FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First disk detainer lock picked!

<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 pm

First disk detainer lock picked!

After disassembling my cheap disk detainer pick and cleaning up the rough machine marks and reshaping the tip I was able to pick my first disk detainer, It was a cheap Chinese "high security" lock engraved "CQC" attached is a picture of the lock and the plastic locking mechanism... Did I mention it said high security? Haha pryed the bottom retaining plate off to disassemble, and I somehow managed to get the disks back in the correct order and reassemble the lock so it still works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escher7

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: First disk detainer lock picked!

Some of them don't pick quite as easily as the videos make out - usually because of the poor tolerances rather than the other way around. But since you can pry them open with a $1 screwdriver, why bother picking? If the manufacturers put as much effort into quality as they do faking the look, they might actually be good locks.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:27 am

'Grats! I have a cheapie disc detainer and an equally cheapie disc detainer pick that I need to put head to head soon :D

With regards pulling out the detainer, This and This video by BosnianBill points out the terrible destructive entry protection on these.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Funny thing too, I purchased another disk detainer this one is branded "Extra Betox top security" and the two keys are exactly the same! Both locks are opened by each others keys! Could they all be the same? Probably from the same factory, can't believe the cuts are identical though! However I can only pick one of them, probably those poor tolerances working against me!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:12 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:Funny thing too, I purchased another disk detainer this one is branded "Extra Betox top security" and the two keys are exactly the same! Both locks are opened by each others keys! Could they all be the same? Probably from the same factory, can't believe the cuts are identical though! However I can only pick one of them, probably those poor tolerances working against me!

You get the same thing with deadbolts at the big box hardware stores. Locks in factories are frequently keyed in batches. Make 1000 with this bitting, then 1000 with that bitting, etcetera.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

transposed

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:15 am

If the weak point, the gateway, is the disc retainer, why not weld the disc retainer to the padlock body?

Does it need to turn with the discs?
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:56 am

That would be a possibility, however the plastic locking piece that holds the disks would be melted in the process, also not sure if the quality of materials would make it worth machining the plastic piece out of brass, personally instead of welding I would drill and tap a set screw that gets blocked by the shackle when the lock is locked, similar to how abloy and some newer s&g environmentals arr

Return to Lock Picking