FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pacific lock

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Pacific lock

So I was in another town the other day and spotted a lockshop and decieded to stop and get me another american lock to work on. All they had were pacific locks instead of american. I'm not sure if it's just an american knockoff or what. He was very busy and mentioned something about pacific locks buying out american or something like that. I dont know if he was bs'ing me or not. Anyway I bought one from him because I really wanted to get an american that I can pick. I got him to pin it with the bitting very easy so I could get a feel for how the american locks feel when picking them. It looks like an american in every way. I took it apart and the pins all looks the same and stuff. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that when I use TOK tension the plug doesnt want to turn much. I've read that when picking americans that you have to use very very light tension. But with this thing when I use light tension the plug does nothing. With just using a TW (no pick)I can turn the plug a bit, but it takes quite a bit of force. Not bending force, just more force than very light tension that I've read about. Can someone explain what this means when the plug turns like that? When picking this lock should I use enough tension to "just when the plug very slightly"???? Would that be considered "light tension"???? Or should I just use very light tension (the plug wont turn at all) and pick it that way. Someone please explain.
Also I'm thinking of taking out a couple pins to make it a little easier while I learn and then just put them back in later. Is that a good idea????
Here's the link to the pacific locks. http://www.paclock.com/Rekeyables.htm#Aluminum I have the 100A

Thanks!!!
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Pacific lock

Use as light a tension as you can. I use such light tension that many times I have a cylinder picked up to a minute before I realize it. There seems to be enough friction in the lock that it won't normally spring back, like so many other locks do.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:27 pm

magician59 wrote:Use as light a tension as you can. I use such light tension that many times I have a cylinder picked up to a minute before I realize it. There seems to be enough friction in the lock that it won't normally spring back, like so many other locks do.

So you are saying just ignore the plug being able to turn with just a TW? You are telling me dont put tension to the point that the plug turns slightly right? (that would be way to much tension correct?) Just ignore that completely and use very light tension correct? I just dont understand if I'm not putting enough tension on it to move the plug AT ALL how can anything bind in there?? thanks 8-)
<<

Foo

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Ha, I remember my first american. It took me three times to figure out how to get it out of that big false set they have at the very end.

Does the lock have any play in it? Sometimes you just need to take any wiggle out the lock with the tension wrench and not really turn it.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Foo wrote:Ha, I remember my first american. It took me three times to figure out how to get it out of that big false set they have at the very end.

Does the lock have any play in it? Sometimes you just need to take any wiggle out the lock with the tension wrench and not really turn it.

No it has no play in it. I'm assuming you are refering to like a master 3 or something where the plug moves all over the place. In that regard it's rock solid. No play. But it will turn a quite a bit when you put some pretty heavy-medium tension on it. So I'm not so sure what you are calling "play". Can you please clear that up for me?
<<

regis

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:06 pm

I'll try to explain the way I do it. Put the T.O.K. wrench in the plug as normal. Hold the lock upright. (key pins up). T.W. should be resting by itself in the lock. Put some pressure on it. (enough to move tail of T.W.). Hope that helps. :D
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:26 pm

regis wrote:I'll try to explain the way I do it. Put the T.O.K. wrench in the plug as normal. Hold the lock upright. (key pins up). T.W. should be resting by itself in the lock. Put some pressure on it. (enough to move tail of T.W.). Hope that helps. :D

I understand enought pressure to move the tail of the TW. (that sounds like alot of tension) What about the plug? Do you put enough pressue to move it at all? While trying to adjust and figure out my tension I'm more worried about what is going on with the plug. thanks :mrgreen:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Like the other poster said, just try to take some of the slack out of the plug, just take the little bit of play out of it. Imagine a small fishing weight on the end of the tension wrench that's about all you need, once you hit the main binding bin you should start getting some pins to set a little bit at a time I think, also as you start to get some to set, you will have to very tension amounts up and down somewhat to get some pins to set.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 pm

well everyone is deferent i like to use heavy tension and i can pick them easy.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:02 pm

aarpazthelockpicker wrote:well everyone is deferent i like to use heavy tension and i can pick them easy.

This is very true! We all have our own way, that's for sure!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 am

Riff wrote:
So you are saying just ignore the plug being able to turn with just a TW? You are telling me dont put tension to the point that the plug turns slightly right? (that would be way to much tension correct?) Just ignore that completely and use very light tension correct? I just dont understand if I'm not putting enough tension on it to move the plug AT ALL how can anything bind in there?? thanks 8-)

Just remove the cylinder from the lock and practice. Then, you'll know just how much tension to give it.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:56 am

magician59 wrote:
Riff wrote:

Just remove the cylinder from the lock and practice. Then, you'll know just how much tension to give it.

Unless I have something decent enough to hold the core, I find this way to be much more difficult, these plugs are hard for me to hold in my hand and pick, not a bad idea though!

Return to Lock Picking