FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ameriCAN

<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 pm

ameriCAN

i dunno what has happened to me, but i just popped my american cherry!
piotr sent me this A1100, i was having a few troubles with it lol, so i took it back to 3pin, then every time i stuck 4 in it after 3 was too easy i was getting lost.
so i kinda gave it a rest for a while, just kept picking my 334B45 a lot to try n learn from one i'd already popped. [thanks for that advice oldfast]
anyway today i kept looking at the 1105 and i thought bugger it i'm gonna fully pin this thing and see how i go after a fortnight's break from it.
american.jpg

american 001.jpg

popped it with sparrows tools, modified wrench for TOK approach
:hbg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 am

Re: ameriCAN

Congrats mate, these are my favorite padlocks, it's always a pleasure to pick one.

Cheers :-)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:04 am

:D Exciting stuff! Well done!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 am

Congrats! Americans are fun locks. You will most likely need a support group now as well since they are also addictive!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:18 am

Very nice job!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 am

I have been using very lowrise hooks i make, and then inserting them at a 45 degree angle to the back of the lock (american 5200) then twisting it upright under the pin, then working my way forward. Using the pick by twisting it upright is a technique I think that others here also use, this allows you to duck under the pin and not lift it simply by the size of the pick pushed under the pin.

I use very light tension.

if you use more tension you will hear 'pop's as the pins either set or simply drop into a serration. there is no way to count the sound of these locks as a pin setting. I believe that the little sound like some tiny knuckles cracking can come equally from pin setting or serration setting

with lighter tension, these sounds are more like tiny clicks.

these locks turn very easily when open, unless they are gummed up with some kind of dried out lube or if your tension is dragging against the cylinder wall.

Old fast has a video where he picks 6 of them in quick succession, he is using a top of keyway tensor that no doubt is made for these locks, it has a step on it to allow it to go into the keyway and stop just short of touching that first pin.

I think he must also be using a light touch on the tension.
You can open these locks with a heavier tension, but experience will show that if no drag from gummy lube or a tensor/cylinder wall pressure occurs, they respond faster to light tension.

Old fast, what do you say about the tension?
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am

I know you did not ask me but I will also concur that light tension is the key to learning these locks. There are times though that heavier tension will be needed with some that have some wear to them. Also with a lot repetition I can tell the difference between a serration click and the pin actually setting. It is very subtle and comes from picking these over and over.
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 am

ur right, it is totally addictive! if 1 was just touching the wrench and 10 was in danger of snapping it, i would say i use about 3/10 tension on it.
nice trick, re the twisting of the pick- i didn't do that but i will try that out! part of the trouble i was having with this 1100 was inadvertantly lifting pins with the shaft [terminolgy?] of the pick when i was working on back ones, mostly i think cos i started out with BOK. i found TOK to be a must with this one. this 1100 actually takes quite a bit of torque to turn the plug when it is set, compared to any other lock i have picked. it turns easily for a degree or two, then i need to turn pretty firmly. thanks for the encouragement fellas.
p.s. i have just bought a 700, can't wait for it to arrive : ]
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 am

the plug does take quite a bit of torque to turn lol i picked it several times without realizing it before
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 am

rai wrote:Oldfast, what do you say about the tension?
Really a thing of preference. When writing this (especially section #4) I was very careful to couple my preferences
with the fact that something different may work better for you. Although I personally use moderate - heavy tension...
someone else (you guys for example) might be popping them just as effeciently with a much lighter tension!

In Section #4 I give my thought on utilizing sight, sound, and feel... with the emphasis placed on feel.
Sound is something I really pay attention to and helps me alot. There is a subtle but noticable difference
between a serration and a true set. But again, it's dependant on the condition of a lock and the degree of
wear on the pins. Also, light tension is not going to accent the sound difference as much as heavier tension.

Regardless of how much tension one uses... I think the most important thing is how much lifting force you
use along with that tension.... creating what I call the perfect threshold. Other sensations (like sound) can
be helpful indicators, but IMO, this is the only consistant and viable means of determining when a pinstack is
truly set. It will become to hard to push any farther. And because of the balance you've created between
tension and lifting force... you'll recognize this 'hardness' while not oversetting the pin.

rai wrote:I have been using very lowrise hooks i make, and then inserting them at a 45 degree angle to the back of the lock (american 5200) then twisting it upright under the pin, then working my way forward. Using the pick by twisting it upright is a technique I think that others here also use, this allows you to duck under the pin and not lift it simply by the size of the pick pushed under the pin.
That's cool! I'm curious about your method. Are you working off of one of the wards then?

psykro wrote:....i have just bought a 700, can't wait for it to arrive : ]
Nice! Don't be intimidate by the body... you're essentially dealing with the same thing ;)
Unlike the 1100, there is a return spring though, so you'll notice some spring force on the plug...
(constant force that brings the plug back to the 12 o'clock position)

p.s. This is becoming yet another great discussion on Americans. There are several spread throughout the forum.
I thinks I'll find all I can, and place a link to them in my American thread. The more opinions, the better :)
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm

700 slayed by funny-looking elephant

hahaha i just made this pick, and put up my brew post, and thought hmmm, wonder if it will work?
and it SLAYED this 700 that's had me stumped since i got it a week or so ago!
700.JPG

it looks like this inside
RSCN0147.JPG

:hbg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 am

Congrats! :mg1:
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

thanks mdc!
on the sobering side, i haven't been able to repeat the success yet and i've been at it for an hour!
well, back to it...
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:29 am

Great lookin' homebrew... great lock... and great pickin'
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 am

Hey oldfast,

Someone just gave me an ACE hardware, 8 bucks, 40mm china laminated padlock. this thing has counter tension from the locking dogs and its strong.

I picked it, it required very strong tension, and my impression was that it had three spool pins and though I havent put a light in the keyway and squinted down there with a probe, I have a strong impression that it has serrated pins too.

this thing is like picking an american.

let me know if you get hold of one of these and find this is the case.
Next

Return to Lock Picking