FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pins

<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:42 am

Pins

Hello E1,

I was just wondering if someone could give me some info on security pins. I am not a locksmith so please excuse me if my questions are basic or "dumb".

I would like to make a challenge lock. I saw a lock the other day that had an interesting keyway. I believe it is called paracentric? I think. Anyway, the padlock interested me and I'd like to go back and buy it. I asked the locksmith at the counter if the lock had any security pins in it because I'm looking for locks that have higher security pins in them. He stated "No" to the security pins. Anyway, it is a schlage padlock. I saw on CLK web site and found that they sell security pins. I'm wondering if the pins are all interchangeable or how do you know which pins to buy?

Would any schlage driver pins fit? Or would I have to buy a micrometer and measure length and diameter of the driver pins to match them up? Does changing the driver pins also change the biting on the key? So, if I swap out reg driver pins for security pins will I have to have another key made for the lock???

Any advice or info is appreciated.
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:54 am

Re: Pins

Changing the driver pins won't change the key bitting. I'm curious on the lock your speaking of, any pics?
<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:54 am

faygo6 wrote:Changing the driver pins won't change the key bitting. I'm curious on the lock your speaking of, any pics?

All true. Driver pins are the top pins and key pins are your bottom pins so changing the top pins will not affect the bitting.

There are different diameters and lengths of pins so you will need to make sure you have the right ones. When a longer key pin is substituted for a shorter key pin, the locksmith can put a shorter driver pin in to compensate for the spring tension but this doesn't normally happen.

Also check that the padlock is changeable. Some are not unless you drill or pry out the side plate which may make the lock unusable except as a practice lock. Where some locks have a center that can be removed once the lock is unlocked and the shackle moved out of the way.

If you want to make a real challenge lock, drop in a 3mm threaded bar for the top pin cut to the right length. That will teach you ( or your victim ) a lot.

Pics or model number will help a lot.
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 am

Have not seen a Schlage keyway padlock that did not take the normal Schlage (or most any brand deadbolt or euro profile) driver pins. Pictures help, though.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 am

If you want something reliable with a lot of options get MrWizard's lock he sells: http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972
It has a Schlage keyway with a good amount of pins, including security pins. It should hold you over until your ready for higher security locks like assa and medeco. PM him if you want to buy. I had mine 3 days after I ordered it.
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the great comments and ideas. Especially the one for the threaded bar...I saw a guy on YT make a challenge lock that had 2 flathead screws in it!!! that was crazy!!! I'd never seen anyone do something like that to a lock. Very creative and "evil" LOL...I don't have a pic of the lock, but as soon as I buy it I will post some pics. As for the practice lock, I will definitely look into it. I do need lots of practice. That's for sure. I can't get past 3 pins on my medeco and I'm barely able to open my assa with all 6 pins in it. The challenge lock I want to make is just something for me to pass around to other lock pickers and promote friendly competition for lack of a better word.

Thanks
Rick
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:39 pm

<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor