FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

5 easy steps to picking an Assa Twin

<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 pm

5 easy steps to picking an Assa Twin

Step 1. Run away. Seriously, do you really think this is actually going to be easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Step 1.5. Put a good tension wrench into the lock. Top tension is they way to go or you won't be able to manipulate the sidebar pins.

Step 2. Set as many of the regular pin stacks as possible.

Step 3. Set as many of the Sidebar pins as possible.

Step 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the cylinder turns.

How will you know if you have the regular pin stacks set correctly or if they are at a false setting?

If you are working on the older style Twin 6000 and it has the one large false gate. My best advice is to pay close attention to how high the pin has been lifted, it will likely need to be set at a shallower depth than the depth that it sets at first. Getting out of that false set just to be able to set it at a shallower depth is tricky. If the lock has a fair amount of wear and tear, it will probably give you some counter-rotation. If the lock is new and/or isn't worn, the false sets won't give you any counter-rotation and you will have to manually turn the cylinder back yourself. Having to do that significantly raises the difficulty. Also note that on the older Twin 6000 design, one of the chambers won't have any counter-milling in it.

If you are working on the newer (not as old of a style) Twin 6000/V-10 cylinders. The false gates for the regular chambers are a lot smaller, but there are several small counter-millings to grab a hold of the driver pins. To tell the difference on if a pin is locked into a false set I recommend heavy tension and lightly try to lift up on each pin (not to move them, just to feel them). If when the key pin makes contact with the driver, it feels springy at all. You should probably leave it alone and move on to the next pin (unless you know that it isn't set yet because it is a shallower depth. You may find, after a while of picking, that a pin needs to be set higher, but in order to do that all the other pins must drop. With that in mind, in the next attempt you should try and set particular pin at the shallower depth earlier in the picking process). Now then, if when the key pin contacts the driver pin it feels completely rigid. Lighten up you tension and click that pin past the false gate, hopefully none/some/not too many of the other pins drop back down on you.

Twin 6000 sidebar. I pick these with a hook pick turned on it's side and I twist it to lift the pins. If a pin is binding, obviously it needs to move up. Once you get them all set, to the real gate or a false gate. Again, at this point use heavy tension and carefully feel each sidebar pin. If they are springy at all, leave them alone. If you find one that is locked up and completely rigid. Continually lighten up the tension while repeatedly bouncing the pin with your pick. Basically you need to move the pin up and down inside of the false gate that it's in. Doing this while continually lightening up the tension should allow the cylinder to slowly turn back far enough to allow that pin to move up the the next gate, hopefully not to many other pins drop back down in the process.

Twin V-10 sidebar. These pins rest lower in the keyway and are harder to get underneath to lift them up. But they are easier to pick because the notches between the false/real gates are beveled in such a way that allows them to be lifted up. To check if they are set correctly it's the same technique as the Twin 6000 sidebar. You just need to be extra careful about over-setting them as it's easier to do in the V-10. But since you won't need to continually lighten up the tension (as much) just to get them past the false gate like the 6000, I think they are easier.

Step 5. If you are reading step 5, it's probably because you didn't manage to get the lock to turn by using step 4. If this is the case, take a break and/or work on an easier lock. If that's not the case and you didn't need a 5th step to pick the lock. Good work, you are a fantastic lock picker!!!!

...Um ...Good luck!!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: 5 easy steps to picking an Assa Twin

I would say that the priority is to set the sidebar pins? It seems like it would be harder for them to fall back down than top pins when releasing tension. Can you confirm that? How do sidebar pins react to setting the top pins? Do the sidebar pins fall down or lose their set when dealing with false sets and counter-milling on the top pins?

Is there an advantage to picking CW or CCW? What binds first in both cases? Or are the tolerances so fawken tweaked that either a top or side pin can bind in an alternating fashion?

Thanks
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Step 6. Once you have made the lock turn, now you must pick it on a rollercoaster before the ride ends while wearing thick winter gloves. Good luck.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:03 pm

xe0 wrote:I would say that the priority is to set the sidebar pins? It seems like it would be harder for them to fall back down than top pins when releasing tension. Can you confirm that? How do sidebar pins react to setting the top pins? Do the sidebar pins fall down or lose their set when dealing with false sets and counter-milling on the top pins?
It all depends on the specific cylinder. I have first hand experience of the sidebar pins falling back down while setting the regular pins, and I've had the regular pins drop while setting the sidebar pins. Assa is known for their tight tolerances, I don't think they would want it any other way.

xe0 wrote:Is there an advantage to picking CW or CCW? What binds first in both cases? Or are the tolerances so fawken tweaked that either a top or side pin can bind in an alternating fashion?
I find it easier to pick them clockwise, but I have no reason to believe it is anything other than psychological. Usually the binding order is at least a few of the regular pins before the sidebar pins. Then they tend to go back and forth between the sidebar/regular pins. This happens in both directions. So don't plan on it actually being easier one way or the other.

xe0 wrote:Step 6. Once you have made the lock turn, now you must pick it on a rollercoaster before the ride ends while wearing thick winter gloves. Good luck.
You're sick man. I may never do the rollercoaster thing, but if I ever pick a lock on camera while wearing winter gloves. It'll be your fault!! :fu:
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Hahahaha... thanks for the info man

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 pm

He's gonna do it ya know
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks FarmerFreak. I just found this old thread im my sleepless phase of day i call night. i will surely not abide to step 1 :akimbo:

Return to ASSA/Abloy