FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Introductions

<<

Josephus

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Introductions

It just occurred to me last summer that I have been picking for 15 years. Over half my life, and I still suck. I never took it seriously, just something to pick up every year or so - pop some locks and put it away again. It was a combination of nasty callouses from working at physical jobs and the negative assumptions that people make about the ethics of my slightly younger self that pushed me away from it. About this time last year I learned a couple of my friends were interested in it. I have known them for four years and they didn't even know I have been picking since I was 13. So now I have taken it up with some seriousness. I just ordered several Americans to tackle the dreaded serrated pins.

Currently I am unemployed, being usury adverse I saved enough for a two year degree and a few more certifications. With luck I will get an IT job that will help with the other two years. For some years after the tech sector in my area seemed to crash I have been doing a wide variety of mostly logistics oriented work. It is funny how nerds, truckers, machinists, and heavy equipment operators have an interest overlap when it comes to locks.

Oh I also make some picks on occasion, just got in some Petersons that I may modify. I finish my picks with the same method that most people are aware of nowadays. It is really similar to putting a mirror edge on a plane using the scary sharp method but instead of a glass substrate I use something soft to get the edges nice and rounded. 400 grit to 2000 Is what I chose to do with blades but for picks I only go up to 800 grit then a couple minutes with a dremel wheel loaded with abrasive polishing compound yields identical results faster.

Most of the time I use just one or two Majestics, lovingly worn through use. I have never broken a pick (now it'll happen within the hour) and have used those to pop locks hundreds of times over a decade and a half. I just feel dirty when I use anything else, even though I have many that are better.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Re: Introductions

Welcome.

Americans will surely teach you serrated pins!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Welcome!

Up until about 3 yrs ago.... I was a kind of 'on-off' picker like you've described.
Americans are one of my favorites. Although they're quickly changing for the worse :(
PLENTY of the oldies but goodies out there to be had though. Probably for yrs to come.

Glad you're here... look forward to seein' ya on the board.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi from eastern Canada welcome to KP
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Cheers from South Canada. Good to have you.
I have several friends who lately expressed interest in picking so I am doing some teaching of my own. I bet you have some funny stories as I do.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 am

Welcome. I am one of those IT guys/lock enthusiasts you speak of. While I am not very good at picking, I do enjoy it, and the feeling when the lock finally snaps open is awesome.
I mostly just collect locks though :)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

Glad to have you here, Josephus.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am

Welcom Josufuss

"I have never broken a pick, now it will happen in the next hour"
Ah the jinx,
never speak of the devil he might pop up
many pickers do have some level of belief in that jinx. I know I am familiar with it.

@ oldfast
"americans are quickly changing for the worse,"
Do you mean that they are becoming harder to pick (three serrated spools two serrated drivers and serrated bottom pins, or do you mean that the company is cheapening the product making it crap like master?
Has anyone torn apart those masters with the hex crosssection shackle to see how a four pin lock has become so resistant?
and have you tried the chrome plated brinks that sells at some walmart or target stores for only 8 bucks, the one that say's its for marine application, has a yale type keyway but very thin, not a large shackle but the card in the blister pack shows a security rating of max.
I recently got interested in these and may now have to make thinner small keyway picks.
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 pm

rai wrote:@ oldfast
Do you mean that they are becoming harder to pick (three serrated spools two serrated drivers and serrated bottom pins,
or do you mean that the company is cheapening the product making it crap like master?

The latter. Since Master Lock took ownership of American... yeah.
Some of the locks are now filled with all standard drivers & keypins.

The locks you made mention of: "masters with the hex crosssection shackle" and "chrome plated brinks"....
I'm not sure if I've seen those yet. But then again, I haven't glansed at the locks in Walmart latley.
Sounds interesting tho. I might have to look around next time I'm there. See if they have em'.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Oldfast wrote:
rai wrote:@ oldfast
Do you mean that they are becoming harder to pick (three serrated spools two serrated drivers and serrated bottom pins,
or do you mean that the company is cheapening the product making it crap like master?

The latter. Since Master Lock took ownership of American... yeah.
Some of the locks are now filled with all standard drivers & keypins.

The locks you made mention of: "masters with the hex crosssection shackle" and "chrome plated brinks"....
I'm not sure if I've seen those yet. But then again, I haven't glansed at the locks in Walmart latley.
Sounds interesting tho. I might have to look around next time I'm there. See if they have em'.

I don't know if this is the place or if I should have started a new thread. I get to work early in the mornings and so quite often I get bored waiting for work to start. I recently pulled one of the 5200's off the shelf to pick it. So to my surprise it was actually a decent pick. It took some time to get it open. I looked at the bitting of the key and to my surprise it is a 6 pin lock. It contained all of what made the old Americans great :spoorated: :spool: :serkeypin: :serrated: and it also had the Anniversary logo so Ibought it. I loaned it out to my best friend but as soon as I get it back Iwill pick and gut on camera.
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm

That's great news Matt. Maybe there's still hope. lol

I look forward to a vid.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 pm

As for those hex-shackled boron Master padlocks, I have taken them apart, and for the very reason you stated. Guess what... same lock cylinder, pins, and springs. The lock body that the cylinder fits into seems to be larger, allowing the lock cylinder to move more freely. That extra slop, coupled with the return spring, seems to be what is making them harder to pick. By making them more sloppy, they made them harder to pick. I even cut apart an old lock and swapped cylinders. The new lock cylinder, placed into the old body, picked like the old locks. The old lock cylinder, placed into the new lock body, picked like the new ones.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks GW and Oldfast :agree:
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 am

My Master Magnum Series picked like any other #3 or similar lock...too easy.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 pm

The new masters practically fall right open. Such a shame. If I bring my jruther pick near one it unlocks itself and guts itself neatly onto a pinning mat.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself