FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safety considerations - lead risk to family

<<

keyway_grooves

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Safety considerations - lead risk to family

I just found an article about higher lead concentrations in the bones and blood of locksmiths, largely associated with breathing in small amounts from brass keycutting over a long period of time:
:geek:
ijerph-02-00164.pdf
:geek:

It's not so bad for hardware shops that cut a few a day amongst other jobs, but this would probably be compounded within vans with poor air venting for you automotive locksmiths, and for those of you who pop off the clear shielding on your keycutter after it gets scratched up. Anyone here invested in an air purifier for their own mobile setup? At the minimum it's worth heeding the note about pregnant women and young children receiving secondary exposure risks from the locksmiths come home and haven't changed and cleaned up - these things can be invisible and not feel like anything for you, but can affect a lifetime of the generation after you. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Safety considerations - lead risk to family

Funny, I was just wondering about that the other day... I've been making a lot of little things out of brass lately, mostly with hand files and a little electric grinder, as well as practicing key impressioning and some soldering here and there, and it occurred to me that I might be exposing myself to a good bit of lead in the process. I did some research into lead content in brass, but my metallurgy and chemistry knowledge is minimal enough that it was a bit tough to follow... about all I managed to figure out is that it used to be a lot worse before California set legal limits on the amount of lead that could be contained in brass (specifically key brass, I believe), but I couldn't really find if the amount that is currently in key brass and other types of brass is dangerous enough to be worried about. I'm also curious to hear what kinds of precautions working locksmiths take, if any, to manage that exposure.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:16 pm

I really don't think about that much - I ate paint chips as a kid
<<

selim

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:18 pm

does anyone even remember when paint had lead in it.
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 pm

selim wrote:does anyone even remember when paint had lead in it.

Still plenty of old houses around with lead paint on them, and plenty of lead paint still being used on cheap chinese plastic toys and such... makes everything so nice and shiny, it's a shame it's so toxic.
<<

selim

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 pm

thanks , I thought I was nut's thinking paint from the old days was way better
<<

selim

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm

haven't seen you around for a while, how ya been ??
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Yep, lead paint. Heck, probably had a lead pacifier. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

selim

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm

I hear that GW, but all it did was give a couple cavity's
<<

selim

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:18 pm

THE WORLD HAS BECOME TO RESTRICTED - but that's just my 2 cents
<<

keyway_grooves

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 pm

madsamurai wrote:Funny, I was just wondering about that the other day... I've been making a lot of little things out of brass lately, mostly with hand files and a little electric grinder, as well as practicing key impressioning and some soldering here and there, and it occurred to me that I might be exposing myself to a good bit of lead in the process. I did some research into lead content in brass, but my metallurgy and chemistry knowledge is minimal enough that it was a bit tough to follow... about all I managed to figure out is that it used to be a lot worse before California set legal limits on the amount of lead that could be contained in brass (specifically key brass, I believe), but I couldn't really find if the amount that is currently in key brass and other types of brass is dangerous enough to be worried about.

From the article - "The brass that is widely used for key manufacturing usually contains 1.5% - 2.5 % of lead" - it also says they usually coat brass for any mass produced good to get that appearance with minimized exposure, but cutting and grinding are enough to coat workclothes and enter the lungs / bloodstream with the metal particulate.

Here's another video I learned from recently from Assa about safety - https://youtu.be/vlxOjVOs1AU - it's mostly about safety goggles, but it has another bit about how it's sound procedure to wipe down your brow and cheeks before you take them off, since it's so easy to wipe your face without thinking and then get the metal smudged into your eyes and go to the hospital (he shares from personal experience!)

selim wrote:THE WORLD HAS BECOME TO RESTRICTED - but that's just my 2 cents

yeah; some talk deflation can open doors and make things freer when trust is soundly established. chaotic til then, but when money talks, lead free pennies are nice -- Harriet Tubman 20's, pretty much miraculous if you can print 'em quick enough. a lot more security features in that there paper

Return to Professional Locksmiths