FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent locks with no key bitting

<<

tmcmellon

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 am

Sargent locks with no key bitting

I picked up two Sargent padlocks at an antique store yesterday with what I thought were key blanks attached. It turns out the blanks open the locks. They are related somehow as the wardings are mirror
images of each other. As expected they are easy to pick open. You just slide a flat pick down the top to push all the pins to the top and they pop open. Does anybody know anything about these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Sargent locks with no key bitting

They are zero bitted.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I used to have to key and rekey these by the 100's. They came new with blanks and tapered pin cell plugs to cap them. Drive the plugs in and file them flat. Why these are capped with zero bitted pins is really stupid. To rekey them you have to carefully drill the center of each plug to removed them. Use a really small drill bit to be sure you get it centered, drill all the way through and the use a larger bit just smaller than the plug and hope it grabs and spins the plug out. Use a drill press and drill press vise it is easy once you learn how to do it.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

What the others have said. Not sure why those were sealed up.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

tmcmellon

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks everybody for the info. Getting the pins out should be no problem. My work involves stuff much more difficult than this. A mystery as to why a company like Sargent would make something like this, and why are the wardings on these two locks exact mirrors of each other?
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Look on the back of the blanks you will see the keyway each one is. I will guess one is LA and the other is RA or any R keyway.

Drill the plugs like I said they will come right out.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

tmcmellon

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:38 pm

One blank is numbered NRG 111111 and the other is numbered NLL 111111
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm

RG and LL are the keyways, 111111 is the bitting.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Squelchtone

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 am

@OP I venture to guess that they are pinned up like this (disregard your luck of finding a pair with mirrored keyways for a minute) so that a locksmith who stocks them can demonstrate them opening and cloing nicely to a customer at their counter, and then they would go and pin it up to the customers existing master keyed system or to just a stand alone change key they cut by code based on the MACS for Sargent.

This may be more for marketing than anything. I know I wouldn't want to show a customer a $30 dollar padlock in a baggie with a bunch of pins and springs spilling out.

I live a couple hours from the Sargent factory, an ASSA Abloy umbrella company, and I might reach out to their folks to see why this is done, maybe my answer is totally wrong and there is another reason they pin things up zero bitted. Maybe it is to make sure the plug and shell and all fit and finish and machining is good to go before it leaves the factory, what better way than to pin it up and stick a key in?

just my theory,
Squelchtone

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock