FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Mosler Screw type Safe

<<

Squelchtone

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Mosler Screw type Safe

That's the first time I've ever seen the other side of the lock case on this model, thank you very much for posting these photos!

Is it accurate to say that this lock case does not have a cover that you can take apart? I'm wondering how they got the bolt inside the lock, the case must split into 2 halves, but I don't see how.

A safe tech in LA is putting one of these together for me, gonna cost a pretty penny, but at least I'll have one in my collection =)

Thanks again,
Squelchtone
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Squelchtone, once you remove the wheel pack and the dial, you remove the screw that the hammer? pivots on. Then you remove the two inner wheels and the bolt can slide out the end. My origional lock didn't use the adaptor plate between the lock and the door, but I think I'm going to try to utilize it on my safe. I probably won't get around to any restoration for at least a year as I want to finish my home shop first. Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi oldbiscuit,

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. Aside from a couple google pics and some black and white photos from old books, it's not every day people get to see locks that were built before the Titanic.

I just bought a complete lock (or so I thought) it has everything except the 4 combination wheel curbs that mesh onto the geared center hubs. If anyone here has one or two to spare for sale I'm sure I can find 4 of these 1-7/8" inch bronze wheels. The part of the wheel I need is the part with the numbers on them where it skips from 40 to 60 because the gate is cut into the wheel at 50.

Hope someone has 1 or two or a few to spare, I have 4 hubs on my wheelpack.

Lock is being shipped to me right now, I have only seen photo of it.

Thank you!
Squelchtone
Last edited by Squelchtone on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Squelchtone, I'll look this weekend, I think I still have the wheel pack out of the origional lock, I'll let you know. Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Squelchtone, here's a couple of picks of my old wheel pack. there's 3 wheels which have the setable numbers 0-99 and the fourth wheel is seperate with the attached drive gear.The fourth wheel is keyed to the shaft of the dial. I'm not sure if this is what you need or not, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 am

Hi, thanks for digging those parts up. I would need the 3 outer rims that snap into the center hubs. A local locksmith told me today that he's gonna look in his parts bin and if he has a complete one like the one in your photo, I can just have it for free, so let me see what he has as A. I don't want to take your spare parts in case you end up needing any, and B. If I'm getting it for free from the locksmith, that would work well for my budget on this project.

It's interesting to see your wheel gates are |_| instead of U shaped.

I'll get back to you in a day or two, thanks
Squelchtone
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi oldbiscuit,

My locksmith looked in his parts bins and it looks like they threw the old stuff out, so if you want to PM me with a price you'd like for that whole wheel pack or just for the individual wheels that pop off the geared hubs.

I highlighted in green what parts I need, I need 4 of them, so that would mean buying all of the ones you have.

Let me know if you can part with them and how much you'd like to get.

Thank you,
Squelchtone
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Scuelchtone, mine only has 3 wheels with the rings. The fourth wheel is solid, with the same notch in the outer rim like the others, but it has the gear affixed to it.. Tell you what I'll do, send me your address and I'll send it to you. If it'll work for you , you pay me what you think it's worth to you, I'm easy to get along with. Mark
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks