FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A Medeco Switch Lock

<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 pm

A Medeco Switch Lock

Hello, the other day while I was at school I noticed a interesting Medeco installed on the wall. Of course I asked a couple instructors and then the owner about it. The owner had no idea what it was connected to nor did he have a key for it. I asked if I could have it and as you can see he gave it to me.
FrontWithCover.jpg

Here is the front of the switch.

SideView.jpg

Here you can see the pressure switch in the middle of it all, to prevent bypassing the lock.

BackSide.jpg

Again a better view of the wiring involved with this lock.

FrontXwithXnoXcover.jpg

As you can see the pressure easily, this is a pretty interesting lock. A nice addition to my collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: A Medeco Switch Lock

nice score... I have one of those, but haven't been able to pick it yet. Pins have to be rotated and lifted to release the sidebar, but there's no shear line like a normal Medico if I understand the workings correctly. Haven't been able to figure out a way to take it apart, either.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

madsamurai, if you look at pic #2 you will see the retainer. It is about dead in the middle of the threads on the cylinder. Remove that and the plug will come out, where you will find a cap haolding all the pins in place. They are interesting little pins with holes in them for the sidebar to interact with.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm

mastersmith wrote:madsamurai, if you look at pic #2 you will see the retainer. It is about dead in the middle of the threads on the cylinder. Remove that and the plug will come out, where you will find a cap haolding all the pins in place. They are interesting little pins with holes in them for the sidebar to interact with.

Thanks, Mark... I thought that was probably it, but they're crimped in place and I didn't want to damage it. Do the retainers on both sides need to be removed?
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I'll have to defer to someone else on that one Chad. I am not all that familiar with this particular model. I would guess, probably, but frankly I don't remember 2 on the ones I've seen.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I have a few of those cam locks too, but never tried to gut one.
I would imagine they're fairly similar to this Metrolock though.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Ok, so I did manage to get it apart. Both retainers have to come off, but the crimps were fairly easy to break and scrape away. Then the core can come out like you said. Here's a few quick and dirty pics (I've still got a bunch of work to do tonight and this was a fun distraction, but need to get back to it)...

Here's the lock mostly broken down:
at the top, from left to right, is the main spring which sets into a hole in the brass ring on the back end of the core (that ring also has a slot cut in it that limits rotation) and a hole in the back of the body. The smaller spring puts pressure on the actuator, the little white piece... it has recesses that let a little microswitch button sit in it and pushes the button when it's turned. The two retaining clips are next, which fit into the bigger grove near the rear of the core. They each have two notches where the body is crimped to hold it in. And the brass pin cap.
The core is similar to Oldfast's but longer... typical medico slotted pin chambers, and you can see the sidebar at the bottom. I didn't take the sidebar off because it is also crimped in place.

Closeup of the pins and springs:
Another difference to Oldfast's lock is there is only a single false gate groove on each pin. The hole is where the fingers of the sidebar fit when it's lifted/turned properly. The little stud on top fits into end of the spring.

Another shot showing the sidebar:

Taking it apart wasn't so bad, but putting it back together was the real treat... Interestingly (sorry didn't get a pic of this) there are three sidebar grooves in the body. It can be changed from clockwise to counter-clockwise by putting the brass ring on differently and using a different groove... accidentally did that first. Really wish I had marked it so I knew which way was up... took a good bit of trial/error to get it back in, hook the main spring and seat it all the way. Be prepared if you decide to gut one of these. I really don't think they mean for these to be serviced, tho it wouldn't be an awful job to rekey one with a little practice.

Pretty cool lock, and I think I have a little better idea now how to pick it. I had imagined it slightly differently... and knowing is half the battle ;)

Hope this helps you, too, Turtle0Monkey... let us know if you get it picked!
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:16 pm

I've never tried, but I have a hunch that those locks take Ilco 1518 blanks.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 pm

malfunctionjunction wrote:I've never tried, but I have a hunch that those locks take Ilco 1518 blanks.

mine looks more like Ilco 1543
<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 am

Well holy hell, look what happens when you don't check your post for a day. That is amazing as hell. I figured the pins were like the normal medecos. I have been asked to pick a 72s that is on an old payphone and haven't been able to yet. But seeing those pins gives me more to go with. Thank you!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:39 am

Very nice! I have a couple of those keyswitches but have never tried to take one apart.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Medeco