FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picked my first Abus lock

<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Picked my first Abus lock

Picked my first Abus lock today, it was an Abus 71/40 "Brady" lock out tag out lock, for those not failure it it has a 6-pin core with 1 standard driver and 5 spool drivers, definitely a fun pick! Attached: Picture of the lock picked and the bitting of the key
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: Picked my first Abus lock

Sweet! LOTOs are fun.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Yes they are, i dont get why they seem to use higher security lock cores and ball bearings , with a plastic body and an unhardened shackle, with this lock even the piece that pushes the bearings into the shackle to lock it is plastic (cant think of what they call that piece)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:Yes they are, i dont get why they seem to use higher security lock cores and ball bearings , with a plastic body and an unhardened shackle, with this lock even the piece that pushes the bearings into the shackle to lock it is plastic (cant think of what they call that piece)

The cam is the part you are thinking of.

The reason for the high(er) security core and the cheap components is that not many will pick that lock, but anyone trying to force the lock will leave a damaged lock. They will know if someone is trying to use the equipment that has been locked out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed May 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Ah ok that makes sense, i work for an HVAC company and we do probably 80% commercial work, and there are certain places we service that have very strict lock out procedures, this one place some manager there has to lock out the breaker, then he puts his key in a metal box, we put a lock on it, and another higher up guy at the company puts another lock on it, a little over kill for just servicing their HVAC equipment but the company is a powerplant so they have to take lockouts very seriously
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 am

Great work mate. I always thought they had plastic bodies because its easier to remove should the key be lost. If someone lost their key, instead of wasting time having a locksmith come in, they can just bust the lock open and continue to work. Plastic body = less down time.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu May 21, 2015 10:55 am

those locks are for safety not security, like the S&G 8088.
with a LOTO lock the plastic body will show any signs of forced entry but if you used one to lock-up a motorcycle you deserve what happens.

BTW congrats on opening that lock, all the ABUS line of locks are a good pick :)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm

I had it open in a few mins, feedback is minimal barely even got a false seta, and with that strange keyway sometimes I wonder if I am lifting on a pin or if I'm hitting the warding on the sides

Return to Abus