FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high security?

<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 am

Re: Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high security?

Josh66 wrote:
Riyame wrote:Very cool. Notice the sparks when he cut the boron shackle? A wild semi educated guess would be that once it got so far cut through that the shackle "fractured/shattered" and basically cut itself the rest of the way through causing the sparks.

Could have also been a chunk of the bolt cutter coming off. How does the edge look, Bezza?

perfect never chipped my bolt cutters thats why they cost me $600
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

HirosStorageUnit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 am

even the cheap chinese bolt cutters will cut boron, it just takes a bit more technique.
<<

HirosStorageUnit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:36 am

boron shackle aside any more input on my question? :0
<<

mech

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 am

nice video bezza, love vids like that
http://www.youtube.com/duction
www.Lockpick.co
<<

Josh66

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:26 pm

bezza1 wrote:
Josh66 wrote:
Riyame wrote:Very cool. Notice the sparks when he cut the boron shackle? A wild semi educated guess would be that once it got so far cut through that the shackle "fractured/shattered" and basically cut itself the rest of the way through causing the sparks.

Could have also been a chunk of the bolt cutter coming off. How does the edge look, Bezza?

perfect never chipped my bolt cutters thats why they cost me $600

hehe - I wasn't saying that's what it WAS, just that it was a possibility. $600 bolt cutters? Really? Damn.

For that kind of cash, I'd be pretty pissed if they got chipped by a lock.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Well HirosStorageUnit,
If you are after a lock that most people can't get past in any way, i don't think that the abloy classic is the way to go, but, if you are after one that has very high difficulty to pick, but can still be cut off, then they are pretty good. That's my two cents on the matter. If you want true security, go with a S&G 833 with an abloy protec core.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm

clearmoon247 wrote:Well HirosStorageUnit,
If you are after a lock that most people can't get past in any way, i don't think that the abloy classic is the way to go, but, if you are after one that has very high difficulty to pick, but can still be cut off, then they are pretty good. That's my two cents on the matter. If you want true security, go with a S&G 833 with an abloy protec core.

Then you would have to get a Protec KIK, and custom make tailpieces to fit the 833. Its not fun and has to be very precise. Its not a whole lot of fun, trust me on this :P
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:51 pm

S&G 951.jpg
833.jpg
833 and replacment 951
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escher7

Post Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 am

My friendly locksmith showed me one of the very large padlocks by Abloy that had been cut with an angle grinder. The boron shackle made no difference at all, even though its diameter was probably 3/8". As always, destructive entry ignores the cylinder's pick-resistance.
Where pick resistance is important is when the entry must remain covert. If someone (a professional) has the Abloy pick that is out there, is highly practised, and has time he will get through the Classic and no one will be the wiser. Impressioning an Abloy is also possible and covert.
What does this mean for the average person? Unless you have a basement full of gold or a Rembrandt, the Classic will serve you well. The neighbourhood kids may know how to bump a pin tumbler but I doubt if they spent $150 to buy a dedicated Abloy pick. On the other hand, unless you can get a Classic very cheap, buy the Protec 2 because it really is pick proof at this point and you might as well get the best.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 am

I've been looking at the classic profile recently. The pick I have for it does not work unless the lock binds up from back to front. If you have to manipulate a disc and any disc behind it needs setting at a greater angle it is not possible without disturbing the disc in front. Or maybe I'm using the tool wrong, if that is the case then I'd love to receive some instruction as to how I am supposed to use it. I believe a pin and cam system would work and I also believe that the lock can be decoded relatively easily. Then the pick would be of use for setting the discs. But only once you have decoded it.

I believe that the exec profile has the same flaws. The protec (allegedly) has a pick which impressions the lock and there is also a decoder for the protec. I do not know about the protec 2.

But to sum up, I would say yes - the classic is high security. Whilst other disc detainers can be picked with cheap chinese tools, this one can't. As far as I'm aware.
<<

kilby

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 am

Well the original question was the Abloy Classic keyway rather than the actual padlock ;) so I suppose I suppose the answer is quite secure' but use one of the later systems to enhance it.

To be honest rather than taking an angle grinder to an Abloy lock I would take an angle grinder to the hasp that the lock passes through as it would probably be quicker.
Previous

Return to ASSA/Abloy