FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lets tear into an old Diebold safe

<<

L4R3L2

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Re: Lets tear into an old Diebold safe

That safe is soooo beautiful!! I was thinking the same thing about the missing rug. Any yegg would be doomed on that one. No way NOT to leave a finger print! lol
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 am

WOW!!! I've never seen anything so shiny in my whole life!
Congratulations on the AMAZING restoration job!!!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am

You mention the gold leaf stripe on the door getting some turning to liven it up. How is that done without damaging the gold leaf?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 am

GWiens2001 wrote:You mention the gold leaf stripe on the door getting some turning to liven it up. How is that done without damaging the gold leaf?

Gordon

When the size, which is a varnish based adhesive, is applied you have to wait until it dries to the correct state which allows the gold to stick but not sink into the size which would dull it. There is fast and slow drying size, each giving a certain window of opportunity of working time. In this case I am using a fast size which is normally ready to leaf in about an hour with a similar "open" time. The gold needs to be applied, brushed onto the size, burnished (lightly rubbed with cotton), within this window. If using a mask it also needs to be removed. Then it can be turned.

The turning is actually manipulating the size underneath the gold before the size sets up to much. Normally a dowel padded with cotton or foam is wrapped with velvet and this is used to spin an impression which makes the gold reflect light differently than a smooth surface. If the size is to soft, to much pressure is used, or if the material is to abrasive, you will tear up the gold or dull it into the size. If the size has dried to much the spin will not create the desired effect. It is one of those things you learn only by practice. I am by no means an expert (actually more of a beginner) and have learned by the school of hard knocks, but I do manage to get it to turn out pretty darn good.

I think I am going to try the slow size next time. It normally takes 24 hours to be ready but allows a very long open time. That would allow a more relaxed working environment but takes a whole lot of patients before you can start. I'm lacking in that department. lol
It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks