FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

noob alert

<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: noob alert

just bought a 334B45 on eb, $38 inc postage. piotr, you're in melbourne i see; where do you buy pins from mate? i've done some searching but it seems i need to have an account to buy from the sites i've found. also, the kits are rather large, i only really want a dozen or so spools and normals. i think : ]

by the way, i'm not really au fait with forums, should i be starting new threads or is this ok?

i have 4 non-repinnable lkwds now, they don't have model numbers but they measure approx. 40x42x17 mm. at the fattest point. [ on the tally-ho rule anyway] i think i will investigate how to make a cutaway. i don't have anything more than a vice and angle grinder, but i've found that flap disks are good for careful grinding. i keep all of them once they are worn, cos they effectively simulate finer and finer grit.

am i correct in understanding that the non-repinnable lkwds do contain some spool pins?
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:20 pm

psykro wrote:just bought a 334B45 on eb, $38 inc postage. piotr, you're in melbourne i see; where do you buy pins from mate? i've done some searching but it seems i need to have an account to buy from the sites i've found. also, the kits are rather large, i only really want a dozen or so spools and normals. i think : ]

Even if you had an account with the major locksmith supply house I'd advise against buying from them because of their ridiculously high mark-up. I buy pins from here: http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/lock-pins-c-22.html CLK have the best prices. But since you're just starting I'll happily send you an assortment of pins for free. Just PM me your postal address. I'll also send you a small length of dowel that you can use as a plug follower to re-pin the Lockwood rim cylinders.

by the way, i'm not really au fait with forums, should i be starting new threads or is this ok?

This is ok but when you dig deeper you will have more questions and for those put them in another thread under the appropriate sub-forum.

i have 4 non-repinnable lkwds now, they don't have model numbers but they measure approx. 40x42x17 mm. at the fattest point. [ on the tally-ho rule anyway] i think i will investigate how to make a cutaway. i don't have anything more than a vice and angle grinder, but i've found that flap disks are good for careful grinding. i keep all of them once they are worn, cos they effectively simulate finer and finer grit.

Ah, I think those are older models before Lockwood was bought up by Assa-Abloy and changed their naming convention. Maybe you could just drill out the pin chambers and tap them and close them with grub/set screws?

am i correct in understanding that the non-repinnable lkwds do contain some spool pins?

Yes, quite certain. If they go into a false set then that would confirm it.
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 pm

i admit it, i'm a forum ignoramus. i'm not sure the best place to post so i thought i'd put my progression posts here...
i opened my first lockwood with security pins the other day : ] it's a 120/40, non repinnable. it's the first time i've felt like i knew what i was doing in there, where i get a couple of false sets and then revisit them, backing off tension with the counter-rotation as i press up, then CLICK. so stoked! i filmed it with my little cam, but i can't upload til i go visit my sister again. i don't really know how to do that yet, but i will.
to all the other noobs- keep at it, no matter how clueless you feel, practice will produce results.
to the seasoned pickers offering their time and patience and knowledge on here- thanks all of you, it is much appreciated : ]
i'm STILL having trouble popping the 5-pin pre-assa lockwoods, but i try at them every day lolz. its tricky even ascertaining binding order on these things. dunno why, apart from just that im a noob : ]
have fun, good luck
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself