FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage Cobra

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 pm

Schlage Cobra

So a customer came in with an older model of the Schlage Cobra lock and he told my coworker sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I downloaded the manual and figured out how to reset it back to default, enter user codes, etc.

Only problem is they didn't give us the mechanism that retracts the latch so I have no way of determining if the problem is there.

The keypad operation seems fine, but his model makes no sound when buttons are pressed. It only has a red light on one side and a green light on the other.

I'll get some picture os it for you guys later.

Youtube has some videos on it but they're of the new model.

Also this lock has a classroom/storeroom function. There is no cylinder on the outside lever.

There is only a missing bypass Best cylinder missing that goes below the lock.

Maybe this cylinder is used to determine the function of the lock or just to open it when the batteries are dead. Need more info on this.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: Schlage Cobra

Chief, your lock should have facilities for a square spindle operating from the outside lever. Find a substitute square stock to put in there, it should not work with the lever. Run your test combo and see if the spindle turns. That is what connects the outside trim to the "chassis" or guts of the lock. If so, the part you have is operating. I have seen many of those "chassis" components fail, it would not be a surprise. We actually used the King Cobra II here at work. It is the "improved" version. I believe the sfic core is an emergency overide, but that's trusting my memory, and that can be a dangerous place to go! Good luck brother.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 am

We used those locks throughout our college student union. The mag stripe reader was programmed so that students could use their ID card to get into specific organization offices. As building managers we just used the key override to get in.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 pm

chieflittlehorse wrote:The keypad operation seems fine, but his model makes no sound when buttons are pressed. It only has a red light on one side and a green light on the other.

You should be able to hear the motor spin after the correct code is entered.

chieflittlehorse wrote:There is only a missing bypass Best cylinder missing that goes below the lock.

Maybe this cylinder is used to determine the function of the lock or just to open it when the batteries are dead. Need more info on this.

The SFIC cylinder just depresses a lug that connects the mechanicals inside, when the cylinder is removed the lug releases the hub and allows the outside lever to turn. They originally shipped with just a cast metal plug held in with a pin. I've installed sooooo many of those things :D

Return to Professional Locksmiths