FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Learning about Panic Hardware

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:26 am

Learning about Panic Hardware

Do any of you Commercial/Industrial Locksmiths have any advice on a person who is trying to learn about servicing panic hardware?

Understand that I am stuck in the shop 99% of the time and yet the new guy I brought to the job who has less experience than me gets to go out in the field and learn everything that I want to learn. Hmmmmppphhh!!!

I really want to do field work so in the future I can go on my own so I can better support myself and my family.

Sometimes I think bosses try to keep you from learning as I heard from other bosses that if they teach their employee everything they know, then they will leave them and start on their on, etc.

Any shared opinions on my situation shall be appreciated.

I've been with this company for a little over 2 years now and want to continue with them, but my mind is hungry for learning and I feel that I am stagnant or being limited.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:59 am

Re: Learning about Panic Hardware

You show the initiative here, but does your boss see that?

I would collect every installation manual you can find and study them, same with the manufacturer's service manuals. If possible, print off hard copies versus sitting in front of a computer screen. Pull parts out of the trash and rip into them, if their broken that's even better so you can SEE what's broken and try to understand WHY it broke. If it's still a serviceable item, BREAK IT or methodically remove components one by one and try to operate it after each piece is removed, it will give you a deeper understanding of the role of each part.

This is good for any lock type, especially mortise locks. You want to impress your boss? Take a mortise lock apart and put it back together. I know 30-year veterans of the trade that would just assume throwing it away.

My ramblings :(
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Hey mate, sorry I dont have any direct information that will help you but hey if your in the shop, you have perfect time to learn and practice everything and anything you want. Plus you can take this time to put more thought towards your own shop and start to write out a shop / future plan on paper. Putting it on paper is one step closer to reality.

DMasters, what do you mean mortise lock? Are you talking about a Adam Rite type lock?
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:DMasters, what do you mean mortise lock? Are you talking about a Adam Rite type lock?

No, more along the lines of Schlage L-Series, Corbin-Russwin ML, Sargent 8000 series.

Like this Baldwin that I Googled:
mortise_lock_image_only.jpg

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:47 pm

You need to contact some manufacturers reps to see what classes they have scheduled. They are usually at a distributor facility, and are usually FREE! These guys want you to sell their product and will use all the methods they can to get you to do just that. The most I ever paid for a class was $35 (I think, I'm testing my memory!) and walked out with a Schlage King Cobra lock, as did every other person in the class. Another time the same money got me a box full of Mul-T-Lock products and a small pinning kit. Even the free classes will net you hand tools and sample products. Use your resourses fellas, they are out there. Granted a lot of what I hear about is to far away for me to attend, but if it is close enough I'm there. I don't know if Von Duprin still has the class in Inianapolis. It was a weekend, hotel and meals included, class and a factory tour. Free! So look around, they still want our business.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:30 pm

I don't know much about them personally, but we sell and install a ton of Detex and Von Duprin stuff at work.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Thank you guys so much. I think I am lacking in some initiative here as I am surrounded by a bunch of stuff that I feel are obsolete because it's not a fast moving product.

I've been doing a lot of book work, computer researching, and note taking but want more hands on experience in the field.

As I do recall at another shop my coworker Simon told me I am lucky. I then asked him why. He then said because I get to see everything that comes into the shop. I didn't really get what he meant but I think I kind of do now.

The guy I brought in does kind of make me look bad at times because he is always working on something. But he's been out of work for 5 years already and I work 2 jobs so I am tired most of the time. But some days I do get going and do a lot of stuff around the shop. I always ask my coworker what they did on their service calls as it'll help me to understand what does on out there.

Since our company deals with a lot of hotels for people who really can't afford it. The outside guy deals with a lot of superglued locks, lock outs for hotel rooms, change combinations, the occasional safe lock out which he'll try default numbers that'll actuall open them, and sometimes he will bring back a lot of different unique locks that we just replaced.

I think maybe I am blessed but just can't see the blessings.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!

Return to Professional Locksmiths