FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Union ASSA Abloy 3102

<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Union ASSA Abloy 3102

Got an interesting lock in the mail today, all the way from the UK. It is a Union 3102 padlock. Union is part of the ASSA Abloy Group Company and their locks are designed and made in the UK. It took awhile to find a good way to tension this thing. I think a prybar would be ideal, especially since pin 1 in set further back than most locks I've seen, but I'm not very good with TOK tension yet =/. After trying a few different tension tools I finally found one that will stay put. I haven't gotten it picked yet, this lock definitely has security pins...but they don't behave like the average spools, not sure what to think of them. The lock seems to be made to strict tolerances, hardly any movement of the core in either direction when applying tension or picking.

Check it out:

IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG

Anyone have some tips or suggestions for tackling one of these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Union ASSA Abloy 3102

jupiter11d7 wrote:Anyone have some tips or suggestions for tackling one of these?

Get on your rugby gear, get a good running start and...

Oh, you mean figuratively speaking. In that case, go light on the tension until you can feel what is going on.

Looks like that top of the keyway may be shaped to make it harder to get a tension wrench to hold.?.?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Looks like that top of the keyway may be shaped to make it harder to get a tension wrench to hold.?.?

Yep, that was the initial problem. Wider tension tools end up slipping down to the pins. I tried very thin ones placed in the top notch of the keyway and they just made the cylinder bind. The best option so far was a medium sized one that doesn't extend very far into the keyway. The lock can be opened either direction, so it might be easier to tension from the other side. Just an awkward angle to work with when turning it counterclockwise.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what function the circular thing (I'm sorry, I dont know what to call it) above the keyway provides? I assume it is a variation of the hole at that position on most padlocks? I looked up the purpose of the hole in general and found it to be a "drain hole" I read that it could be used for lubrication or to drain water away from the locking mechanism. I am leaning toward water drainage, is that correct?

Just curious about this particular design, the reason for the engraved c-clip shape around it, and if it serves the same purpose as a drain hole what advantage this design has.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes, water drainage. That way when it rains, or condensation forms, it can drain out away from where it may damage the lock.

Also, there are probably models of the same lock that are available with a chain riveted to that location.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info! I feel like I learn at least one new thing from you every day, usually more :D
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:18 pm

jupiter11d7 wrote:Thanks for the info! I feel like I learn at least one new thing from you every day, usually more :D

If you don't, you are doing something wrong! Still learn new stuff everyday.

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 am

The hole is like those on your bathroom door. Just push a stiff piece of wire in and it will open! Honest!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Deviant Ollam covers that method in a chapter in his book Practical Lock Picking, escher7. :D

Gordon

Return to ASSA/Abloy