FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

amer 5200 raked but i cant spp..halp!

<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

amer 5200 raked but i cant spp..halp!

the title says it all. i finally caved a week ago an bought what seems to be one of the more popular locks for a novice trying to transition to the next level: the American 5200.

was quite disappointed when i was able to rake it open in about 15 minutes after opening the box. arrogance and false pride soon took hold as i told myself that i am no novice but a lockpicking prodigy, on the rise, mocking that square piece of metal that lay before me on my bench which i was able to unlock without key.

so after all that nonsense had passed, i went to spp the bitch the following day ..and lemme tell ya, there are some effed up pins in the that thing. pins ive never encountered before, possibly some serrated drivers? i dont know. but the challenge of a tough lock is what keeps me coming back to this great hobby.

but anyway, just thought id share my story on here. ive been goin at it here an there and i know im getting close. ive been going with a sparrow hook and mid size tension flex or a peterson prybar and peterson short hook. and then some homebrews as well. was just wondering what are your guys go-to tools are when it comes to this lock.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Re: amer 5200 raked but i cant spp..halp!

American Locks use :serrated: :spoorated: :serkeypin: . Serrated drivers, serrated keypins, and serrated spools. Sounds like its time to learn how to pick these. My best advice to you is to learn how to determine a serration from a true set by both feeling and sound. You may also encounter a false set. Not sure if you've dealt with spools before but it is possible to get a false on these locks.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 pm

I should also add that my "go to" on American Locks is a Peterson slender short hook and a Peterson Prybar.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm

That link below is a link to a very well written, very in depth article about American Padlocks by Oldfast. It's worth a read and there is some insight to how to pick these locks.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6905
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

hey rerun12, i hear ya mate. haven't picked a 5200 but the american lock weaponry [serrated keypins, serrated spool and serrated drivers] had me right challenged for some time. i can vouch for the article by oldfast- it was a great help to me. and whilst i haven't any slimline picks, i was really wishing i had one on the american keyways- standard thickness picks WILL get in there from the bottom [i.e not levering off the ward] but it is pretty tight on my 700. i swapped to ward-leverage on that one just to clarify the feedback, which was getting muddied by friction on keyway. hope that makes sense and is some help to you.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

Indeed it's a great step up and will give you a great feeling of accomplishment.
Keep with it. My first one took me FAR longer than I care to disclose. lol
Be willing to bet you'll get the hang of em' quicker than I did.
Hope my write-up helps. (Thanks for linkin' it Matt)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:36 am

I also struggled with my first American Lock 1100 series padlock. It was red. It annoyed the hell out of me. I asked wizwazzle (awol70) for help and he pointed me to this site. Practicing the serrated pins and false sets over and over until I could open them at will is what got me so good at security pins. You'll want to acquire more of these locks to practice with, they'll teach you an incredible amount. If you start getting bored the 1100 series can be pinned to 6 pins for extra fun. I would recommend trying all serrated pins and then all spooled pins.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:55 am

american 5200 deafeated!!!!

after reading oldfasts thread, i went and made a custom wrench similar to the first one in his pictures. that helped a great deal.

also, thank you to xeo and everyone else who each get me good advice to help me open it up. i think it was the serrated drivers that were confusing me, but now im confident in my ability to identify them through feel.

really glad and honored to be part of this forum. its a welcomed change to be a member of a forum where everyone seems to look out and help each other.

so, with that being said...what type of padlock would you all recommend after the 5200? thanks again, great way to start my day :smile:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

xeo wrote: You'll want to acquire more of these locks to practice with, they'll teach you an incredible amount. If you start getting bored the 1100 series can be pinned to 6 pins for extra fun. I would recommend trying all serrated pins and then all spooled pins.

thanks xeo, i have a couple of american 3560 series that i was able to open with only a few attempts (a few meaning <30) but i will certainly take your advice and start looking to buy/trade for some more americans. thank again all, y'all rock :hbg:
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am

Cheaper than amercan lock but very similiar is the laminated ACE hardware brand 40mm china medium size padlock. very like an american but also has counter tension from the locking dog spring. Seems to requrie heavy but balanced tension, where you overcome the counter tension and still feel for those counter rotations on the 3 spool pins, I am also convinced the other drivers and possibly bottom pins may be serrated.

Just a suggestion
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am

Try a BEST/Arrow/Falcon SFIC next. ;]

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 am

American 3560 series are SFIC padlocks.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm

man i love you guys. i got a ton a stuff as well if anyone is looking for anything in particular.

also, rai: idk if you remember but, awhile back on lp101 i told you about my buddy who works at the scrapyard. well, i got a pile of nice bike spokes if you're still interested. free of charge of course for the man they call raimundo. ive actually been workin on my own custom raimundo style snapper..we'll see how it goes
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks rerun
since I currently don't have any, i would like a small selection of what you have,

I really appreciate it

Rai

Return to Lock Picking