FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

new to locksmithing

<<

skylab9999

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:24 am

new to locksmithing

i have always been intrested in lockpicking,i recently bought two tools a,

kronos mulitpic and a tubular pick, i am intenting to start a small business specializing in lock outs of residential customers,and perhaps some commercial jobs like office entry and opening filing cabinets. i will keep my website simple and make it clear that i only do a few types of jobs. and give much lower rates than my competitors

as soon as i told my freinds i will start doing this the first question was can you open a car, so i started searching for car opening devices,it all looks very complicated ,but i saw a double sided pick and a tension tool to pick car locks, where do i get this and can it be mounted on my kronos multipick?

any recommendations of what tools i should have to do simple opennings would be appreciated, i will buy a plug spinner soon and a key extractor set, any other suggestions?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: new to locksmithing

Because of the questions you ask I strongly suggest you do some learning before you start your business and before you start to buy tools which you do not need. There are good locksmith books and I am sure there are also lots of classes. There is also a lot on the internet, but not all is relevant for your purpose.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

skylab9999

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:08 pm

:before you start to buy tools which you do not need",

yes exactly my request ,

if i am only doing deadbolts with either a lockpick gun or an electric pick or doing openings using a tubular circular pick tool then i think I dont need a lot of equipment

this kronos pick is fantastcaly easy to use

if it wont open with my tools then i would not have a service charge, but refer them to a more qualified pratictioner, i am 65 and doing this to supplement my pension

i been figuring a few things myself but it alawys helps to get some feed back, as i have a limited budget and cannot buy tools i dont need
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Are there really tubular locks which people need to be picked where you live? Here it would be one of the most useless tools.

So you have actual experience with the Kronos opening many different locks? Or is your opinion just based on what you have seen what others can do with it?

I think you are missing the big picture with this business. And without it is not possible for you to decide in which direction to go and how to invest 50 bucks in tools, so that you can service the most customers. Also only with a bigger picture you can ask the right specific questions.

A good book seems to me to be "The Complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing" by Bill Phillips
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

skylab9999

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 am

ok thanks your right i will get that book asap
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Good luck on your endeavors. I was always a shop locksmith but now I've been on the road for 4 months with this new company.

For just doing lockouts, a air wedge from Home Depot and a long reach tool will do for starters.

For most locks I've been using bump keys a lot.

A basic pickset and a plug-spinner come in handy.

Also an under the door tool.

I've used a small crowbar on a Salto mortise lock because it malfunctions.

Best of luck.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

skylab9999

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 am

i have a few requests to do car openings but i will try to make some money with the equipments i have then buy car lockout tools and then go to a junk car lot and practice
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:42 am

I wouldn’t charge much lower rates than my competitors.
For one thing, your competitors probably have shops and overhead like rent , payroll, fleet vehicles...
They have to charge whatever they do to keep afloat.
When a newcomer is charging much less, these guys will get angry and may try to sully your reputation.
They won’t take you seriously and prices that are too low may start driving the market down. Some may try to stop you by legal means.
From a customer’s point of view, they may not take you seriously either if they were to get a few quotes.
If X charges $150.00, Y charges $155.00, Z charges $145.00 and you $65.00...Something is fishy here?...
It may also make you look like a scammer, you know, with promises of low price only to be told otherwise once the job is done.
I would call you competitors and find out what they charge for such services and keep my prices slightly below theirs.
You’re all playing the same game, might as well play together in the same ballpark.
Is what I think.

M.
<<

skylab9999

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:10 pm

yeah good advise, i just reaised my prices a bit higher to a little below the standard rates in my area
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm

[quote="chieflittlehorse"]

...For just doing lockouts, a air wedge from Home Depot and a long reach tool will do for starters....
/quote]

I'd also add a spray bottle with a mixture of dish soap and water to spray on your air wedge before trying to insert it into the door. That lubricates it and greatly reduces the chances of tearing the weatherstrip around the door or frame of the car.

Another thing to add is a wide strip of plastic from a gallon milk jug, folded firmly in half with a small hole in the center of the crease. After using the air wedge to make a gap, insert the plastic into the opening to prevent your reach tool from marring the paint or the tape around the door.

(This info is more for the OP, CLH, as you no doubt already do that.)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Introduce Yourself