FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Locksmiths from USA

<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 am

Locksmiths from USA

Can any locksmith from US tell me witch are the most common residential locks and safe locks in US? I'm locking to build some tools for US and Canada, Thank you.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am

Re: Locksmiths from USA

Not from the US, but ...

The residential locks seem to be pin tumbler locks only. Schlage, Kwikset, Medeco.

The most common safe locks are combination locks, mechanical and electronic, because that is what the security standards require. There is sometimes an additional key lock. The most common modern key locks seem to be the La Gard/dormakaba 2270, S&G KeyOp 6804/5/..., and the S&G FAS 6870. All of them are changable. 2270 is a mechanical combination lock where the wheels are turned by the key. The KeyOp is a single bitted key lock and the FAS basically also a single bitted key lock, but the levers are on both sides, so a double bitted key is necessary. There is at least one decoder for the FAS, but there are likely more.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:33 pm

I agree with Martin, with a couple of modifications. The markets are fairly clear, residential, commercial / industrial. the residential market is Kwikset and Schlage, along with cheap! Cost drives that market. Commercial / Institutional usually has no such restrictions. Medeco, Schlage (commercial grade), Corbin/Russwin, Best come to mind. As far as safes, again I agree with Martin. But I would add the Sargent & Greenleaf 6730 (and derivations) to the list. Before LaGard they ruled the American market. There are many other locks out there, Mosler, Diebold and Yale are all popular. If you go back in time, Hall's, HH&M and many others. Basically you need to pick your target audience and start there. I look forward to seeing your designs!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Not from the US, but ...

The residential locks seem to be pin tumbler locks only. Schlage, Kwikset, Medeco.

The most common safe locks are combination locks, mechanical and electronic, because that is what the security standards require. There is sometimes an additional key lock. The most common modern key locks seem to be the La Gard/dormakaba 2270, S&G KeyOp 6804/5/..., and the S&G FAS 6870. All of them are changable. 2270 is a mechanical combination lock where the wheels are turned by the key. The KeyOp is a single bitted key lock and the FAS basically also a single bitted key lock, but the levers are on both sides, so a double bitted key is necessary. There is at least one decoder for the FAS, but there are likely more.

Thank you, pin tumbler locks this is quite bad in term of security.... i will take a look at all this safe locks and try to see what can be done but since most of them are combination locks and electronic they are already existent solution on the market like the Phoenix 4.0 for electronic locks... in Europa most of safes are with mechanical locks, in France they are a lot of fichet bauche and mauer i also have a home made tool for mauer and i work on a more easy why to unlock mauer
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:29 am

mastersmith wrote:I agree with Martin, with a couple of modifications. The markets are fairly clear, residential, commercial / industrial. the residential market is Kwikset and Schlage, along with cheap! Cost drives that market. Commercial / Institutional usually has no such restrictions. Medeco, Schlage (commercial grade), Corbin/Russwin, Best come to mind. As far as safes, again I agree with Martin. But I would add the Sargent & Greenleaf 6730 (and derivations) to the list. Before LaGard they ruled the American market. There are many other locks out there, Mosler, Diebold and Yale are all popular. If you go back in time, Hall's, HH&M and many others. Basically you need to pick your target audience and start there. I look forward to seeing your designs!

I see, thank you some of them i already heard about some other i will find them on google and see what they are about, anyway i always start from the though that if a human did it a human can unlock it no matter what the lock is, in France the gov lock are not industrial made they are created by a special unity in the gov labs so nobody can find them on the market...

This month i will have a lot of work i need to open some safes but next month i will try to post more video's with different tools, i will also study the mentioned locks and see if i can find a market for them and if yes then i will start to try to build some tools for them for residential and safes...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am

The FAS should be the most interesting of these. They are difficult to pick, used in the US on TL-rated safes and ATMs, in Europe as 6880 in ATMs and also rated safes. As a little challenge there is also the 6890 (old model) with an anti-pressure lever like the Chatwood Invincible and the 6990 (current model) with an "arrester"? mechanism like the 30C phone lock.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 am

OutillageSerrurier wrote:Thank you, pin tumbler locks this is quite bad in term of security.... i will take a look at all this safe locks and try to see what can be done but since most of them are combination locks and electronic they are already existent solution on the market like the Phoenix 4.0 for electronic locks... in Europa most of safes are with mechanical locks, in France they are a lot of fichet bauche and mauer i also have a home made tool for mauer and i work on a more easy why to unlock mauer

I wouldn't have any issues if you still wanted to make an alternative to the Phoenix tool. :)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:59 am

Kezo wrote:I wouldn't have any issues if you still wanted to make an alternative to the Phoenix tool. :)

The public Phoenix-like tools are all US-centric. There is at least one non-advertised tool from Europe. Another one with more focus on European locks, e.g. Fichet, probably won't hurt.
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:34 am

Kezo wrote:
OutillageSerrurier wrote:Thank you, pin tumbler locks this is quite bad in term of security.... i will take a look at all this safe locks and try to see what can be done but since most of them are combination locks and electronic they are already existent solution on the market like the Phoenix 4.0 for electronic locks... in Europa most of safes are with mechanical locks, in France they are a lot of fichet bauche and mauer i also have a home made tool for mauer and i work on a more easy why to unlock mauer

I wouldn't have any issues if you still wanted to make an alternative to the Phoenix tool. :)

I will love to be able to make an alternative tool for Phoenix, but unfortunately i"m good only in mechanic tools all what is about programing interfaces micro controllers etc.... i have no idea about that subject
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 am

MartinHewitt wrote:
Kezo wrote:I wouldn't have any issues if you still wanted to make an alternative to the Phoenix tool. :)

The public Phoenix-like tools are all US-centric. There is at least one non-advertised tool from Europe. Another one with more focus on European locks, e.g. Fichet, probably won't hurt.

You mean that there is a similar tools ( non-advertised tool from Europe ) ? for the moment i use unable to find any solution for Fichet Nectra lock, i have solution for MC4 and for Moneo but not for Nectra
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:39 am

MartinHewitt wrote:The FAS should be the most interesting of these. They are difficult to pick, used in the US on TL-rated safes and ATMs, in Europe as 6880 in ATMs and also rated safes. As a little challenge there is also the 6890 (old model) with an anti-pressure lever like the Chatwood Invincible and the 6990 (current model) with an "arrester"? mechanism like the 30C phone lock.

I see thank you i will start to make some recherche about them I'm pretty sure there must to be a why everything that is mechanical can be defeated
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:51 pm

There is a bit information: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11867
<<

Alexander Mundy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Here in the US in my city (perhaps elsewhere) thieves do not pick locks, destructive entry is so much quicker and simpler. So high security locks are not common place. Take for instance my locks. One might assume I would have high security locks on my house, but I have Defiant which are trash as far as security. But that thief is going to break down the door or break out a window instead of bumping or picking the lock. So people just don't pay for high security locks for their houses. At my business the lock is a Schlage so better but they just break windows out usually. There have been a few more innovative thieves going for high value targets that have been caught with the jaws of life so practically no lock or reinforced door is going to stop that. Security is served best here by monitored electronic security systems. (My business is right next to Brinks armored car business in the same building so that is a big deterrent I don't have to pay for) Also the odds of breaking into a house and being on the wrong end of a gun are really very high here in redneck country and there is a "Castle law" so the phrase everyone knows is you shoot them after they get in and before they get out of the house.
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am

Alexander Mundy wrote:Here in the US in my city (perhaps elsewhere) thieves do not pick locks, destructive entry is so much quicker and simpler. So high security locks are not common place. Take for instance my locks. One might assume I would have high security locks on my house, but I have Defiant which are trash as far as security. But that thief is going to break down the door or break out a window instead of bumping or picking the lock. So people just don't pay for high security locks for their houses. At my business the lock is a Schlage so better but they just break windows out usually. There have been a few more innovative thieves going for high value targets that have been caught with the jaws of life so practically no lock or reinforced door is going to stop that. Security is served best here by monitored electronic security systems. (My business is right next to Brinks armored car business in the same building so that is a big deterrent I don't have to pay for) Also the odds of breaking into a house and being on the wrong end of a gun are really very high here in redneck country and there is a "Castle law" so the phrase everyone knows is you shoot them after they get in and before they get out of the house.

I agree with you, most of the thieves even here in france most of them are using destructive entry tools, but still a good door and a good lock can make they life harder if they want to break in a place, and yes a good alarm system is very important.
<<

OutillageSerrurier

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am

MartinHewitt wrote:There is a bit information: https://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11867

Thank you

Return to Professional Locksmiths