FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Champion 6 lever

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Champion 6 lever

I love it! And that cutaway is 10 kinds of cool! I want!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 am

Great idea using allen wrenches, you need to push 6 levers and you have 6 positions for the handles. Perfect!

Cheers :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 am

barbarian & oldbiscuit... you've given some wonderful insight into a lock I wasn't real sure about. Thank you!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 am

Well, this was a good thread to necro... I totally forgot about this one and it's a damn good write up on the breakdown of one of these. I am stickying this!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I am always refining my own processes for decoding these "Champion" padlocks. There are two techniques for probing the gates. The first one involves inserting the probe between two levers, but sometimes there is not enough space between levers to do so, even with the smallest of wires. The second technique, as shown in this thread, involves inserting the probe on top of a neighboring lever and rotating it into the gate. However, I believe the information originally shown in this thread is flawed and somewhat misleading, even though the basic fundamentals for decoding were well described by the author. The problem is in the third picture showing the second lever being probed which translated into a .165 depth cut. This picture must have been taken with the fence removed. In reality, there is not enough lever displacement capability to expose this gate before bottoming out. This issue usually occurs with all depth cuts greater than .105 inch. When decoding "Champion" padlocks, the easier locks are always the ones with depth cuts less than .105 inch. I recently was exposed to this problem on one of my project locks, the one without the pin above the letter "H".
Last edited by Lauren on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

escher7

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:45 am

Oldbiscuit:

Do you try the depths randomly or is there a system? My understanding is that the lock design prevents exerting tension so as to detect the gates.

Follow up:

Now that I think about it the actuator spring does push on the crank, although not enough to hold the other levers in place. However it may be enough to feel the gates on the levers. Since your probes hold the levers in place I guess that is why the pick works. Correct??
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Esher, actually the way I do it ,and it works 99% of the time for me is as follows. I loosen the two screws on my pick just enough that the allen wrenchescan be pushed with a light pressure, but will stay in place if you back off the pushing pressure. I kind of match the tension to push the allen wrenches to the pressure it takes to push in the levers in the lock. Next I line up the pins equally across the bottom of the tool. Next I insert it in and pushgently while pulling up on the shackle. I kind of wiggle the tool a little in the lock and usually it will unlock. Once it's unlocked and opened, I reset the pick in the lock,make sure each pin is in till it stops, then I tighten the two screws. I relock the padlock and reinsert the pick and it will open right up. Did this make sense??
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I would like to see a video on that. I have yet to apply the ace pick principle successfully on any of my locks.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I wish I had a video camera, but I can't justify the expense
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I see that another popular web site which promotes the "DIX PIX" claims the ability to pick these locks in the same manner. I can see the tool working for locks with very shallow depth cut differences, but not many pancake locks made by "MILLER LOCK COMPANY" respond to shackle tension (wait a minute....I can't think of any). I have opened only two locks via shackle tension: EXCElSIOR & YALE.

So, I wish someone would do a serious video of a "Champion" pancake padlock (more than one in same video would be more credible) with high-low depth cut variations of picking these locks with a "DIX PIX" or similar tool....I'll believe it when I see it. These locks have gate cuts at .015". Even the slightest offset, and these locks will not open.
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Oldbiscuit:

So the method you are using is essentially the same as with a tubular pick. That would be consistent with the fact that there is tension against the levers - just not enough to hold the levers in place. Your device is responding to that pressure which is different for each lever, hence the difference in depth of each individual pick.

There is some question as to whether pulling on the shackle increases the pressure against the levers, due to the design. The following picture (from Graham Pulford's Encyclopedia) shows the unique design of the locking bar that isolates that pressure. As Pulford says:

"The clever aspect of this lock is that the actuator lever is the only one through which force can be applied to the stump of the crank. It is not known beforehand whichof the levers is the actuator: it could be any one of them. Furthermore, the force on the crank is caused by only one lever spring, which is considerably less than the force required to maintain the other five levers at the correct depths to align their gates. Thus, all levers must be moved to the correct depths at once, confounding a would-be lockpicker."(pp 381)

1. Shows the single spring of one of the levers putting pressure on the crank.
2. Shows the elbow of the crank stopping the shackle, and why pressure on the shackle would not effect the levers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Thank You....Enough said.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:18 am

I can also say I have never been able to apply shackle pressure and pick any Champion pancake lock. I have 7 pancake locks and using Laurens method of probing the levers is the only way I found it possible to open and manufacture keys to each one of them. There is only 3 pancake locks I have been able to open applying shackle pressure and those are Excelsior, Yale and Franklin.

I tried the method of using a single wire probe and marking it the said distance required then using the bottom of the case and measuring from there to the mark on the probe it doesn't work. Using 2 wire probe and making a mini caliper to measure the actual distance from the bottom of the lever to the gate is the only real way to get the true depth works perfect. I was at the end of hope until I talked with Lauren about how this really done as the method on another site with the Dix Pix just will not work. He was spot on with his method after I understood what to do I had the 2 problem champions open in less than and hour. And keys made for them in the same day. :mrgreen:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:11 am

Richard, I finally got my High Shackle "Champion". It was the hardest lock I ever had to decode. Only 3 levers would window the gates. Two of the remaining 3 levers would stick at the same depth when depressed with a needle tool. This suggested the levers would decode to the same depth cut. I had to play for hours setting my tool to various increments. It was like trying to solve a math problem with two unknowns ( 0, .045, .015, x, x, y). Sometimes levers will catch the fence, but this is not the true depth. There seems to be a constant that one can add to get the true depth cut. The theory still needs more test locks. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, this project lock defies the norm for decoding procedures. I still need to refine a process for determining obscured gates when it occurs. The problem may only exist with locks prior to 1903. Further research is needed.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:30 am

But since there is some pressure on the levers, albeit just from the one spring, isn't it possible to feel that first gate on the "thickest" lever? It is true that the pressure would not hold it in place, but if you found the first gate by trying all the levers and then used a pin setting on the "Dix Pix" to hold that first lever in place, you could go on to find the next gate and so on?? Or is the pressure from that one spring not enough to give feedback? I don't have one of the locks so I am just thinking theoretically.
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock