FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unknown number on a schlage primus key

<<

escher7

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07 am

Unknown number on a schlage primus key

In a bunch of locks I received recently from a local locksmith was a schlage primus cylinder with a key. The key did not work, (and I ended up cutting it down for a side pin pick), but it had large numbers on the bow "000##0". Does anyone know if this was a dealer number or some other designation?? I have seen pictures of control keys with "control" stamped exactly the same.
Last edited by escher7 on Wed May 01, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Unknown number on a schlage primus key

Could be the bitting code although 000660 is a very unusual bitting. If you look at the cuts on the key do they match the numbers in terms of depth? Where the higher the number the deeper the cut is on the key? With Schlage, the bitting for a control key is the same as a user key with the exception that the control key has an extra long tip to push in the 7th pin allowing the side pin to retract inwards.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 am

It's a registration number. Schlage can tell who the locksmith is by that number.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

escher7

Post Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 am

Xeo - No, the keying does not match. I think the number would violate several keying rules.

Magician - That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask the locksmith since he gave me the key by accident and I chopped it up for a Primus pick. Out of curiosity, where did you get the info that it is a dealer number?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 01, 2013 5:44 am

Magician just called your locksmith and asked. He says he needs that key back - belongs to a customer! Can you run it over to him? :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am

escher7 wrote:Xeo - No, the keying does not match. I think the number would violate several keying rules.

Magician - That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask the locksmith since he gave me the key by accident and I chopped it up for a Primus pick. Out of curiosity, where did you get the info that it is a dealer number?

The company I work for deals in restricted Schlage keyways as well and what Magician said is the truth. Schlage puts the dealer number on the bow of the key so they know where it came from in the event they need to know for whatever reason. Imagine a bump key shows up at a crime scene. That would be a huge lead just to know where the bump key blank originated. From there they could start to look for places where those locks were installed and from there any "missing" keys.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 am

The company I work for is a Primus dealer.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 pm

escher7 wrote:In a bunch of locks I received recently from a local locksmith was a schlage primus cylinder with a key. The key did not work, (and I ended up cutting it down for a side pin pick), but it had large numbers on the bow "000##0". Does anyone know if this was a dealer number or some other designation?? I have seen pictures of control keys with "control" stamped exactly the same.

I don't have it in front of me, but my Schlage Everest mortise cutaway's key has a similar number laser/dot printed on it, I'll let you know what it is when I get home. It might be interesting to compare.

Squelchtone
Last edited by Squelchtone on Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

escher7

Post Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm

magician59 wrote:The company I work for is a Primus dealer.

Thanks M. That assures me, but I do feel bad for trashing my locksmith's key. Then again, it might have been another locksmith's key that he grabbed from re-doing a commercial job. Oh well, I opened the lock with the pick I made from the key so At least it wasn't wasted.

Thanks for the info.
<<

escher7

Post Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Magician just called your locksmith and asked. He says he needs that key back - belongs to a customer! Can you run it over to him? :mrgreen:

Gordon

I just went back and changed the number to ”##” so my guy won't get a call from the great Primus god in the sky.
<<

escher7

Post Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I phoned my locksmith and it was one of his keys so I sent him back the bow with his number on it. I didn't tell him that I can now open all of his locks with the sidebar bypass I made from the part I kept. (Not that I would.)

Return to Schlage Primus