FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Abus problems

<<

Scruffyhead

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:23 am

Abus problems

Hi guys and girls.
I am struggling with two Abus padlocks.

I can pick the 65/40 regularly, it talks and communicates nicely after getting a false set.
Can also pick a Trioving no idea about model. Found it in the basement. (great fun to pick) And some other cheap padlocks.

My big problem is an Abus 54Ti/50 i bought some weeks ago. I cant seem to get anything from it after a lot of hours trying. Feels like all standard pins. But i can't get anywhere with this lock.
The other one is an Abus 70IB/45. Same as above i get nothing from this lock, no feedback, some clicks and binding pins but not close to any open. Also feels like all standard pins.

Any tips on these problem locks? Have seen some videos on the 54Ti/40 on youtube but what they talk about there i am not feeling from my lock.

<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: Abus problems

I've noticed that the higher quality Abus locks have slightly tapered key pins. Be very mindful of not oversetting anything. If you have a lock with spools, and you slightly overset a tapered key pin, it will drop on its own accord when you force a spool through. Not so with all standards. And detecting an overset on a very low cut pin can be hard.

Also, have you tried mucking about with your tension? Try hard tension on the first binder, then medium, then light (with resets for each).. does it set the same?

I think know LockPickingLawyer has featured a few of the Titallium locks, but not sure about your particular model.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Scruffyhead wrote:Hi guys and girls.
I am struggling with two Abus padlocks.

I can pick the 65/40 regularly, it talks and communicates nicely after getting a false set.
Can also pick a Trioving no idea about model. Found it in the basement. (great fun to pick) And some other cheap padlocks.

My big problem is an Abus 54Ti/50 i bought some weeks ago. I cant seem to get anything from it after a lot of hours trying. Feels like all standard pins. But i can't get anywhere with this lock.
The other one is an Abus 70IB/45. Same as above i get nothing from this lock, no feedback, some clicks and binding pins but not close to any open. Also feels like all standard pins.

Any tips on these problem locks? Have seen some videos on the 54Ti/40 on youtube but what they talk about there i am not feeling from my lock.

Don't feel bad about having trouble with these locks Scruffyhead, the small keyway Abus padlocks are notorious for this and you're not the first guy to bang his head against one. I personally hate the things. Choice of pick is everything and narrow picks in 018 or 015, with small shallow hooks, seem to be the way to go.

By far the best Abus picker I know is Foxxy, his picking channel is...

https://www.youtube.com/user/redcatimaging

...and there are a million Abus videos there. Best of luck and let us know when you pop it,

Michael.
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:24 pm

The 54TI/50 I have does have serrated pins and at least one spool. It might be a serrated that's throwing you... sometimes a pin will feel set when it's not quite there. Keep your tension lightish and experiment with purposefully oversetting each pin you think you've got a click from, the actual set will make a more pronounced click than the serration clicks, and you'll know you've got it when other pins bind that weren't binding before. Abus are some of my favorite locks to pick... I don't have a 70IB tho so can't tell you much about that one, except that it probably has the same serrated pins. The 72/40 does, along with spools (and is 6 pins), and I their spools have serrations as well which may be common on all of their sub-$20 locks (most of them can't be taken apart, so I can't really say for sure, but they feel the same to me).
I also always use top-of-keyway tension with these. If you have the Peterson Flat Five tension wrenches, the thick version of the smaller size fits perfectly in the little angled bit at the top of the Abus keyways and are pretty fantastic for these locks. The 54 is a straight keyway, so any TOK wrench should do... I use one I ground from music wire, but the pry-bars should do fine.
<<

Scruffyhead

Post Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 am

thanks guys. I GOT AN OPEN :) Actually two.
The first time was yesterday, and one more to day. Seems the trick is get the tension just right, only when you get it just right can you feel any feedback, and even then really faint.
I used 0.015 hook and top tension to get the thing open.

Will work on this lock some more and then trade it for something fun and not ANOYING :)

Thanks for all hints and advice :)
<<

Patrick Star

Post Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:49 am

Scruffyhead wrote:Will work on this lock some more and then trade it for something fun and not ANOYING :)

Not annoying... giving up on lockpicking already? :)
<<

Scruffyhead

Post Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Nooo not giving up. Its really fun :)

Return to Abus