FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Any Disabled Locksmith's Out There?

<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Any Disabled Locksmith's Out There?

No offensce to any one out there but i was wondering if there are any disabled locksmiths out there.

I am disabled myself mostly in my feet but I plan on becoming a locksmith. The only thing stopping me is how far i can walk. If I walk to far my feet become sore.

I do get extra help on math in school but... I was wondering what are your takes guys what would you think if a locksmith came to your house and unlocked it while sitting on a stool?

The way I think is what if i brought a stool with me when i do lockouts and such.

Thanks Everyone

"Don't Break The Law And Don't Break The Lock"

Your Man Dan
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:59 am

Re: Any Disabled Locksmith's Out There?

I don't know what getting help in math at school has to do with it, but personally I have always felt it is unnecessary and unwise to be kneeling anywhere for very long. If it is a lock that is giving you trouble, then stool will come in handy. What is the customer's complaint? You are closer to the lock sitting down or kneeling, and which is more comfortable? You are unable to stand for a period without getting pain, and pain isn't that great for focus. Sitting is going to give you one less distraction, and put you in a beneficial position for picking. This is going to speed up your performance, and that is ultimately what it's all about. Careful you choose a good stool height so don't get a stiff neck.

Picking locks is a fine motor skill. Why should it make a difference if you stand or sit to pick a lock? Nobody is out there cracking the whip forcing guys who repair electronics to stand up. The problems you are going to run into being a locksmith who can't stand is when you have to hang doors, fix frames, installing new locks could be more difficult from a seated position. I can't think of much at the moment, but you see my point.

-ToolyMcgee
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest... in fact I would expect him/her to use one.
Goodluck with everything! :)
<<

GutterClown

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 am

Firstly, just as a note, your sign-off "don't break the lock" isn't going to hold up for very long. There are genuine situations where cutting a padlock, or drilling a cylinder is the only alternative, or the most cost effective one. So bare that in mind.

Secondly, Unless you find it hard to stand for two minutes, you won't need a stool. Most times you're doing an unlock, you walk up to the easiest door and use your pickgun. You're in and paid within five minutes.
Lockouts are about speed and doing what you're trained for, not to learn the pinning of a lock by feel and how many spool pins it might have.

Thirdly, locksmithing is 90% fitting, repairing and manual labor, 10% lockpicking \ lockouts.
I'd be very hard-pressed to make a living from just opening houses.
Today I've removed three broken keys from vehicles\bikes, rekeyed two real-estate properties, secured a forced rollerdoor, added a new key into an existing masterkey system and fitted a cylinder for a school, and fitted a new lock to a caravan.
Didn't pick a single lock, apart from the onsite things while repinning.

If you think you can cut in a deadbolt, entrance set and rekey them, or drill a safe, or remove a car door lock and cut a key by code then sure man go for it. If you're just interested in picking locks, locksmithing might not be for you.

Go to your biggest local locksmith and ask them what they think. I know of bigger shops that just have people that pick locks, rekey locks and cut keys all day. That's their job.
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 am

Well Thanks Everyone For The Support And The Tips.

I Do Plan On Going To School To Be A Locksmith.

Anthore Question For All The Locksmiths Out There....What Are The Types Of Math You Guys Use. For Example Like Pricing Products And Taxes And Your Wages Sooo... Seems Like Alot Of Multiplying And Thats Not A Problem.

Thanks Everyone :)

Your Man Dan

"Don't Break The Law"
<<

GutterClown

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Uhh, QuickBooks and a secretary?
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Well I have a disability, it's called sucking... a lot. I need to get my hands better. :P

But yeah, I don't see a problem with sitting down. If the client has a problem, tell them to shove it and learn the trade themselves. I mean, shit, our electric inspector was an old guy who brought his dog and asked us to put a bowl of water on the floor. A stool? No big whoop! :P

Also, getting help in math has NO barring on your capabilities as a locksmith. So long as you can work those fingers and keep track of a clients bill, you're fine.

But, I do have one huge suggestion. Make sure you don't jump into a game that's ahead of your pace. Take your time. I know it sounds obvious, but never just jump right into it. No matter how amazing and sexy it seems, if you aren't ready, don't jump in.

Now, I'm not saying don't start, because shit, if you never start you never learn, but when the situation calls and people come a knockin, make sure you don't get in over your head. Like, myself, even though I'm "trained" I know I'm not ready. So just make sure you take your damn sweet time and try to learn from someone before you end up learning, and paying, from your mistakes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 pm

m0ose wrote:Well I have a disability, it's called sucking... a lot. I need to get my hands better. :P

Mo0se....you're such an easy target. Me and the rest of the sharks in the pool will give you a bye on this one, my little size 3X friend. Swim little fishy...far far away.
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
m0ose wrote:Well I have a disability, it's called sucking... a lot. I need to get my hands better. :P

Mo0se....you're such an easy target.

so true 8-)

(LOL)
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks Everyone For Support And Ideas
(woohoo)
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:15 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:

Mo0se....you're such an easy target. Me and the rest of the sharks in the pool will give you a bye on this one, my little size 3X friend. Swim little fishy...far far away.
:lol:

It's 4X. :P

Return to Lock Picking