FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What have you picked today

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: What have you picked today

otcmx wrote:Sorry, my name is Eric and I'm new here. I saw there are so many threads in this forum that I don't exactly know my questions belong to which particular thread.
It's so fascinating that there are so many people interested in this skill set and I was surprised to find so many community forums discussing this subject of lock picking. And I think that it would be very useful to learn this skill.
The picture of the door lock is like this image.

What exactly are you asking? And what door?

If you want to learn how to pick. You should first learn a few rules to keep yourself and everybody else safe.

1 do not pick a lock you do not own or have the owners permission to pick. This includes confirming the owners identity.

2. Do not pick locks that are in use. I.E door locks installed in a functioning door. There is a chance you will screw the lock up, and not even be able to use the key on it.

I suggest getting a few low cost padlocks just for picking. And a cheap starter set from southord. Watch a bunch of bosnian bill videos on YouTube and spend hours picking those padlocks you bought just for picking.
<<

otcmx

Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:47 am

WestCoastPicks wrote:
otcmx wrote:Sorry, my name is Eric and I'm new here. I saw there are so many threads in this forum that I don't exactly know my questions belong to which particular thread.
It's so fascinating that there are so many people interested in this skill set and I was surprised to find so many community forums discussing this subject of lock picking. And I think that it would be very useful to learn this skill.

If you want to learn how to pick. You should first learn a few rules to keep yourself and everybody else safe.

1 do not pick a lock you do not own or have the owners permission to pick. This includes confirming the owners identity.

2. Do not pick locks that are in use. I.E door locks installed in a functioning door. There is a chance you will screw the lock up, and not even be able to use the key on it.

I suggest getting a few low cost padlocks just for picking. And a cheap starter set from southord. Watch a bunch of bosnian bill videos on YouTube and spend hours picking those padlocks you bought just for picking.

Yes I totally understand your concern. It's the storage door in my house and I have lost the key to the door. So I'm thinking of picking it myself at the same time learning the skill. Sorry, just out of curiosity, is it that difficult to learn the skill that people needs to practice is over and over?
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:40 pm

First MulTLock :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:23 am

DroppedTensionWrench wrote:First MulTLock :)

Not an easy bittings: first pin looks the longest available, and some short on the back.

Congrats :wink:
<<

HT4

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:50 am

DroppedTensionWrench wrote:First MulTLock :)

Great job, J! Those high pins in the back can be tricky.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:07 pm

The good and bad part of MTL keys, is that I can decode the bitting with a quick glance of a key. Great picking, love MTLs.
<<

Trekmaster30

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 pm

"Embrace the Suck" Arrow pinned by Farmer13 sent to me by Bosnian Bill. Fun lock. I'll have the video for it on my yt channel shortly. Just waiting on windows movie maker to crawl thru the process of saving to hd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 am

Almont b..jpg
Almont a..jpg
Just got an Almont Re-key padlock.
https://youtu.be/WoCIh-ZIsdA
Neat lock.
Now to re-key it with some security pins.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm

jharveee wrote:
Almont b..jpg
Almont a..jpg
Just got an Almont Re-key padlock.
https://youtu.be/WoCIh-ZIsdA
Neat lock.
Now to re-key it with some security pins.

Be careful in doing so, you may drop all keys. make or get something to hold the pins in places... I used a filed fork!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks for the tip.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Haha juste noticed that old video from bill! Yeah he's got you covered :p
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Kaba Peaks Control. Anyone know where to get blanks? Have just operating key.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:21 pm

Patrick Star wrote:ASSA RUKO 3 padlock
Edit: tinypic decided to replace the first picture with something else entirely, WTF?
Got this one without a key or any other information about the core at all. Apparently the neighbor of a friend had locked up a storage shed with it and lost the key. Luckily he mauled the thing it was attached to instead of ruining the lock/shackle (in fact, it came with a bit of metal from the door still attached to the shackle).

Unsure what's in it - behaves a lot like serrated pins and little to no counter-rotation. Edit: Turns out it is indeed serrated pins, two to three serrations each. Is this really an ASSA core?

It's been sitting in my collection unpicked for far, far too long. Haven't even made an effort in a long time but figured yesterday I should give it a go now that I have more experience with serrated pins.
Tricky part was working with the nasty warding and not oversetting pins during the last segment of the picking (latter made worse by the former since constantly touching the warding really dulls the feel of the pins). Had to find just the right level of tension.

Not sure if it is an ASSA core, but I can tell you mine has an ASSA twin core in it. I'm sure that's how the 3 came, so I'm doubtful that's the stock core. But then again, what do I know? lol
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:35 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:
Patrick Star wrote:ASSA RUKO 3 padlock
Edit: tinypic decided to replace the first picture with something else entirely, WTF?
Got this one without a key or any other information about the core at all. Apparently the neighbor of a friend had locked up a storage shed with it and lost the key. Luckily he mauled the thing it was attached to instead of ruining the lock/shackle (in fact, it came with a bit of metal from the door still attached to the shackle).

Unsure what's in it - behaves a lot like serrated pins and little to no counter-rotation. Edit: Turns out it is indeed serrated pins, two to three serrations each. Is this really an ASSA core?

It's been sitting in my collection unpicked for far, far too long. Haven't even made an effort in a long time but figured yesterday I should give it a go now that I have more experience with serrated pins.
Tricky part was working with the nasty warding and not oversetting pins during the last segment of the picking (latter made worse by the former since constantly touching the warding really dulls the feel of the pins). Had to find just the right level of tension.

Not sure if it is an ASSA core, but I can tell you mine has an ASSA twin core in it. I'm sure that's how the 3 came, so I'm doubtful that's the stock core. But then again, what do I know? lol

The ASSA padlocks come with a variety of cores available. That is most likely a factory core, but not a Twin.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:53 pm

otcmx wrote:
WestCoastPicks wrote:

Yes I totally understand your concern. It's the storage door in my house and I have lost the key to the door. So I'm thinking of picking it myself at the same time learning the skill. Sorry, just out of curiosity, is it that difficult to learn the skill that people needs to practice is over and over?

Give it a try and find out. I'm telling you right now, it is literally impossible to learn how to pick locks by picking just one lock. There are thousands of different locks, different keyways, different pins, pin configurations, pin spacing and sizing, spring pressures, core tension and many other things you need to learn before you could even think of calling yourself skilled. It is equivalent of badly strumming one easy chord on a guitar, and then thinking you're skilled at it.

Like anything else, you don't get to call yourself a skilled anything unless you're actually skilled at it. How are you going to become skilled at something without putting in time and practice? Are you skilled if you've got good at opening your one door lock (one of the easiest locks to pick) but can't open a simple master lock that has a few spool pins? Or an American with serrated pins? Or a wild ass keyway that you can't fit your pick in to? No, you're not.

I know of nothing in the world a person can become skilled without spending time learning and practicing. So yes, like any other skill in the world, you have to practice over and over.

Again, I stress: Do not pick on your doors or other locks that are currently in use. Even that one you don't have a key for. If you have time, work up the skill before you try picking it. If you don't have the time, call a locksmith. You picking it green might work, but you might also screw the lock up so that even a skilled person couldn't pick it.
If you honestly want to learn, regardless of that door you can't open, you're going to have to practice. No way around that. If you just want to get that door open (I'm thinking that's the case since you seem to have your mind set on it even after being told it's not a good Idea generally and against the community guidelines) call a locksmith.
PreviousNext

Return to Lock Picking