FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Help catch a burglar - video analysis requested.

Ive both videos a couple dozen times. i belive its the same guy, looks like a black hat under that hoodie both times. I have to agree its a bypass tool but i dont think its a adams rite bypass driver, i bet its something quick and dirty like a bottle opener or a butter knife. Looking forward to a shot of the door.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:40 am

Same guy? Maybe.
I'd just keep my eye out for a guy with red shoe laces and a white umbrella next time it rains.
Least he changes his pants. Cuffs v.s. Hemmed.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Has the cylinder been examined ? Any signs of visible damage,scratches etc.?
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Second video looks like he got smart and trying to hide the tool with those keys but he isnt using a key thats for sure. I think a pic of the lock and latch and all that would greatly help.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Going to a card reader/magnetic lock system is more secure, but there may be privacy concerns from residents. If possible, place a high res image capture system facing that door, and if there's a passageway from the front door to the parking garage place one there - most people won't be coming in the front door, then going to the parkade. Motion sensors could be placed in the parkade too. Typically people come in with their car and go up to their apartment, or come down from their apartment, get into the car and leave - if you have the situation where the man door to the parkade is used, and motion is detected for a period of time, that may warrant investigation. Similarly, a switch could be attached to the lock and turn handle in the door, and if the door is opened without the lock or inside opener being actuated, a security event could be triggered.

Modifying the door so the lock can't be bypassed is a good first step though.
<<

innerpicked

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:48 pm

After watching the second video a few times, it doesn't look like he is using a key, as the does not rotate his wrist or arm any, it looks like he moves his wrist from the frame side of the jamb to the door side of the jamb, possibly manipulating the latch or prying the door if the latch doesn't engage far into the frame. Maybe he is using something like this?
(21:42:51) PhoneMan: restraints? the GF and I do those
(21:42:59) PhoneMan: wait, um...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
<<

just1pick+open

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:53 pm

xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

whizdumb

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:57 pm

My best guess it that is a common ratchet with a straight ended bit tool on the end. Hes probably using that as the lever to separate the door from the latch far enough to where it pops open. Also makes sense that the "bit" that he was using could have fallen off the end of the ratchet onto the ground. That's why he grabs it and picks it up. The door definitely pops open under that pressure can almost see the door slightly torque at the peak of it.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:53 pm

just1pick+open wrote:Has the cylinder been examined ? Any signs of visible damage,scratches etc.?

Good question - I will ask my friend.

Pictures are coming!

Thank-you,
Sean :)
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 am

Awesome feedback so far guys! Keep it coming! :hbg:

Here are some pictures of the door. If you want to see anything else, more detail or higher resolution of something let me know. Very interested to hear what you have to say after looking at the door, hardware and such.

Note, i did photoshop the photo above to remove the address and some other identifying marks. I know the numerical address is visible in the video but I googled the hell out of it and never got anywhere without a street name to go with the number.

I'd love to get specific recommendations on how they could make their front door more secure - I have zero experience with these kinds of latches/doors/etc.

Thanks again!

Sean

Edit - to fix various brain malfunkctions :mrgreen:
Last edited by VancouverSpecial on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:11 am

innerpicked wrote:After watching the second video a few times, it doesn't look like he is using a key, as the does not rotate his wrist or arm any, it looks like he moves his wrist from the frame side of the jamb to the door side of the jamb, possibly manipulating the latch or prying the door if the latch doesn't engage far into the frame. Maybe he is using something like this?

innerpicked,
Thanks for your suggestion - interesting tool idea.
I also don't think he's using a key by the way he moves his hand/arm - doesn't look like turning a key to me, but have no idea what kind of tool. I previously bought some of Peterson's bypass tools but I've not had the opportunity to try them out - yet :)

Kind regards,
Sean
Last edited by VancouverSpecial on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:23 am

Random wrote:Ive both videos a couple dozen times. i belive its the same guy, looks like a black hat under that hoodie both times. I have to agree its a bypass tool but i dont think its a adams rite bypass driver, i bet its something quick and dirty like a bottle opener or a butter knife. Looking forward to a shot of the door.

Thanks for your response.
After many viewings of my own I too think it's the same guy in both videos. In the first video I have no idea but I do think he's using a tool as you see him transfer it from left to right hand and into his pocket. In the second video, holding keys makes sense regardless of what method he uses in case someone were to walk up to the door while he's there - the door opens onto a busy city street that would have traffic at all hours of the day.
Kind regards,
Sean
<<

transposed

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 am

Have you watched this video?

https://youtu.be/ApJQ2wcYjBo?t=130
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 am

transposed wrote:Have you watched this video?

https://youtu.be/ApJQ2wcYjBo?t=130

Hi transposed,

Welcome to the forums. :salute:

Are you saying the burglars could have been using a rare earth magnet?

In the video you linked such a device is used to defeat a cheap electronic safe. However, it is my understanding these magnets work on the solenoid on some electronic locks, not all, depending upon their design. Whereas, I've never heard of magnets being used on the deadlatch/deadbolt style apartment locks seen in the videos I posted? Note, I have very limited knowledge in this area and may be way off base.

Can you elaborate further?

Kind regards,
Sean

P.s. I see the video was filmed in Kitsilano, Vancouver - cool! Are you the Mr.Locksmith in the video?
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:04 am

Robotnik wrote:I'd say he's bypassing rather than using keys - while indistinct in the first video, he appears to be manipulating a latch or bolt in the second. Without knowing type of specific door/hardware/installation situation, this is only a guess, though.

If I'm seeing this wrong, and the subject is in fact using keys, does the property use exterior-mounted key boxes (Supra-type) for maintenance, utility, or management personnel? If so, you may have a compromised code. If these aren't changed frequently or are mounted in a location where personnel entering the code can be observed, it's easy enough for someone to retrieve, use, and return keys undetected.

In answer to the question about the Supra-type key boxes, no they do not use them as they've had too many problems with break-ins in years past and thought it too much of a risk. Prior to the installation of the video security system and upgrading of the locks to Everest cylinders they had numerous break-ins to the parking garage. In each case the windows of most of the parked cars (approx 8 to units in the apartment so similar number of cars) were broken and contents stolen - I'm guessing at least 6+ break-ins including the recent ones, over a span of 4 years.

Thanks for your response :)
Sean
PreviousNext

Return to Professional Locksmiths