FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What I did today! 8-8-19

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 pm

What I did today! 8-8-19

Let me see. I had to rekey the shower rooms to a MK, and to the men and women's restroom key on a Cal Royal cylinder. I had a regular cylinder set up but seeing at the two cylinders don't look the same, I used their original cylinder.

Next call I went to a wrong address due to my boss stating it was South instead of North on so and so street. This gave me a stress headache. I had to ask for the client's phone number and when I called them they said it was North. So they had a Cal Royal with missing keys. So I bumped it real quick, call the boss for the MK & new CK bitting. Rekeyed it and was off to my next call.

The next call needed their front door cylinder fixed because the boss's Schlage Primus key wouldn't turn the cylinder. But the lady in charge said he was on vacation, so I took my hour lunch.

Next call I was with the boss to a client which had a building being worked on by contractors. The previous week we had core drilled the door for an Electrified Mortise Schlage lock. When we arrived the lock was gone because someone took it off saying it was the wrong color. So we're missing a lock but boss said they'll still pay for it. I was there to help him with electrified hinges but he got some text messages for an emergency call.

So the emergency call was in a not so great area. So he told me to cut the keys were we where at. So I cut 4 DND SC4 keys and stamped them. But everytime I rekeyed the cylinder they wouldn't work. I tried a second time and same thing. So I decided I was there too long and started to drive to the emergency location. So in the parking lot I wrote the bitting numbers and made the key chart on another piece of paper real neat. I then took a different cylinder than the one that didn't work and rekeyed it. The keys and MK worked fine.

So I met the lady who had her keys stolen, opened her unit with the MK, and quickly replaced it with the cylinder I had previously rekeyed. I gave her her key and put the 3 extra keys in the manager's office. Then I went home.

Just a little diary like post of what I did today.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Re: What I did today! 8-8-19

8-9-19
Same old stuff like last time. Rekey the shower room lever lock. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. So went to Subway for coffee and a roast beef sandwich.

Next call was to install a latch guard on a hollow metal door. The boss wanted me to use the Kanzawa drill guide support K-801 I had bought from Amazon. The reason I bought it was because the boss had one. He uses it when he wants to drill a perfectly straight hole. We use a smaller size drill bit to do this then once the hole is pre drilled, we use the drill bit that is required for our specific task. I used a unibit to clean the holes and to enlarge them as necessary. I put the bolts thru the door and used my husky ratchet to tighten the bolts. The install came out pretty nice.

The next call was to fix some vandalism done to a couple of mailboxes. I replaced them both with a universal mailbox lock. Problem was these locks didn't come with a cam. I was able to use one from the old mailbox and the second I had to use a cam from a cam lock. Of course that cam was a bit too long so I had to use my cordless grinder to cut it to size.

After this I just filled out my reports and got to go home early today.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 am

Re: What I did today! 8-8-19

This sounds a lot like what I used to do back when I was a “general” Locksmith. I did like it then, but
now that I work in a large institution, I sure don’t miss the old days, fighting traffic, fighting to get paid, wrong addresses, locks fu*kef up beyond repair, cheap landlords...

Institutional Locksmithing is not for everyone either, but I’m getting too old for this sh*t...

M.

Return to Professional Locksmiths