FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Art Steel Co. Steelmaster File Cabinet with Safe

<<

grlpwer79

Post Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Art Steel Co. Steelmaster File Cabinet with Safe

HI!
First Time Posting...very exited!

I have a file cabinets with a Art Steel Co. Steelmaster combination lock w/AG (or 6)-188 under the dial. I was given a combo for it but it does not want to open. Is there a default combo or a way to get the correct combination?

Any suggetions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Art Steel Co. Steelmaster File Cabinet with Safe

Welcome grip! With any 3 numbers there are only 6 possible combinations. Many times people remember the numbers but not the order, try all of those first. Known numbers = A,B,C - A,C,B - B,A,C- B,C,A - C,A,B - C,B,A
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am

Are you sure you are dialing the correct direction? And some of them have spring tension to overcome once the dial stops.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

grlpwer79

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am

3 x Right, 2 x left, 1 right?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am

With three numbers it is most often 4 x left, 3 x right, 2 x left and then turn right until it stops. But I don't know this lock and hence can't say how "normal" it is. And just to clarify this: e.g. 2 x left means that the dial is turned counter clockwise and it has to be stopped when the desired number appears the second time at the index mark.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

This one went 3R--2L--1R. Different maker.

http://imgur.com/a/m1uRz
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

grlpwer79

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I have the wrong combo, entirely. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from tying the individual to a chair, in a small room with a bright light overhead:)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:50 am

I would love to manipulate it open, but I have a little experience with this. Don't know if you want to spend the time or if you prefer to ask for the plastic explosives (or thumb screws).
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

grlpwer79 wrote:Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I have the wrong combo, entirely. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from tying the individual to a chair, in a small room with a bright light overhead:)

Besides learning manipulation (There's some tutorials on this site) you could try brute forcing. From what mastersmith says, it sounds like the last number should be a direct entry. So if you try every second number in exhaustive sequence for the first two wheels, and spin slowly through the last wheel, that's around 800 tries. Not the fastest route, but I know I've also spun more combinations than that on a single lock on a manipulation, so not terrible. I'm guessing 2-4 hours?

I would seriously consider learning manipulation from this site. It's extremely addictive though, you might find yourself giving all your money to ebay ;)

Return to Introduce Yourself