to him that if the management (U-Haul) saw me picking a lock on a storage unit on camera, it may be hard to explain the circumstance, I talked myself into picking instead of going back for the key. Abus Discus saw me coming and lay down in honorable defeat!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 pm

This padlock is evil! I've been trying hard for a couple days now. I can get the false set but because the spring in the plug is so hard it makes pushing the pins up even harder. I just finally got my Brinks 625 series picked for the first time & it has serrated & hybrid serrated spools in it & it's kinda easy to me compared to this dam lsda discus. Well worth the find I can't wait to get it open :mrgreen:
<<

Genolution

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Lock Smith Dealers of America. Just picked one local up from my local locksmith. I asked that he .pin it to give me a challenge. By the way it feels i think I'll be working on this one for a while

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks