FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Brinks Brass Padlocks

<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Brinks Brass Padlocks

I've been practicing on this type of padlock for a couple of months now. I've pick it more frequently now but not consistantly. The one I have now is about 3 weeks old and has become more difficult to gain false set. When I open it, it's usually when pushing on a pin I already think I've set. Once in false set I can set spools, sometimes up to three before it goes back to 12 o'clock. Have I worn the lock or the no. 2 pin, the regular pin, or is it ruined? My other 2 of these locks I destroyed trying to cut open. Any tips on cutting padlocks open?
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Brinks Brass Padlocks

It sounds like you're just getting a less obvious false set or undersetting that pin, or possibly when setting a different pin the pin you'd set before dropped back down.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Uncle Gut

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 pm

yep.. sounds like you haven't found the binding order.
Pick the order in which the pins bind and you got it.

Or you could just make an electric pick out of Black And Decker
Scissors like i did and use that. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtvQv4s7Zk
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

lube......it.....=) silicone
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:51 am

Yes to all posts above. When in false set and you set a spool and go back to 12 o'clock won't you always have to reset pin 2 the only regular pin? I mean thats why it loses false set, right? Otherwise it would still be caught on a spool. I'm learning on this lock because everyone new to picking has troublle with this lock. Get some wrong concepts sometimes but I'll stay at till I get it.
<<

bouncer965

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:42 am

My teenpence worth ....im a newbie. I found on my master 2250d that i was going back and forth resetting pins when i was in a false set, then coming out of the false set and set pins dropping. I found that a lot of it was down to how much tension i was putting on the tension wrench. I dont know about the brinks as i havent had one to do yet, but the master needed only a real featherlight touch to it.

Just my thought. :)
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:16 am

Grandapa, If you are working on the lock that I think you are, It's a bitch to open. For sure if you are just getting started picking. Not impossible. Just a bitch. Check this link out. It's a very good video that jruther2 made for me about this lock. It explains a whole lot about what is going on. I think this video will give you a better understanding of what is going on inside the lock. I hope it's the same one. I have a feeling it is........Here ya go. Hope it helps. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPO1do9dgw
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Yes Riff, it is the same lock jruther2 made the video on your questions. Someone at LP101 shared the link. That's also how I found this forum. Talk about a good turn of events. Can I assume that once in false set and you set a spool and return to 12 o'clock that the standard pin that put you in false set will need to be reset and that since the rest of the pins are spools and if binding on one of those it would remain in false set? I know I haven't found the right binding order. Sometimes when I open this lock, it's by accident, it's when I am going back to reset pins. I also know that I sometimes have over set a pin. It is definitly a bitch for me.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Grandpa wrote:Yes Riff, it is the same lock jruther2 made the video on your questions. Someone at LP101 shared the link. That's also how I found this forum. Talk about a good turn of events. Can I assume that once in false set and you set a spool and return to 12 o'clock that the standard pin that put you in false set will need to be reset and that since the rest of the pins are spools and if binding on one of those it would remain in false set? I know I haven't found the right binding order. Sometimes when I open this lock, it's by accident, it's when I am going back to reset pins. I also know that I sometimes have over set a pin. It is definitly a bitch for me.

I still have trouble with them. I have 2. I think I understand your question. Once you are in false set and return back to 12 oclock you will have to reset pins again. Hopefully jruther2 will send reply to this thread. I just cant help you that much because I dont think I'm completely understanding your questions. As far as oversetting pins just relax and try to make your movements very very mininal. I just had major surgery so I havent been picking many locks. One day when I feel better I will break out these 2 locks back out and master them.
OH and by the way, if you want to get a feel for secrurity pins I suggest getting a brinks like this one pictured. I'm not sure how many security pins are in them. I think just one. You can litreally rake these things once and put them into false, then the security pin is the first pin......very easy to open lots of feedback. Rake to false set for a while for fun...Then SPP this sucker into false. Then get that first spool. These are the best locks that I have found to get a good feel of how security pins work. I recomend them to everyone. I dont remember exactly what they are called. Been a while since I've bought them. I think they might be high security (brinks of course) ....the maximums are the brass. Got all mine from walmart. Maybe you dont need this "feeling" but this post will probably help someone else. I don't know what your skill level is. :D
Lock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 pm

I think I have 1 of those. I picked it fairly quick. Model 152-50091. Mine is a 50mm. I saved the model no. on a ring with the keys. Locks picked are: Master #5, Master 140, Brinks brass (small one, about 1 1/4" wide), Brinks similar to your picture 40mm, Master #30, Kwikset key in knob and deadbolt. Tried setting this deadbolt up for picking practice but it's much to cheap. Get no feedback. Locks I bought but never picked yet: Ace lock 40mm, made in China but will be tough. Brinks 50mm disk. and a n American 1100 series I bought on ebay. Stopped in Ace Hardware today to look at Slage deadbolt but too expensive. All the padlocks I've picked were easy for me especially the Masters. Had just a little trouble with the brinks. But the one like in jruthers2's vid is really tough. I know I have learned a lot from thie lock. I have read just about every post and watched every vid an it. Thanks riff and everyone for your input.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48 pm

These Brinks locks are probably about the best lock you can get rather cheaply in my opinion. They put up more of a fight than any MasterLock that I have picked. It took me awhile to be able to master these, now they are just easy. I will have to say though that the brass ones, are harder for some reason. Use light tension on all of these. Lots of people pick locks by finding the binding order, I may be the only person here that doesn't pick this way, and this lock is no exception. I start with light tension and pick from front to back, back to front, then go in and feel your pins, set the ones that are not set and so fourth. These locks are very readable, you can feel the pins and know what to do with them with a little practice. If I was you, I would pick up a laminated one first, a 40MM to start, I believe you can learn alot from these and will help you get that brass one picked, the brass, it is harder I believe.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:These Brinks locks are probably about the best lock you can get rather cheaply in my opinion. They put up more of a fight than any MasterLock that I have picked. It took me awhile to be able to master these, now they are just easy. I will have to say though that the brass ones, are harder for some reason. Use light tension on all of these. Lots of people pick locks by finding the binding order, I may be the only person here that doesn't pick this way, and this lock is no exception. I start with light tension and pick from front to back, back to front, then go in and feel your pins, set the ones that are not set and so fourth. These locks are very readable, you can feel the pins and know what to do with them with a little practice. If I was you, I would pick up a laminated one first, a 40MM to start, I believe you can learn alot from these and will help you get that brass one picked, the brass, it is harder I believe.

The brass Brinks seem to have tighter tolerances than the laminated ones. For getting the feel of things - those two are great little learning locks. Once you get the feel of an American - or, God forbid a Yale - that Brinks will remind you of driving a Volkswagen thru a barn door.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:49 pm

to this day, I don't think I have ever been able to pick one of those brass Brinks I have tried a few, and even owned one that got cut up!! I have always hated these things, they are tough.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks to all. This lock is great to learn on. I've learned many things even though I can't pick it very often. I found the masters very easy. Even the 140 that many newbies like myself are having trouble with. It was probably too hard of a lock for me to try but I did because I didn't know it. This lock is 6.96 at walmart. Who would have thought it would be this tough. I don't want to go back to easy just to say I picked them. So, I'll continue to practice on this until I can pick it like the easy ones as well as working on some others. I found keypicking. com because of this lock. What fun and knowledge I get from that. Some of the forums are quick to come on strong about newbie questions and when you ask the wrong question, WOW! At least no one ignored a thread about a brass brinks lock that I have read countless threads on many forums and again, thanks to everyone for the input.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Wanted to tell all that I can now pick the Brinks fairly consistently now after going through 3 of them since Nov. '09. I was bored with easy ones so I found this one interesting. If I wasn't already almost bald I would have pulled my hair out! Any newbies who want to learn about spools ought to grab one of these from Walmart for $7.

Return to Lock Picking