FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G 831 cylinder can* be used in 833* (Pics)

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:19 am

S&G 831 cylinder can* be used in 833* (Pics)

Hello,

I was doing some experimenting and found that the cylinder from an 831 CAN be successfully used in an 833. The differences are that the 831 does not have a bit of metal on the left side of the face removed for the slot in the anti drill disc, and the 831 is a Medeco Classic while the 833 is a Bi axial.

As usual, pictures are unsized so thumbs are posted.

The face of the cylinders. The 831 is silver faced and the 833 is green. Notice the slight flatness to the left side of the 833.

It is removed so that the anti drill disc can fit. You can see the tab on the left side.

The back. Notice that they both have half circle cut outs just right of upper center. The 831 is also milled to accept the locking bar, while the 833 is not.

The ball detent? piece of the 833 will fit onto both locks due to them both having the half circle cut out.

While the locking bar of the 831 will not fit onto the 833. (Unless you modify the cylinder)

Here is the lower half with an 833 original cylinder. Notice that the ball detent is flush at the top.

Here it is with the 831 cylinder. Notice how the ball detent is a little lower? This is because the anti drill cap will not fit onto it.

Keyhole with 831 core.

Assembled lock with 831 core

With 831 key inserted. Notice how the key is flush. If you mill the face of the cylinder to accept the anti drill plate, you will have to remove some of the bow of the key as well to make some extra room.

Comparison of the 2 keys.

This is handy if you are looking for an 833 cylinder, but can only find an 831 cylinder. With slight modifications to the tail end you could use an 833 core in an 831 if you so willed it.

I am planning on comparing these 2 to a Hi Shear cylinder as soon as it arrives, and either make this post into, or make a new post as a Military cylinder comparison thread.

Peace all, enjoy.

I know I had more to say, but I cant remember what the hell it was at this time of the morning.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 am

Re: S&G 831 cylinder can* be used in 833* (Pics)

nice bit of work there man... aswome
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 am

Re: S&G 831 cylinder can* be used in 833* (Pics)

Thank you. I was curious if it was possible or not, and if not why? So I tried it out lol.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Return to Sargent & Greenleaf