FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

1 1/2 inch mortise cylinders

<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:56 am

1 1/2 inch mortise cylinders

I've got a few quick questions

Corbin master ring mortise cylinders are 1 1/2 inch in diameter, but are all Corbin 1 1/2 mortise cylinders the master ring type, or do they make standard cylinders in that size also? Does any other company make 1 1/2 mortise cylinders? What are the 1 1/2 cylinders used in? I've never seen any type of lock that uses anything but the standard size.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: 1 1/2 inch mortise cylinders

I have a mortise lock here that takes the master ring cylinder. Our masonic temple downtown is full of them also.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:I have a mortise lock here that takes the master ring cylinder. Our masonic temple downtown is full of them also.

Is the mortise lock also made by Corbin? I wasn't sure if those 1 1/2 cylinders were used for normal locking purposes or if they were only used in special high security locks. Are prison Mogul cylinders the same size as the master ring?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:22 pm

DIY Dave wrote:
jeffmoss26 wrote:I have a mortise lock here that takes the master ring cylinder. Our masonic temple downtown is full of them also.

Is the mortise lock also made by Corbin? I wasn't sure if those 1 1/2 cylinders were used for normal locking purposes or if they were only used in special high security locks. Are prison Mogul cylinders the same size as the master ring?

A number of makers made master ring size hardware. I have a master ring door hardware set made by Emhart and a MR sized mortise cylinder that takes a Best core. It was a way of master keying locks a long time ago. Prison mogul cylinders are a lot bigger than a master ring although they are basically the same kind of lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 am

DIY Dave wrote:

I believe my mortise lock is made by Corbin. I will take a picture tonight.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Master ring cylinders are not high security. They are designed for very large master key systems. The design allows for a lot more usuable combinations since the change key uses one shear line and the master keys use the other. Many of the combinations normally resulting in cross-keying become available as the master cuts are not on that shear line.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks