FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ilco Universal II Key machine Reviews or advise Good or bad

<<

adi_picker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 am

Re: Ilco Universal II Key machine Reviews or advise Good or

Hey Mr. Pharmer,

I think that your computer is printing out the cards wrong, as you thought. I know when I print them, they are an exact fit for the machine, cut along the lines and whack em in. I would check for any scaling or resizing occurring in your print driver, either at the settings you can access through Instacode when you go to print a card, or by heading into the Control Panel, Devices and Printers, and then bringing up the 'Print Preferences'. You can access these by left clicking on your printer in the Device and Printer CP, and selecting it from the context menu.

Once you have your cards printing correctly, you shouldn't find it so hard to adjust, just grab a key that you know the cut depth of, and you know is cut accurately. Put it in the vise, and put the matching card into the machine, or the micrometer card. Bring the cut up to the wheel, and when its just touching, the needle should be indicating the correct cut depth on the card, or the correct mm or thou depth on the mic card. I roll the cutting wheel backwards when grazing against the key to check, this way you shouldn't be able to remove any meat from the cut, thus keeping it accurate. If the needle is not indicating the correct depth, you need to adjust, which for the depth can be done by rotating the eccentric shaft on the key carrier. If it is still way off, you will need to move the cog wheel onto the next spline of the needle shaft as you have been doing to get it setup so far. I had to do the same when I was reassembling my Blitz after I had it blasted and powdercoated.

You wont find the Micrometer cards in Instacode AFAIK, I checked and was never able to find any, even though it seems like a no-brainer ;) You can however make custom cards, in which you can set your own depth and space info. You could, in theory at least, use this function to create a card with the spaces at even increments in thou or mm to your liking, kind of like a poor mans mic card. The onkly way I found to get my hands on the mic cards was to buy the originals. Look around, prices for these cards vary wildly from one supplier to the next.

Best of Luck,

adi_picker
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Ilco Universal II Key machine Reviews or advise Good or

adi_picker wrote:Hey Mr. Pharmer,

I think that your computer is printing out the cards wrong, as you thought. I know when I print them, they are an exact fit for the machine, cut along the lines and whack em in. I would check for any scaling or resizing occurring in your print driver, either at the settings you can access through Instacode when you go to print a card, or by heading into the Control Panel, Devices and Printers, and then bringing up the 'Print Preferences'. You can access these by left clicking on your printer in the Device and Printer CP, and selecting it from the context menu.

Once you have your cards printing correctly, you shouldn't find it so hard to adjust, just grab a key that you know the cut depth of, and you know is cut accurately. Put it in the vise, and put the matching card into the machine, or the micrometer card. Bring the cut up to the wheel, and when its just touching, the needle should be indicating the correct cut depth on the card, or the correct mm or thou depth on the mic card. I roll the cutting wheel backwards when grazing against the key to check, this way you shouldn't be able to remove any meat from the cut, thus keeping it accurate. If the needle is not indicating the correct depth, you need to adjust, which for the depth can be done by rotating the eccentric shaft on the key carrier. If it is still way off, you will need to move the cog wheel onto the next spline of the needle shaft as you have been doing to get it setup so far. I had to do the same when I was reassembling my Blitz after I had it blasted and powdercoated.

You wont find the Micrometer cards in Instacode AFAIK, I checked and was never able to find any, even though it seems like a no-brainer ;) You can however make custom cards, in which you can set your own depth and space info. You could, in theory at least, use this function to create a card with the spaces at even increments in thou or mm to your liking, kind of like a poor mans mic card. The onkly way I found to get my hands on the mic cards was to buy the originals. Look around, prices for these cards vary wildly from one supplier to the next.

Best of Luck,

adi_picker

Thank you Adi
First off sorry you guys had to read that awful siri dictated paragraph, it was late last night and I used siri to dictate it and didn't read it afterwords.
I found a setting to make actual size and printed one at like 2 am and cut it out and it fits better so I will have to try the calibration today with a full size card
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths