FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

locksmith "ministry" looking for a model

<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:29 am

locksmith "ministry" looking for a model

My wife works at a Christian non-profit here in Ohio. They offer a wide range of services, including meals, groceries, real life classes ( GED training, single parenting, anger management, of course Bible study, etc.), health and dental screenings and more. This summer they are opening a beauty salon where homeless gals can get a cut and wash, showers, a bicycle shop where kids can get a bike after passing a safety course and I am going to put a lock shop in the facility. Ultimately I hope to offer free lock services to single mothers and battered women who can't afford to pay for security. Here is my problem, I have no model to go by. I don't even think it has ever been attempted. I have plenty of equipment for the shop. I will be looking for ideas for obtaining product (locks, etc.) and any advice one can offer me on any topics that they deem relevent. This is going to be an adventure. Wish me luck! By the way, the nonprofit is called the Life Enrichment Center (LEC), look them up.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:58 am

Re: locksmith "ministry" looking for a model

Ask Matthew Lesko for a government grant.

Honestly, this seems like a wallet burner if you ask me.

5535772218_180dfef23e.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 am

I agree. Without donations, it won't last long. But if God is in it, you can't lose.If I were still in Ohio, I would offer to help.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Idgas

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 am

I would think the group (maybe a woman center and a church or two) would be able to fund the cost of the locks. But it is the labor that is needed that is where you would be of value.

Are non-profits in Ohio exempt from sales taxes? If so you just cut 6 - 8% of the cost already. Buying in "bulk" you may be able to get an additional discount.

Don't give up the idea but do some local research first. The people running the center should be who you first have this talk with not a bunch of folks on the internet.

edit: fixed spelling error
Last edited by Idgas on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:50 am

Find an intelligent woman who needs help and wants/needs to learn a trade how to do some basic locksmithing like re-keying and installation etc. You could get help with your labor in that way and be teaching someone who probably has some pretty low self esteem not only learn something valuable but also some self value. Could you do work for locals who are not battered women etc to bring money into your operation and stay a non-profit?
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:17 pm

I don't have any use for government grant money. Don't you already throw cash enough places, without a vote, already? I don't mind funding as much as I can, that's what we're about. I will do what is in my power to do. If it bothered me to give something back you would never have heard of me. The big issues are man power, and I do think that ultimately I will be taking on an apprentice (maybe a high school volunteer that needs some punch in their college application?) The materials will be solicited for starters, then hopefully some one will decide to make it their opportunity to give back? I can hope!
I'm worried, given the circumstances of the beneficiaries, that doors may be kicked in, frames splintered, places being rental units (what will the lease say?) How will the women be selected to receive free work? Or the dozens of other circumstances that will arise as this is growing. A model would allow me to see the problems I am not thinking about. A lot of these people are going to feel entitled , and will attempt ruin it for the rest. Because that's what they do. They can take that up with their maker and leave me out of it. Being Christian doesn't make you blind or stupid, people will be people. And many people are jerks! I want to see that the ones who appreciate the help have an opportunity to be offered a hand up. The LEC is about making people self sufficient and self reliant. Empowerment comes with confidence.
As I said, this is the ultimate goal, and that goal is a long way off. Heck, I may be retired by then and the man power problem will be in the past!
For the record, every body should give back in some way. You don't have to be Christian, just breathing! Find a need, help. It's that simple. Thanks for all the input. If I ever get this off the ground it should make for some good stories!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Check out the Habitat for Humanity Restore: lots of good locks for cheap. plus they might hook you up too since you are a non profit.
http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_d ... x?place=53
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 am

where can I find that site for Maine
<<

macgng

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 pm

I know of one refugee family that built and lives in a HFH house. It's a great deal,but....The locks are real crap, they were falling apart in a month, and the interior doors are pressed paper (hard board?) formed to look like wood. I imagine these parts are donations or low bid, but the one example I've seen is terrible. I like the way you're thinking though. Thank you for the suggestion.

LPKid, keep being you. It will come back to you in spades! There can never be to many good guys in the world.

Return to Professional Locksmiths