FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent and Greenleaf Small Environmental Padlock Teardown

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Sargent and Greenleaf Small Environmental Padlock Teardown

Picked up one of these off eBay without a key. Since it is necessary to disassemble the lock before making a key, thought it would be good fodder for a post.

This is the model 0883, which is the little brother to the large model 0881, best known as the railroad padlocks. These are smaller in every respect, with a much smaller shackle and even the key is far smaller. This model uses the same keyway and can use the same blanks as the Abloy Classic locks. The first one I got actually had an Abloy Classic key. For this one, I got my grubby little paws on some S&G blanks for this baby. But first, to disassemble.

Open the lock since the shackle must be lifted to access the disassembly set screw. The set screw is accessed through this hole on the top side of the lock on the toe side of the shackle.

You will use a .05" allen screw to back off the set screw.

Once the set screw is backed off or removed (in this case, I removed it), the cylinder cap on the top of the padlock body needs to be unscrewed.

It will no doubt be stuck a bit, so use a very small hammer or mallet to tap an allen screw that is fitted into the hole in the cap. Keep rotating it until the cap can be removed.

The bottom of the cap has a peg that fits inside a spring shown soon.

Two sides of the cap have grooves in them where the set screw fits to keep the cap from being spun off.

Looking into the hole when the cap is removed, you see the spring mentioned above set into a hole in the actuator. Note the actuator orientation in your lock - that raised part in the middle is offset. When in the unlocked position, the side that is more heavily cut away will face the shackle toe.

For disassembly, I am using a generic Abloy Classic key blank.

Make sure that the key has turned the actuator to the fully unlocked position. Ignore that I am using a blank in this picture. I had my reasons. :twisted:

Remove the spring from the actuator.

lift out the actuator.

Here you can see that offset center raised area of the actuator. That is so the locking balls (which are different sizes, too) can be retracted the correct distance to allow the shackle to be raised without coming all the way out of the lock.

One side of the actuator. That groove in the bottom of the actuator allows the actuator to mate up with the cylinder housing below.

Looking back in the lock body, you see the cylinder housing.

Tip the lock to each side, shaking the locking ball into the opening and remove. Remember which locking ball goes in which side since they are different sizes.

At this time, you can remove the shackle. There is no shackle spring. But I took the pictures with the shackle still installed, so that is how you will see the pics.

Turn the key to the locked position and remove the key. If you have a blank, use one. If not, a straight wire coat hanger will work fine. Turn the lock upside down and use the key blank or wire to push the cylinder housing out of the lock body. You can see the cylinder housing starting to poke out of the lock body at the bottom of the picture inside the shackle. (That is why I left the shackle in place for these pics - you can see orientation of the lock body).

Remove the blank as the cylinder housing slides down since the key bow won't fit inside the keyway hole. Keep tapping the lock upside down to get out the cylinder.

And out she falls!

Here is the cylinder housing. The bare groove in the side of the housing has a matching one on the opposite side. These are where the two sidebars fit, one on each side.

Now I am removing the shackle that could have been removed above.

Here a key blank comes in very handy. Not essential, but keeps things oriented well. Remove the discs and spacers, keeping them in order.

On one side of the stack, you will see the narrow individual gates. On the other side, the wide gates that prevent the discs from being turned too far.

At the tip of the key is the first disc. Note the number on the disc. In this case, 4. Keep track of which way each disc is facing which way and where the gates are located.

Next comes a spacer. Note that on the triangular shaped spacers, the corner with a gate in it faces the wide part of the discs.

The second disc is a B. Spacer. Third is a 3. Spacer, followed by 2, 1 and another 3.

Here are all the parts (except for the set screw which I forgot to include in the pic. :oops: Also you can see the S&G blank that will become the key.

The lock body, discs and spacers:

The rest of the parts:

Now am going to show the discs in pairs. A 1 disc flips over to become a 4 disc!

B flips to become a D.

And a 2 becomes a 3.

Now to make a key. Lay the key blank along the housing with the discs and spacers installed. Use a fine point Sharpie marker to mark where the center of each spacer is located.

Cut the bitting as required for each place, testing the key in the cylinder as needed to be sure the gates line up with the sidebars. Your key will end up like this one, except your bitting most likely will be different.

Reassemble the lock and test your key.

If correct, the key will turn just over a half turn.

Woo Hoo!!!

Hope this was worthwhile for you.

Comments are welcome
Corrections or comments made
Haiku should be used.

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Re: Sargent and Greenleaf Small Environmental Padlock Teardo

Padlock languishes
Rescue, rekey and rebuild
Gordon wins again
<<

L4R3L2

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm

EXCELLENT write up! Thank you for taking the time to post this. Very thorough, except you missed a few steps between having the locked lock with no key and getting to the disassembly screw :smile: Is it safe to assume the bigger brother is constructed exactly the same way?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 pm

L4R3L2 wrote:EXCELLENT write up! Thank you for taking the time to post this. Very thorough, except you missed a few steps between having the locked lock with no key and getting to the disassembly screw :smile: Is it safe to assume the bigger brother is constructed exactly the same way?

Nope. The bigger brother is similar, but not exactly the same way.

As for the missing steps - I'm not keen on posting that since the railroads use this smaller lock, too.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Excellent post Gordon!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:40 am

Only MHM
Takes time to compose answers
In the proper form

He finds the right words
Correct form his words taken
Kind praise he imparts

Gordon
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm

You must have had one hell of a show last night! It looks like a volcano up there today.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Not really. The largest part of the fire has moved to the other side of the mountain. It originally started on this side, though. And it looks like it is building up in Romero Canyon area on this side again.

For those who don't know what mdc5150 is talking about, there is a wildfire going on the mountain a few miles from my house. Here are a couple videos. The first is an airdrop of fire retardant that I took from my back yard. The second is also from my back yard of a time lapse of the fire over about 9 hours or so that my son took a few nights ago (the second night of the fire) when the fire was really bad on this side.

Gordon
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 pm

IMG_20200610_123219_711.jpg
That looks like quite a show to me. I have never gotten to see the DC-10 operate in person. They did a good job you can see where the fire retardant kept the fire from creeping do to the houses.

This is the south side today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:04 pm

And another from Gordon's side of the mountain. I was just thinking monsoon season is going to be dangerous this year with all the vegetation gone on those steep slopes.
20200610_125943.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 pm

mdc5150 wrote:And another from Gordon's side of the mountain. I was just thinking monsoon season is going to be dangerous this year with all the vegetation gone on those steep slopes.
20200610_125943.jpg

And the lightning will be starting many more wildfires once the monsoons get kicked into gear.

Gordon
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 pm

bravo Gordonne!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock