FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What brand of safe drilling bits do you use?

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Re: What brand of safe drilling bits do you use?

Rph58 wrote:
Deadlock wrote:I'm going to take a guess that it's Guhring.

That's the one Guhring , used them with a mag based drill to drill a few ATMS worked a treat when they get hot

Thanks Deadlock

That must be some crazy hardplate they have where You are at, I have learned to do the the exact opposite with hardplate in Arizona
<<

Rph58

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:51 pm

jones wrote:
Rph58 wrote:
Deadlock wrote:I'm going to take a guess that it's Guhring.

That's the one Guhring , used them with a mag based drill to drill a few ATMS worked a treat when they get hot

Thanks Deadlock

That must be some crazy hardplate they have where You are at, I have learned to do the the exact opposite with hardplate in Arizona

We do have some good ATMS here is the inside of one we had to open

<<

machinist

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 pm

well the rig seems to work OK with traditional plates

heres the mark 1 version of my magnetic lock, the heart is a 1600lb 12/24VDC door lock magnet 1/4" steel plates drilled for the mounting points of the magnet then welded to a 1/2-13 coupler.

appears like it works, time to field test

also 5 minute spindle "gripper" I'm going to add a flat emergency dial to the collar would would make a handy safe tool.
<<

machinist

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 am

magnetic drilling rig in action on a 1930's safe
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 am

You can add a quick-disconnect to your drill if you chuck up the right 6-point socket, one that fits onto the end of your drill rig. Looks really nice, Man, Congratulations
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Very cool! I love seeing tools that people have made themselves.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

DCT

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Nicely done!
Do nothing which is of no use. -Miyamoto Musashi
<<

machinist

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Thank you all for the comments
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 am

On the subject of sharpening carbide, do the lions share with the green stone (silicone-carbide) but finish dressing the drill on a diamond wheel (they are fairly cheap these days) it makes a big difference to the cutting edge on the drill.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

g_kinz

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:32 am

is there good money in safes? what can you charge to open a save and cost of equipment?
<<

DCT

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm

oldlock wrote:On the subject of sharpening carbide, do the lions share with the green stone (silicone-carbide) but finish dressing the drill on a diamond wheel (they are fairly cheap these days) it makes a big difference to the cutting edge on the drill.

This is what we do for sharpening masonry bits for drilling Stellite alloys.
Of course we vary the geometry to suit the specific application.
Do nothing which is of no use. -Miyamoto Musashi
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm

g_kinz wrote:is there good money in safes? what can you charge to open a save and cost of equipment?

I spent lots of wasted time trying to open safes with just the safe-books, then I finally bought a couple of borescopes, I thought that made things easier until I bought a drill rig. I shoulda def bought the drill rig First or even right after
I began buying the safe books. The safes I have opened using my Strong Arm Mini Rig have been soo well drilled that all I have needed was a flashlight to dial them open. That is when/if You have a drill point already though.
Now that I have spent about $3,500+ on parts, locks, books and tools plus tooling (carbide drill bits and many other things) I can much more easily open a safe than in the beginning. Also I can open that safe in a reasonable amount of time.
I highly doubt that I have recouped the amount I have laid out on the above costs, but as You likely know already about programming transponder keys, these items are all write-offable as a "cost of doing business" and while you can open
a safe without all the things I mentioned it is all about Your personal comfort level.

Far as my charges go I like to stay under $250 to drill open a medium to large decent quality safe. I think You hafta be very careful when you quote a price, as the customer will expect Your quote Before any actual work has been done. I always
remind the client that I can't know if a relocker has fired in their safe and that I cannot include that in my fee. So Far I have gotten past any fired relockers, with my tricks. Last time it was a Star round door lift-out safe. The bottom cover
screws had finally loosened up as a result of the employees carelessly tossing it upon the floor for years. I was able to use my magical deadblow hammer to force the bottom cover up, while dialing the safe open. A little lock-tite fixed
that thing up good.
<<

g_kinz

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks for your info Mr Jones. man I just cant see being tired up that long. Was thinking about learning more of my field but. Automotive is so fast. I can make 175 in 5-20 mins. Mr Jones you see my vidoes I posted last week? I showed how I make a igntion key on a Ford and a GM
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:40 am

I didn't catch your videos man
<<

machinist

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:16 pm

g_kinz wrote:Thanks for your info Mr Jones. man I just cant see being tired up that long. Was thinking about learning more of my field but. Automotive is so fast. I can make 175 in 5-20 mins. Mr Jones you see my vidoes I posted last week? I showed how I make a igntion key on a Ford and a GM

Auto will ALWAYS be more $$ than safes. I do safes for fun not for profit but, I do charge obviously. Every now and then I get A good one like a big gun safe I spend real time on and charge 3-400$. two of those day? yeah its good money but most of time its a sentry safe from home depot you tell someone 150$ and they say "150$?! eff you, I'm just gonna drop the thing off the balcony, call cousin 'berto with the angle grinder, hit it with a hammer" Its a lot like lockouts totally depends on the customer but I dont do lockouts any more as there is barely any money in it.

350$
roughly 1 hour: pull dial/drill hole/scope/open/reassemble/change combo , drill pound back safety deposit lock (top door)

250$ roughly 30 mins
pull dial/drill hole/scope/open/reassemble/change combo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional Locksmiths