FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New member with a safe to open

<<

KevinFlon

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:51 am

New member with a safe to open

Cant see my first attempt at a post so this is a test
<<

KevinFlon

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:57 am

Re: New member with a safe to open

Im gonna try this again.
I have a Taylor Toronto 3 dial safe that I acquired a few years ago but haven't opened in over a year but know the combo I have works.

The top dial has 3 numbers and then turn until it stops

The 2 bottom dials I think are first number then turn till stops.

Right off the bat the top dial I go 4x Left first number
3x right second
2x left third number
but I dont feel it stop right turn

Am I doing this wrong
I have searched and found nothing on a 3 dial safe
<<

KevinFlon

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:02 pm

My safe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:08 pm

The 4-3-2 sequence is performed like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYjgOFKR1U

But your safe has a left handed door. It is quite likely, that the dialing direction is reverse direction, i.e. starting with 4 times right instead of 4 times left if it has 3 wheels.

It might be, that you have only 3 numbers for a 4-wheel lock. In this case try 5 times right, 4 times left, 3 times right, left to stop.

Do you have problems with the lower two too?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

KevinFlon

Post Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:09 am

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I believe I did start with a right turn and dial would stop at something like 22 on 4th turn

Should the bottom 2 dials need a full 3 numbers like the top.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:40 am

Lot of safes have been made and lot of safes have been modified, but the standard for America are three wheels. Three wheels is 4-3-2. Direction depends. For really high security esp. bank vault there can also bee 4 wheels. Sequence 5-4-3-2. This one could also have one, although probably not. For something like lockers there can be also only 2 wheels. (Sequence 3-2.) That is practically impossible for these locks. But it is possible to set all locks on reduced combinations. So it could be instead of 4R-3L-2R-L only 4R-L, because all three wheels have the same number.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

KevinFlon

Post Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:15 pm

Yes I believe the bottom 2 were only first number and then turn to stop but Im not getting a stop

So all 3 are not giving me a stop no matter how I do the combos

Do I have to get the top to stop on 4th before the bottom 2 dials work properly
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:43 pm

As you have not opened the safe in a long time maybe the lever is stuck. You can try your opening sequence and while you do the final left turn hit the area above the dial with a rubber mallet.
<<

KevinFlon

Post Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:20 pm

Tried the tapping while turning dial with no luck but notice the lever that retracts the rods in the door has some play now. Not much more to report.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:54 am

Here is probably what's going on.

Since there is no practical use for 3 dials in a home setting, the top dial is setup normal with 3 numbers and the other 2 locks are probably set to all wheels 50, which is what locksmiths do with safes that are for Sale. This way a home user doesn't have the hassle of dialing 3 combos to get into the safe.

The 2 or 3 dial setup is not for added security, it's setup so 2 or 3 people need to be present in order to open the safe. So that 1 person, like a disgruntled employee or a business partner couldn't open the safe without the other people present and make off with the goods.

So my guess would be everything is working properly, the OP just needs the right numbers and the proper dialong sequence. The dialing sequence could start right or left. Ive seen a modern 3 wheel s&g on a filing cabinet setup with counter clockwise turn to retract the bolt. I was very confused.
<<

KevinFlon

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 am

The bottom two are retracted. I knew it was one number and I shouldn't of left it to memory so thanks for that tip. The top dial 3 numbers where written on a card.

I have watched a vid on how the lock works so I left it on the last number for the day in hopes the hook that grabs is sluggish and will drop down. Will keep you updated as I go.
<<

KevinFlon

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:17 am

I should add that it is a ccw turn to retract.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 am

KevinFlon wrote:The bottom two are retracted. I knew it was one number and I shouldn't of left it to memory so thanks for that tip. The top dial 3 numbers where written on a card.

I have watched a vid on how the lock works so I left it on the last number for the day in hopes the hook that grabs is sluggish and will drop down. Will keep you updated as I go.

Out of curiosity are the numbers for the bottom 2 locks 50?? Also when you get it open sent pics of inside the door would be super cool.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:41 pm

This is a lock from a Taylor: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnYcwoZJBce/

Taylor used many different locks, but this one might in your safe too.

Return to Introduce Yourself