FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

remote controlled lock

<<

ARF-GEF

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 am

remote controlled lock

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a remote controlled lock. Or more precisely something like a latch or a deadbolt.
It will be for a friend's sons's "secret stash" situated behind a small bookcase on hinges, in a little brick alcove (God knows why that's there...). So there should be no keyholes or any sign of the lock outside.

Since this is a child's project I'm not looking for high secure things, of course it should fulfil the function of a lock, but the key is being battery operated, easy to install and reasonably reliable.
There is no need for many fancy functions, time locks, various users etc, just a remote controller and some kind of latch like thing it operates. 2 keys are needed or 3 tops.

It shouldn't be too expensive and should be available either world-wide, or in Europe or at least be bought online.

I've also though of RFID based solutions, but the wood is around 2 inches thick, not sure if that would be an issue, plus I don't want too much assembly and complications. Simplicity and ease of installation is a focus :)
I also don't want to hassle with electric cables because A.) I'm lazy, B.) It shouldn't be dangerous to the child and C.) I don't want to undertake serious modifications to the place apart from drilling a few holes and putting some screws in.

I hope some of you will have some kind of handy solution :)
Thanks for your help

PS.: this is the "unhinged" end of the bookcase and the other pic is the part of the wall which is next to bookcase.

Man, it's nice to visit the site again :)

Pics of the situation:
http://i.imgur.com/j0LN8FO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u9fJK7t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vHEMVpU.jpg
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 am

Re: remote controlled lock

Magnets come to mind. There are cabinet magics that can be released by remote. Although if the only reason for remote is that it remains hidden, then you could use a metal slide bolt and a magnet to slide it from the outside.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:31 am

I'd be inclined to agree with MDC and go manual but I've done some preliminary hunting and found this unit.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Remote-Control-K ... 3a930f4109

It will require some minor mods but nothing too complicated,

I found some concealed locks a few months ago I'll see if i can find them again.

ETA:
Here's a controller which will require the power supply and the solenoid/bolt to be purchased separately. AliExpress stocks all the parts required but this may be more of a project than you are willing to tackle.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC3-5V-W ... 52996.html

If you want to spend some time and browse around the site (aliExpress) you may find just the thing you are looking for.

Some other parts these may be of varying voltages (variable or fixed resistors can change the voltages from the P/S to suit) but give you an idea of a simple system and approximate cost. If you can get access to a receptacle you can use a power adapter or use a 9v battery or or whatever you can scrounge up/home brew for a power supply.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cabinet- ... 97077.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-matc ... 93747.html
Last edited by Doogs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Mcof

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Keep in mind that whatever he/she goes with should be easily operated from the inside, illuminated, and fail-safe if applicable.

ARF-GEF wrote:I've also though of RFID based solutions, but the wood is around 2 inches thick, not sure if that would be an issue

I'm actually a fan of the $10 RFID keypads (500 user model, with the nuvoton chip and separate rf board) because they work through 1.5 to 2 inches of wood. Add an electromagnet and lighted button and you have something workable.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:18 pm

yaay thank you guys for the great ideas :)
yes I thought of the internal release, I want to make it so (if it's electric) that it can be operated fully manually from the isnide. But it's really small so there is not much space there
it would be for a child's small treasures :)
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Agree with the others.

You could use a steel/iron bolt and a Niobium magnet or if it has to be electrical - wind yourself a solenoid and have two "secret" contacts for a 9V battery or make a "battery key" .

If your into electronics (or know someone that is) you can make a simple circuit using a photo resistor (or LDR -light dependent resistor) as a switch at the back of a small hole. You then just shine a torch into the hole to activate the solenoid. according to Wikipedia they are used on American streetlights. Could be a good place to pick up a ready made switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoresistor
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:46 am

Hey everyone!
Thank you all for your help. You’ve offered a lot of it and a ton of great ideas. It was hard to choose.
I decided to try two magnetic drawer baby-locks, because they are simple, uncomlicated, cheap and easy to install. I was looking for the simplest most foolproof way and they seem to be the one. Even fucntional without electricity so no worries about batteries or possibly dangerous cabling.

The sliding metal bolt was also great, but it would be more complicated to install than a pre manufactured solution. And I'm lazy. Very much so.
Neilaus's idea was also super cool, but I have very feint idea about electricity and didn't want to ask favours to offer help to a friend if I could do it myself.

I admit it’s not fancy, and there were a lot of really cool indeas tempting me. But I like the elegance of this super simple solution and that it’s hassle free to install and hopefully maintenance free.
Since there will be no actualy valuables stored the lack of security is not an issue. And for a child a magnetic lock is already super cool :D
Thank you for your enthusiastic help and support!

Will see how it holds up and if it fails I’ll keep you updated with my experience.
<<

scudo

Post Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:27 pm

You could use a steel/iron bolt and a Niobium magnet or if it has to be electrical - wind yourself a solenoid and have two "secret" contacts for a 9V battery or make a "battery key" .

I remember something similar from my boyhood days (probably some boyhood project) it was a solenoid with battery on the locked side and there were to nails just protruding through to the unlocked side, the `magic` part was the secret ring you wore as that when pressed against the 2 protruding nails completed the circuit and operated the solenoid. Had me enthralled at the time but never got around to making it.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock