FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset ultramax - what's the big deal?

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Kwikset ultramax - what's the big deal?

I saw awol's vid earlier where he picked and gutted one of these. It's a 6 pinner with 3 spooled drivers... is this seriously the highest grade of home security in the US? What rating do they give the proper high sec locks? Just doesn't make sense to me... there's no way this thing comes under the same umbrella as those with sidebars and all those other suave little features. :|

Awol made it look easy to pick, then again it's awol, so I'm giving the ultramax the benefit of the doubt here. I don't know anything about Kwikset other than what I've read... but judging by that big open keyway, and what people say about the engineering that goes into them, if I'm not able to pick one I'll eat my hat.

And I really like that hat.

On a serious note, it'd be a nice addition to my collection. I hope to have a bunch of locks from countries all over the world at some point, high security or otherwise. And of course I'd like to see how they compare to the high-security-which-aren't-actually-that-high-security locks we see over here. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for some of these on ebay to see if I can snatch one up at a reasonable price, but if any of our UK members can get their hands on some (or have a spare they're willing to give away) then give me a shout!

Anyway, while we're waiting for me to get my hands on one, has anyone else got experience picking these? I'm hoping they put up some kind of a fight... tell us your tales. :mrgreen:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Kwikset ultramax - what's the big deal?

I have not picked one, I have looked at them inside and out, they are no big deal, that's my opinion. Until one has defeated me, once I get a chance to pick one, I will state otherwise! I don't see very many around here, there not popular it seems here, because they cost more than a regular kwikset and people don't value security out here in the country like the city folk do!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Heh, when you say they cost more... how much are we talking? From what I can tell, a regular kwikset can be picked with very little skill and pretty damn quickly at that. :shock:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Solomon wrote:Heh, when you say they cost more... how much are we talking? From what I can tell, a regular kwikset can be picked with very little skill and pretty damn quickly at that. :shock:

Well a Kwikset, the common ones, (Tylo) can be purchased for around $23.00

The Kwikset ultramax or (Titan) is around $35 to $40 dollars I believe. The only main difference between the two is the ultramax is a 6 pin lock and a regular Kwikset is only a 5 pin. Both should be easy to pick.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah, I've seen a few videos of regular kwiksets being opened and I couldn't believe my eyes. Even my cheap-o cylinders don't open as easily as that... I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those aswell, just for the hell of it.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Solomon wrote:Yeah, I've seen a few videos of regular kwiksets being opened and I couldn't believe my eyes. Even my cheap-o cylinders don't open as easily as that... I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those aswell, just for the hell of it.

Most Kwiksets pick easy enough, some have some high low bittings and they are not as easy at times, but still not hard in comparison to some other popular branded locks.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 am

I've never tried to pick the ultramax, but they're uber common here. I used to put up all the displays in the stores when I was a vendor..... :idea: gee, I shoulda taken those display mounts while I still had that job now that I think about it.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:45 am

yep, those display mounts sure would be great, a few of them anyways, they would be great for picking practice, every once in a while you see them on craigslist or ebay. Or you could always make your own.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah, I was just thinking that I was lazy and they would've been free ^_^. Maybe I'll ask a friend who still works there.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy

Return to Lock Picking