FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What did I do?

<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

What did I do?

IMG_20170224_220619.jpg
I have 3-4 American Locks, that are in my "Not There Yet" pile. Well tonight I decided to pull one out and give it a go. After getting it to a false set twice (I think), I wasn't sure which pin was causing the issue. I can barely reach the last pin, but it wasn't budging either. Well while holding tension I noticed the lock was sliding towards me a bit, so I pulled it and sure enough the whole core came out. The lock was still locked shut, but the core was now in my hand. Needless to say I am dumb founded on what I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: What did I do?

Small Format Interchangable Core. Congratulations, you got it to control. Now you can have keys made for it. http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/sfic/

Edit: Now that I looked at a bigger picture, that is a Keymark core. Blanks are really hard to get for those. But you can get a replacement core for them.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 pm

That is a" small format interchangeable core" (SFIC) cylinder. It can be removed with a Control key. The control key turns a lug that is part of the cylinder, essentially working from a second shear line. In the picture your thumb is over the control lug.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Congrats! when I pick SFIC's its Control that I try to pick.

If you want the lock open, stick a screw driver in the opening between the 2 "Pins" and twist, it will open.
<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:51 pm

That is crazy. I thought I broke the damn thing. I did put the butt of my pick or the opposite side in there and open the lock. I wonder why I was able to pick to control and not to unlock... Weird. I still have two more I think to try and pick. Thank you for the information!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Turtle0Monkey wrote:That is crazy. I thought I broke the damn thing. I did put the butt of my pick or the opposite side in there and open the lock. I wonder why I was able to pick to control and not to unlock... Weird. I still have two more I think to try and pick. Thank you for the information!

Some cores naturally tension to the control shear line, some to the operating shear line.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Great job!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:35 am

I have one BEST core that I can only pick to "open" and another that I can only pick to "control"

Return to Lock Picking