FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yikes, something to be aware of

<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 am

Yikes, something to be aware of

At a recent security conference a speaker demonstrated a hack in which she used a handheld radio and a directional antenna to interfere with the tiny transformers inside hair dryers and GFCI wall sockets resulting in them either a) breaking, or b) catching fire. She could control which would occur based on how long she transmitted.

This is nothing more than inducing a voltage in a coil of wire by hitting it with an electromagnetic field. That got me thinking about solenoids (like you find in almost every electronic keypad safe on earth). That's just a coil of wire...

So I busted out a solenoid salvaged from just such a safe, a multimeter, and a handheld radio (5 watt output, crappy omnidirectional antenna). Using this cobbled together rig I was able to induce 0.1V in the solenoid. I had to experiment with a lot of frequencies to find the one that gave that much induction (NO, I will not be publishing it). Most frequencies I tried only induced about 0.04 V or thereabouts. The omnidirectional antenna wastes more than half of your output power by sending it in directions other than the safe. A directional antenna would send around 80% of your output power to the target.

Since most such solenoids need at least approximately 4.2-4.5 V to activate, I would need to improve output a lot. But this could be accomplished by getting a higher wattage radio ($450 for a 50W rig, $950 for 100W), switching to a directional antenna ($30 give or take), and finding a more effective frequency (Free if possible).

You would have to have physical access to the safe or else unlocking it temporarily is pointless and the metal of the safe itself would serve as a pretty effective shield. However, I have seen that most cheap safes (the kind that would have a solenoid instead of a mechanical lock) have to cut a hole about the size of a quarter through the metal to pass wires through to the keypad and batteries. Some have even larger holes that are just covered by the plastic cover that houses the batteries. In theory(but not yet in practice) these can all be opened with a radio. :shock:

On the other hand, if you aren't careful, you could just melt the solenoid and then nobody gets it without destructive entry.

The point is not that all these safes are now hopelessly compromised, but this data is out in the wild now. I've already seen chatter about using this technique to disable cars by interfering with the ignition timing. It won't be long before someone besides me realizes it could be used to open safes. This is something that safe technictians, designers, and security professionals will have to consider in the future. {sigh}.
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Yikes, something to be aware of

This is nothing new. It was discovered loooong ago...Like 150 years ago...
Manufacturers are well aware of this and measures have been taken to eliminate the possibilities of this
working. Cheap safes maybe vulnerable to this kind of attack but then again they can be bounced too.

I can't believe that some people still think that a safe can be opened by cutting off the hinges...
Like no one had thought of that before...Sigh...

M.
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Been around for a bit. Hard part is getting through containers. For reference, the math to find the ideal induction frequency is pretty trivial. Off the top of my head something like, c/Nd where c is the constant, N is number of wrappings and d is the average diameter of the coil. Harmonics will give a large number of possibilities. Common directional antennas will not increase reception energy by 30%. It is closer to 100000% (common yagi/grid can be had at 30 dbi). At close ranges things get funkier though as multipath matters less. Keep on experimenting to see if you can get induction, might have to use the container shell itself for that. Don't worry so much about radio wattage, lots of energy isn't likely to be necessary.
<<

Violaetor

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Hairdryer or GFCI outlets, without shielding, what about any item with EMI shielding. Why would you demonstrate on an highly irrelevant item to show security flaws. When I start securing my valuables inside small appliances, i'll take note.

Why not tests a kick-resistant deadbolt attached to a screendoor while they're at it.

I'm just extrapolating from my audiophile experiences, I have almost no time with safes.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Altashot wrote:This is nothing new. It was discovered loooong ago...Like 150 years ago...

For sure! The difference now is that it has been broadly dissemminated to a large group of hackers and the tools necessary to implement it are small and cheap. My experience with these kinds of things tell me that if this demonstration catches the imaginations of a few security researchers, we'll have a new demonstration within a year that show successful attacks. I seached very carefully for any examples of someone having done this and couldn't find one, so even thought the theory has been around (heck, I know I didn't come up with it!), nobody has been doing it (publiclly). Now there's a demonstrable and relatively cheap/easy way to implement the attack. We will probably see youtube videos of people doing this in the not-too-distant future.

After all, they've been susceptible to bounce attacks for as long as they've been using solenoids, but how many people were taking advantage of that fact before it showed up on youtube? :smile:

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks