FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Vintage Macy's Lock

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Vintage Macy's Lock

Yes I honestly do believe this is a Macy's lock. Macy's the giant shopping store lol.
Dont ask what pulled me to this lock but I am glad something did because its packed with a best 6 pin core :). The lock is beat up hard. Someone tried to cut the shackle several times and even tried to break it off but nothing.

I have one operating key but no control key and I want to take the core out really bad. Any suggestions?
I seen Peterson offers a SFIC tension tool that look very easy to make yet he wants $40 for one so please tell me where did I get lost with this?

Any info on Best locks / cores would be much appreciated. That especially goes to the best lock fenatics including our new member :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Vintage Macy's Lock

http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/sfic/

Probably the best primer on Best locks around.

While the SFIC wrenches can help most people here that have tried them found them mostly useless. Might as well save your money for more locks ;)

Edit: Is the logo on both sides of the lock? How about that slot at the bottom. It would appear that it is for a metal seal that would block the keyway to prevent tampering with the lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Thank man, I was looking for this link all day. Ill post some pics of the core tomorrow.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:54 pm

If you mean the tension wrench with the little cut-outs (or teeth) filed into it, I made my own back in 1994 and it worked
fine to remove IC Cores from a couple of lock housings I tried. I even won a bet with my Dad, who said it couldn't be done (picked to control)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

woah! thats cool. I have a JCPenny's Padlock. I saw another Macy's Security padlock on ebay a while back but it wasn't a Best.
very cool thanks for sharing.

I have a set of those peterson ICORE tension wrenches but i've only gotten operating during the handful of picking sessions i've used them.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 am

Some cores naturally want to pick to the operating shear line, others naturally pick to control. The effectiveness of those SFIC tension tools, originally designed by Gerry Finch depends a lot on the keyway you are dealing with.

They work by (hopefully) applying tension only to the control sleeve of the core.

There are also some cores which have a modification that renders this approach ineffective.

Since the control key is seldom used, I have found that the control sleeve can end up binding with the housing. This means that a lock will favour the operating shear line.

For this reason, I find it can be very helpful to lubricate the plug thoroughly before going for the control shear line, to free up the control sleeve. This applies whether you are using an SFIC tension tool, or not.

There is an excellent guide by Xeo to picking SFIC cores to control, using a normal tension tool here : http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7540

I hope that helps,

...Mark
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks gents. all good words.

I breakleen cleaned it yesterday close to soaking then aired it with can air and applied lube which got me to picking as before I couldn't but obviously not to control as there would be balloons in my post lol.

I took it with me to work so if I cant get control during work Ill have to either repeat the process or just add more lube later tonight.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:22 am

Here is a pic of the core
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Hmm, the core was replaced at some time recently. Most likely by whoever sold it.

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 pm

Riyame, I did a bit of cleaning so it may look new but I dont believe the guy who sold it to me did any work on it in years because I personally took it of his display and it was covered with dust.
<<

Riyame

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm

The core does not match the patina of the lock around it though. The core looks newish. So it was put in then put into storage most likely.

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Does sound right. Is it possible the Best coated their cores for protection and Macy's didn't?
<<

Riyame

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:29 pm

The locks and cores would all come the same. That lock was made by Best for Macys who had their logo on both sides. Macys did not make it. The lock is weathered and the core is not. It takes many months or years to get like that depending on condition.

Here are a few examples of "original" cores

Return to Lock Picking