FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need Help

<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 am

Need Help

I'm going to try to start a little lockshop at my house. I have been doing commercial locksmithing for four years. Mostly all I do is master key cylinders, most of the time I don't even see the lockset that they go into.

I want to get some card's to pass out, and maybe get some bussines. What do you put on the cards, can anyone show their cards, work vans, or any thing else about their jobs.

Just need to get an idea of what I need before I start to order my cards.

Thanks for any help

selim
<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Need Help

think you should put a big lock in the background
and make a stupid guarantee like "if we cant get it open for you get a new lock free!" :smile:
<<

chaplainp

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:55 am

l went to vista print online for very reasonable inexpensive cards
They also had some good graphics. Start out small with some magnetic signs for your truck then invest in some professional graphics when you finalize the image you want to portay. Most of my equipment worked on DC power until I got a trailer with a generator to use at job sites
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 pm

I would put only the things you specialize in till you learn the rest. Or you could just keep it general and let people think what they want. Some guys swear by visa print but i dislike them. I believe your business cards say alot about your business. When you walk up to talk a potential customer to talk to them they will see two things for their first impression . One is you, Your appearance such as shirt with your logo ect. The other is your business card. By having a decent shirt with you logo and a great bussiness card this can portray alot to a potential customer. THey never see you work out of house or shop or whatever...sometimes they really dont see what you are driving or if you have the latest and greatest tools. The 2 things they will look at can make it seem like you have a real big business and you are a true professional in your field. I get turned off when i turn someones card over and it says free from vista. One.. they usually look cheap and it shows me they dont really care enough or too cheap to spend moeny to make it . I dont want that person touching anything of mine. My two cents.

also go to a few locksmith in your area and grab their business cards and see whats happenin. Dont tell them you are starting up.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey, Vistaprint is great! Don't get the free cards, they are very very competitively priced if you get cards from them and actually pay and then they don't have the vistaprint logo and info on the back making them appear unprofessional. I completely agree with thelockoutguys on the point that the free cards look extremely unprofessional.

I used them to get 4 sets of business cards for my photography business and they are printed to my specifications front and back, no indication who made them. Full color cards with photo on the front and a design on the back. I got two sets each for me and my wife, two sets because one set is wedding specific, and the other is more generalized.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 pm

well, vista print sucks, I got about 500 cards from them, and I paid, well for about 3 weeks later I was charged money for the same cards, I tried to get my bank to not honor the charges but they wouldn't it was all a scam, don't ever get any products from them. That is my opionion.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:09 pm

They are not a scam kid, you just have some kind of online purchasing bad karma from hell to work off or something... You seem to have bad luck with like nearly everyone you order from.

They are a reputable company, and I have purchased from them many times and know alot of people who have as well with no problems whatsoever.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I do have bad luck online, everytime I order something it takes 3 freaking weeks to get here, I don't live at the North Pole either. I have a pistol barrel that I ordered in early July that still hasn't came either..... Sucks.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

chaplainp

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:56 pm

I had good luck with the cards I Bought from them don't know about the free ones
I just hope my post helped a little.
<<

selim

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Thank's everyone, I think I will go with viasta print.
Next question, is there somwhere I can look to see what I should be charging for the jobs I do ?

Thanks Again

selim
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 pm

I wont really get to deep into this but locksmiths charge different prices. Some higher some lower but what it boils down to is you need to charge what is fair and what will make you money. Some have huge overhead and some do not. Some are mobile and some only do work at their shop. Borrow a few phones and make some calls and see what they charge for a job. Then call back and check somemore. Prices vary so much its really not going to help a whole bunch by asking on here. I know i have a magazine...maybe locksmith ledger...cant remember right now..that comes out yearly with price survey of what locksith charge. I ll look for it. good luck
<<

selim

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks, thelockoutguys, I thought I saw a national average guide somewhere.
Can't fing it now.

selim

Return to Professional Locksmiths