FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Best price on Peterson I-core tension tools?

<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 am

Best price on Peterson I-core tension tools?

They're 15 bucks each on the peterson site, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a better price. I was going to try and make something similar, but I'm not very handy. Thanks!

**edit: I'm curious to know also if using these tools is considered cheating by purists. You know what I mean.

Jack
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 am

Re: Best price on Peterson I-core tension tools?

I am in the same boat as you on this one. I don't see it as cheating, because you still have to pick it, as it makes a next to impossible task and brings it back down to earth. I have attempted to make one before, but it did not turn out too good. Still have yet to properly pick an sfic lock.
<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 am

I've managed to open a few cores, but the only time I was able to open a Best core was after looking at the key, and even then it was quite difficult. Unlike with American padlocks, where even if I have a picture of the key in my head and know the basic bitting pattern I still can't open them (because I can't tell the difference between a set and serration passing), I can open them if I have an idea, but of course that's not really the same as being able to pick them blind which is what I'd like to do.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 am

I have the tools but I've only been able to pick a Falcon core. To me the Falcon core seems to have far lower tolerances than the Best or even KSP cores. I have 6 KSP cores that I pinned up for my padlocks on my van and I have not been able to pick one of them yet.

I just bought a lock lot off of Ebay and one of the locks is a Best padlock with no core key. I'm hoping to be able to pick it to control do I can decode repin with fresh pins and make a core key.

Back to the Peterson tools, from what I've read elsewhere it helps to have flat toothpicks to prop the tension wrench upright in certain keyways.
<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I went ahead and ordered a set. I wound up getting the set that comes with the two peterson picks (a gem and a reach if I'm not mistaken) hoping I can sell the picks and make a little bit of the money back. I'll post those for sale in the buy sell trade forums when I get them.

Return to BEST