FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Honda Laser Cut Keys

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Honda Laser Cut Keys

Hello, we are using the Bianchi Keyline 994 Laser machine to duplicate Honda keys.

But lately it seems the our copies are not working.

They go in real rough and I think I might have messed up some customers doors with our copies.

We tried grinding the edge of the keys but this didn't solve it.

I measured the thickness too and everything seems okay.

Is anyone else having these kind of problems with Honda Keys.

We're cutting the Honda keys with the remote shell in case that matters.

I know our Lexus laser cut keys work fine even though sometimes I have to file the edge in order for it to go into the ignition.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Re: Honda Laser Cut Keys

Are you sure the cutter is still good ? Any key you make on this machine should work without any filing.

The Honda laser keys have 2 cutting cards. On one of them the cuts are "deeper" into the blank. It's either 1.05 mm or 1.4mm from the side.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

With the Lexus keys we usually have no problems. A lady once came in and said she had her key cut at Sears and it worked the doors but wouldn't go into the ignition. I measured her key with my micrometer and it was a little bit thicker but not by much. So I just took out my pippin file and filed it until it was about the same as her original key. It went into her ignition just fine afterwards and she was happy.

But for the Honda keys after the machine decodes it and cuts it, it will go in hard into the lock. My boss says this doesn't happen if we buy the blanks from Honda, I guess it just happens when we buy the aftermarket keys. I'm going to start getting the measurements of this key from my micrometer next time. I know I can get the width and thickness of this key but I'm also going to measure the left over thickness from the key on the cut part to see if it's the same as their original. I might even have to measure the laser cut part of the key to see if it's the same because maybe our cutter shrank in size after cutting so many keys.

I do think we should buy a new cutter just to see if that solves the problem.

I do remember before I did any automotive seeing a locksmith file a Honda key with a flat file on the both sides of the key. He told me he did that because the Honda keys get stuck if he didn't.

Thanks for the advice Werewolf! Oh, what machine do you use because you mentions cards, our machine is digital. But we also have a machine that can trace the Honda keys but we rarely use it.

Thanks again!

CLH!
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Those customers ... buy a lock and try them in front of the customer if need be will do wonders for you confidence

your doing a excellent job after all said and done ! :soldier:

many hours - years - decades spent checking and testing - checking and testing - checking and testing

still want to be a locksmith ! :axeem:
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 am

chieflittlehorse wrote:Thanks for the advice Werewolf! Oh, what machine do you use because you mentions cards, our machine is digital. But we also have a machine that can trace the Honda keys but we rarely use it.

We have a Silca Triax and a Keyline Versa.
They are both electronic. But the specifications of how the key is cut (depth , spacing , angle , ...) is also refered to as card.

I did a bit more research:
Our Keyline machine only has 1 card for these (Versa card 16), and that suits the 1.05 mm version.
Both Instacode and the Silca program have 2 cards. Silca 2354 (1.05mm) and 1587 (1.41) , Instacode 1341 (1.05) and 982 (1.41)

I think this might be your problem , i'll mail you a screenshot of the instacode cards.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Werewolf, I attended some Automotive Locksmithing classes from ALOA last week.

I hear that the Honda locks are making the keys wear down quickly, and making the tumblers wear down quickly.

The guy giving the lecture says he always rebuilds the ignition by putting in new pins and springs, he trashes what used to be in the lock.

My job just recuts the keys and most don't work. They then wire brush the new key until it works or take a vise grip to the new key and force it to turn.

So, I'm thinking the first option is better than forcing a lock to work with its still worn down pins.

I'm just a worker so I just have to do what I"m told but NOW I'm understanding what's going on with the Honda keys not working.

I also heard that it's better to cut the first cuts to a number 3 so it does into the locks smoothly as it doesn't affect the ignition or door locks but don't know how I can do that on the 994 since it only replicates the cuts already on the key.

THIS IS MY UPDATE!

CLH!
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am

All good points chief - possible point I was trying to make its not always the key that's at fault

faulty locks with worn internals due to wear or just dirt build up - is common

some good vids on the tube showing how to - much to learn & understand keep at it buddy

still learning everyday - lol
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:24 pm

I never worked on Honda ignitions when I did auto for a short time but I knew people who did and they always dumped the first wafer for the same reason. They came faulty from the factory and caused problems all the time. The justification I was given is that they were protected by a transponder system so the minor reduction in physical security was an acceptable trade off.

Return to Professional Locksmiths